+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found out that my great-great-gradfather's wife had a miscarriage on the ship on the way over to australia and tried to commit suicide by jumping over the edge. Apparently she was heard fighting with my gg grandfather in their cabin just beforehand. A sailor caught her before she could jump and there was a big inquest at sea to find out what happened.

There are copies of the hand written eye witness reports in my gg grandfather's war records as he was in the imperial army at the time and his officer in command ran the hearing.
    His records also show that he was a dodgy soldier, going awol all the time and getting into fights. The records alude to the fact that he was violent toward my gg grandmother too.

Aside from him, one of our first family members to come over on the first ships was a remittance man, which (from what I've been told) basically means he was a bad person or embarrassing to the family, so they sent him over here with a pension basically to live out his life and die where he couldn't cause anymore trouble to the family.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My maternal great grandparents lost a baby soon after birth, I found this out before my Nan did, they are her parents. She always wondered why there is such a big age gap between her & her brother.

Nan's grandfather was a barber who wore silk dress shirt & carried a ruby in his top pocket. Turned out he was an illegal bookie.

My Dad parents married in December 1960, he was born may 1961. Dad didn't know I knew that one till last Christmas.

My grand fathers mum was raise by her aunt, everyone always though her 'mum' was her mum till Pop told u after she died.

There's a very big mystery surrounding FIL's birth. His mum is from Ukraine, she fled to Germany during WW2 & hoped a ship to either Melbourne or Sydney. If you ask her who FIL's father is she says 'big German solider' I have a feeling she was raped in a POW camp, fell pregnant than met & married Grandpa Joe before they got on the ship.

So many skeletons in my families closets, I'll post a link to my family tree later.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a few.

My grandma and her siblings found out a few years ago that during the war, while my great grandfather was away, my great grandmother had an affair, got pregnant and gave the baby up for adoption. My grandmother is one of the elder children and had no idea her mother was pregnant, she was at least 7 or 8. They didn't find out until the adopted sister contacted the family.

My aunt did alot of research into our family history. She got a copy of my pop's father's death certificate who died when my pop was young. He had alot of problems and EVERYONE in the family thought his death was alcohol related. Turns out he actually killed himself My pop had no idea and was really shocked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found out via my DH that my Dad spent a good chunk of his life before we were born in prison.

You really wouldn't think it if you saw him in his slippers with his 'Grandpa glasses' on, dipping bickies in his cup of tea.

I also found out via my DH that my Pop did something truly heroic in WW2, which forced him to flee his home country and stow away on a ship bound for Australia.

No idea why my family can share these things openly with DH, but keep them locked down tight with me

I am learning that my family history is more colorful than a full box of crayons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found out a few years ago from my mum's mum (nan) that when my mum was 16 she was kidnapped from a party, drugged, beaten and raped over and over for 4 days before she was let go. I don't really know the full details. All i know is not only did they rape her but they burnt her down "there" and did all sorts of nasty things to her, and that there were 3 of them, one was a 15yr old boy, the other was like 18 and the eldest was about 30 or so, and he was the one that got the longest prision sentance of 20 years. No wonder my mum has mental issues.

My step cousin's parents used to have this other couple that they were good friends with and all 4 of them grew up together... This other couple were basically a part of the family, always at family functions etc. Anyways my cousin when she was about 16 came home from school sick one day and went into her parents bedroom to lay down and watch a movie, and found a video tape in it with dates written on the sticker, so i guess being a 16yr kid was curious as what was on it. Well she turned it and saw a home movie of her parents and this other couple having sex with each other... Anyways long story short, turns out that my cousin's "dad" is the man from this other couple

And nans sister got married had 2 daughters, her husband was an absuive violent alcoholic who she left when the girls were i think around 4 and 6. Then a few years later she met this really nice guy who was in the navy, whom she eventually married. Anyways i don't really remember how it all got found out but turns out this "nice" guy was wanted in NZ for rape and murder, was also wanted in Canada for rape and abduction of a 10yr old girl, and similar pedaphile charges in the U.K, all going on while he was married to her. Can you imagine how you would deal with something like that, finding out that your husband was a pedophile and murderer and you had young daughters? Apparently he never touched them though. AND the kicker in all of this is EVERYONE who met this man would go on and on about how nice he was and genuine and good to my nans sister and the girls. Really makes you stop and think, that you really never know anyone huh?

Lastly DH's who is the youngest of 4 siblings (they are all much older than him too) found out last xmas from his eldest brother, that the last time his youngest brother was in prision (like 15 years ago) it wasn't for breaking and entering as my In-laws had told him... it was for raping a girl! DH is yet to confront his parents over this, and i have a feeling he never will. Needless to say i don't feel very comfortable around his youngest brother anymore (never did really)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My grandmother was part of the stolen generation, and due to this could never function as a mother, she constantly had children and put them into foster homes (my mother was #2), over the years 11 children seen homes. My mother was fostered out to multiple couples through the muswellbrook and scone areas and was constantly raped by the men of the couples, my mother swears the wives knew about it. When it got too much for the wives, they would put her into foster homes again and again. She had me when she was 16 because my dad used to shimmy up the drain pipes at the foster home. Now, she's a mental case with major drug & alcohol issues!!

My great-grandmother went loony and was committed to a mental asylum, I always grew up wondering why somebody would be given the name 'Cybill' if they went a little silly lol

Not much else in my family - that I'm aware of

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow some of these stories are just so heartbreaking.
    My grandparents were in holland when the nazis invaded. My grandfather was a university educated man and was called in to go work for them. He was in the line to be taken by bus to who knows where and a German guard told him to run and hide. He ran home to my grandmother and hid under the floorboards. If they had raids during the night, my grandmother would jump up and make his bed, hide him away and pretend there was nothing happening. She slept with a gun under her pillow. All of their friends were taken to the gas chambers and never seen again. It's so sad. I just can't comprehend how people lived through these times.

My dad was in the war in Vietnam and used to joke about us having a sibling over there. He passed away 6 months ago and we found heaps of photos of a Vietnamese lady who we think he was 'dating' over there, saying how mich she loved him etc etc. He was only 19 so very young and silly! Before he died he would talk about it alot and I guess I will always be wondering now...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum told me that my grandma(her mum) had had her when she was 16 and put her up for adoption(this was in the 1960's). My mums adoptive mother found her bio mum for her when she was 16, and there was an article in the paper about it when it happened. My mum also told me my grandpa(her mums husband) wasn't her real dad(she never knew him) and that he raped her when she was 16(both grandma and i guess step-grandad both deny this). I have never looked at him the same way again and voided being round him during my late teens. My mums adoptive mother apologizes to her all the time for finding her family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandmother and her best friend at the age of 14 used to go to the port when navel ships came in and well..... That's how my mother was conceived.... Her real father was (at the time of conception) a 40 something-year-old with a wife and teenage children back in england, my grandmother took his name to her grave. Because she was only 14 she was sent away until the baby was born and then when she returned, the baby was raised by her patents until she married, so for the first 3 years of life my mother was my grandmothers "sister" make sense? My grandfather then married grandma and my mother was then given back to my grandmother and raised as her child.

DH's great grandfather was a WW2 nazi..... My FIL has his war medals, they never get displayed or talked about though

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad is from Hungary, the whole family fled communist attack during ww2. Their house in Budapest was bombed and they had to flee to the bottom of Italy and get on a ship to Australia.

My grandfather was Armenian royalty and my grandmother was hungarian royalty. My great grand mother had her portrait painted by Rembrandt. My grandfather had had an invitation to the (English) queen mother's wedding as she was a cousin through his grandmother (my great great grandmother). The same great great grandmother had passed on invitations that she had kept to soirees for performances by schubert. These few precious items they took from the rubble of their bombed house were later sold through sotherby's when they arrived in Australia to start their new life. All of us kids have a few pieces of silverware with the family crest that were also salvaged.