+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hemorrhoids....

I think I have this nasty thing... I am 24 weeks pregnant. Any ideas for remedies? I am happy to get something from the chemist (or send DH!) but wondered what else I can do. I drink lots of water, have never been constipated, eat high fibre diet, etc so I am not sure why this has happened!

I am hoping they don't last long??

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had one with DS2 and one with DD, and I was in no way constipated! Apart from avoiding straining on the toilet (which isn't a problem for you anyway) there's really not much you can do to avoid them I'm afraid. One of those "part and parcel of being pregnant" things.

On the bright side, Anusol from the chemist helps with both pain and inflammation; it will immediately provide some relief, and used over time it will reduce the size. I would recommend getting a tube ASAP, and combining with some Panadol if it's really ouchy.

Hope it clears up soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Use wipes when you poop, they are much gentler than dry toilet paper. Oh you can get anusol wipes too, they are medicated so work both ways

And have a salt bath, I lived in them when I was pregnant both times!

You poor thing they are the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you lambjam!! Much appreciated. DH is on his way to the chemist now, bless him. I have an office job and sit on my a** all day so am hoping it clears up soon!! I have had hardly any adverse pregnancy symptoms so I suppose I was due something or other...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If they get really bad you can get a prescription cream called Scheriproct. Expensive, but worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks noskie and cindye as well. Will try salt bath if it doesn't clear up soon. I've heard I should try sleeping on my left side? I try to do that anyway since I am pg but often end up on my right or on my back...

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can use a medicated cream called Protosedyl, but not for longer than a week. A cotton pad soaked in witch hazel and placed on the area helps. Witch hazel is dead cheap from the pharmacy.
    Also if they are stinging/itching vicks vaporub soothes, I just put this on the same cotton pad as the witch hazel. Yes I know that sounds like a terrible thing to put in that area, but trust me it works! I think it is the menthol that works - I used a natural version of pawpaw ointment with menthol in it.

Hope they are getting better, its not a pleasant thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the Proctosedyl. I had nasty ones post both births. I think you'll find that stuff is stronger than some other brands. Also (and sorry for the TMI)... in the shower it helps to gently give them a poke back where they came from!