+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF Egg collection

Hi, I am new to the bubhub and it's my first post... We as about to start IVF on my next cycle and while I have been given all the info and wow talk about a lot of information!
    So in our nurses interview we have been given the choice of egg collection being done either under a full anaesthic or under a local. I am a little unsure of what I want to do and wondering if anyone has done it under the local and what I can expect. From what the nurse mentioned they give me a local and then another local in the vaginal wall. The whole thing takes about 30mins and I will get to see everything and hubby is there too. I guess I am a little worried just due to the length of time not to mention the discomfort, but on the other hand it could be quiet interesting.
    Any help would be great
    thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had it done both ways and would take local over general 100 times. They will give u a little sedation to keep u relaxed. It's all over in less than half an hour and your home with in 2 hours. The discomfort was fine, a couple of panadol post op and i was great.
    For me it takes ages to wake up from general and i feel terribly nauseous.
    Good luck

Poppy x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoppyLoppy For This Useful Post:

Nala9000  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had my first EPU under general and was not given a choice.

Have you ever had general before? Do you know how you cope after?

It can make you very groggy and some people have nausea (I skipped the nausea but was very groggy).

I'm a shy person so the poking an prodding with several ppl in the room for half an hour doesn't appeal to me very much.

You will have internal scans, probably two before EPU so you will have a sense for the discomfort you may experience although local should numb the whole area.

Some of my follicles were stuck on my uterus wall so maybe that's why I wasn't given a choice.

I think its about what your comfortable with. It does sound interesting if you can see something on the screen and hubby can be there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamin For This Useful Post:

Nala9000  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had EPU with both general & local.

With the GA it was much easier mentally & physically for me. Being unconscious for the procedure & waking up in recovery after it was over was great.

My current clinic only do LA at the surgery closest to me. I could have a GA but only at their CBD surgery (which isn't convenient). With the LA, you don't feel them giving you the anaesthetic internally and you are given a sedative (via cannular) that makes you very woozy & light headed. You will feel a dull sensation as the needle goes into your ovary, and then it is quite uncomfortable while they poke around to drain all the follies. Not excruciating pain, but certainly unpleasant. Its also a bit weird being awake & chatting to people while your lower half is exposed under bright lights.

Although the whole EPU process from start to finish is 20-30 mins, the actual time spent retrieving the eggs is much less. Maybe 5 mins per side, depends how many follies you have. For that short amount of time I tell myself "I can get through this", grit my teeth, take deep breaths & tolerate it as best I can!

The advantages of the LA were that my DH was allowed in with me, I could see the eggs on the screen as they were found, and I could leave afterwards whenever I was ready.

I've heard of ladies having the LA and breezing through their EPUs, so not everyone is a wuss like me! Unfortunately you won't know how easy you'll handle it until its your turn in the chair, everyone is different.

Good luck with your cycle!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

Nala9000  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point about feeling exposed

Thanks
    Reviews
    WOW thanks for all the replies guys, it has been a great help especially as I am a little nervous.

Thanks for all the detail too, we are leaning towards the LA as the last time I was under a GA it took me a while to recover.

I was worried about the pain more than anything, but it sounds ok. It is all a little daunting but I can put up with being a little uncomfortable. I guess seeing the process too will be quiet interesting hopefully a little distracting from all the people in the room!

You've given us a wonderful insight to this and it is great to be able to talk about it with people that have been through it.

Last edited by Nala9000; 15-03-2012 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you have something in between? I had twilight sedation and it was great.

I am with Genea, and they advertise that the do the whole "able to be awake to watch it all on the screen" on their website, but my my particular branch doesn't do it, they do the twilight sedation. My nurse said they find it much less stressful for the woman as well as the man, it's prob not always a nice thing for them to watch. A lots of guys (including mine) can be a bit squeamish.

My partner had to wait outside, which was actually better for him and what i would rather. Staff were lovely, they put a needle in my hand and gave me some i.v. valium, i just went straight to sleep and woke up in recovery as if from a nice sleep. I didn't have a tube down my throat, and i walked out of there about an hour later. I'd def recommend it. I personally would rather just be asleep than awake while 5 people are in the room doing the EPU. Best of luck for yours!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Nala9000  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Clementine Grace;6444902]Can you have something in between? I had twilight sedation and it was great.

Interesting... I am with Genea at Bella Vista. I don't recall them offering the twilight sedation during the nurses interview. That is a happy medium. I am a little hesitant with a full sedation just due to my recovery nausea and the amount of time it takes me.

Going to give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch and good luck with your cycle

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Genea too. I had a twilight for all three of my egg pick ups. I love it. If they gave me access to those drugs I would be giving myself a 'twilight' right now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rittzy For This Useful Post:

Nala9000  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Rittzy, definitely getting the twilight sounds like the better option. Though I haven't experienced what you have, I hope the next path you choose will work out

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nala9000 For This Useful Post:

Rittzy  (24-03-2012)