+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lazy eye

My 2 y.o DS has just been diagnosed with a lazy eye. He needs to wear a patch on his left eye for three hours a day and the opthamologist has recommended surgery.

Can others please tell me their experiences? I have done a bit of reading on the net and would like to know how they can tell whether child needs glasses or surgery? Anyone know of someone who didn't have the surgery and how they feel about it? The patch will help correct the vision but the opthamologist said the surgery is purely to improve appearance to prevent low self esteem.

I love my little man wonky eye and all I think he's perfect, but I know others can be cruel and don't ant him picked on throughout life (he was also born with a severe flattening of the side of his head that he had a corrective helmet until 14 months with some improvement).

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing for when I have more time to reply properly. In short - I had this as a child, had an op when I was 4 and have been great since.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my sister and I had lazy eyes as kids - she had surgery, I had weird exercises with what I remember to be a funny old woman.
    My sisters never got better properly and she now needs glasses to see any thing other than a blur.
    Mine I can feel turn very very slightly when I'm dead tired but I don't wear any glasses for any reason now- and I still do my exercises when I'm laying in bed (when I don't pass out cold as my head touches the pillow)
    Just my families experience but I can't tell you how bad either of our eyes were or anything so probably not tonnes of help - but maybe id want a second opinion on the surgery option if it was us?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipsicle For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my younger sister's lazy eye was discovered when she was a similar age, she was meant to wear a patch, had surgery and was told if she wore her glasses she would only need them till she was 13. Then her eye muscles would be strong enough and her vision good enough not to need glasses. She did not take the doctors advice is now, 19 and will forever need glasses and no eye surgery now will correct it. My parents sought a number of doctors advice before going ahead, they all agreed it was what she needed. If your worried see another doctor or two and see if they suggest a long similar lines. I know my sister regrets being stubborn and more worried about her image as a 10 year old and is now stuck with the expense and look of glasses as an adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was discovered when I was around 2-3 years I wasn't given an operation until I was around 6 I had 4 corrective surgeries and it's still not perfect mainly when I'm tired it shows having a lazy eye is not something I would want my daughter to go through after going through it myself its sad that kids can be very very cruel these days, and as much as we love our kids for who they are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it, had 3 operations at age 3 and another at 18 when it returned slightly after year 12 studying

All good, no issues (except I can't see in 3d so miss all the cool 3d movies and can't do those dotty puzzle things where you need 3d Vision). I also find t hard to drive at night as people with this condition don't focus their eyes together very well (ie one eye works at any one time) so I try to avoid it (but will if I have to and it's a familiar road)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little sister had this around the same age, she wore a patch for a while and glasses until she was a teenager. She doesn't need the glasses anymore but for a long time (maybe still, I'm not sure) you could tell if she was tired because her eye would start moving in a bit. I'm not sure if surgery was ever an option but my parents are pretty surgery-averse so I don't think they would have gone down that route if it was just for cosmetic reasons. I don't remember my sister getting a hard time from other kids - she was well out of the patch by the time she started school and she wasn't the only kid with glasses at school.