+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My surname isn't actually my surname, my grandparents ( german) has to escape the country during the was and made up the surname to get out. My grandfather stepped on a mine and lost his leg escaping and survived!!

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My family doesn't do secrets well.. when they adopt babies they are white babies to black parents or vice versa so that's a total secret fail.

HOWEVER.... My father's cousin and her family stopped my mother from doing a semi-private Family tree Publication as they did not want printed that her grand parents were not married when her father was born. These people would be close to 150 years old IF they were alive so the child of the non marriage and their parents are well and truly dead. She just didn't want it known that her father was a *******. Even though my mother found this all out through Freely available records.

Also my mother having done the family tree has found things like Entire families born out of wed-lock because the "Local" Preacher would be lucky to make it into a bush town every few years, and when he did he would be so busy with Christenings, weddings and funerals that you might have missed out when he was in town that time and would have to wait until the next time for you christening, wedding or funeral. Couples would just shack up and make families and then get married when their turn came around with the preacher.

I've also been told of a distant relative who was apparently had children to a father and son, another who had children to brothers, one woman married 2 man with the same name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    My surname isn't actually my surname, my grandparents ( german) has to escape the country during the was and made up the surname to get out. My grandfather stepped on a mine and lost his leg escaping and survived!!
    OMG was talking to dad tonight about this thread and just found out that my great grandfather was a priest in the same was and answered the door at dinner time and was never seen again!! Holy crap!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nan had a baby girl in the 50's who died of spina bifida at 3months- this is known in the family, but what wasn't know was the circumstances around the birth and the a hole my pop was. Only came out last October to me. I was the one who told my mum and aunties about it.
    So many family secrets exists but think of how many go untold

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    My MIL has always been a prude, always complained about how her DH (R.I.P) was a nympho and how she hated it and how she suffered so much thrush and UTI's and just hated hated it... and that he'd want to do it 3-5 times a day and how much she hated it.....
    and how my BIL used to bang on their door at night and say "You leave Mum alone!"

DH and BIL both have low sex drives as a result of growing up in that....

and she told me last time I saw her... that in 43 years of marriage, she NEVER had an orgasm...

I almost cried for her.

No wonder she hated sex so much.

Have your parents or in-laws ever told you something that makes you see their views and reactions in a different light?
    That's really sad for your mother in law. Imagine finding sex painful and being made to do it every day! And your kids could hear you complaining wtf.. Is it just me or is that a bit weird and awful and kind of makes me think her husband was a big jerk? Something telling about my family.. Well we have so many skeletons in the closet its hard to shut. We have it all. Drug addicts, prostitution, children being adopted out and taken away and mystery sperm donor fathers etc.. Its complicated. My mother in law is a very closed book. She is a bit old fashioned like that and wouldn't like to make her husband look bad.. She has told me that every time she used to roll over she would get pregnant lol.. She told me when it was the 25th birthday of their stillborn baby which I found very sad nothing much else besides that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My grandfather found out quite late in life that his "sister" was actually his mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. This thread has so many interesting 'secrets' in it! When my Papa (grandfather) was close to death (a few weeks off) he disappeared and everyone in fam thought he'd flown his plane somewhere, anywhere, and would never return. Everyone was so worried! My grandmother 'Nana' thought he'd gone to Germany for radical treatment all too late, wherein it transpired he had prostate cancer, and generalised everywhere-else cancer, and suddenly we found out he'd been living with cancer for 30+ years. So the mood swings, strange health kicks and mountains of raw juice and fruit diet he ate immediately made sense.

Now I'm trawling my memory, as I know there's more!
    My SIL just found out she needs a hysterectomy (poor thing) for early stage cancer, and I found out a few days ago during talk of SIL upcomong op that my MIL also had this. Recently there was all that awful stuff on the news about failed breast implants, and she said 'Lucky I didn't have those and had my own tissue instead' ~ turns out she had a double mastectomy ten years ago for breast cancer, too (...seems BRAC [DNA] mutations run in the fam). Everytime something in the news came on about the failed implants, she'd mention it, and it occurred to me she was thinking that's what the implants were mainly for, women who'd had mastectomies, not for vain chicks who want bigger or more shapely boobs, and those born with hardly any bust!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Me too!
    But our surname was changed to appear more "western" when dads family came to Australia in the early 1900s.

And also we found out one of our ancestors was a naval admiral in word war I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my aunties had a baby when she was 15 and put her up for adoption. No one really spoke of this even though I think most of the family knew. The girl tracked down my Aunty last year and is now in her 30s with her own family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by carleena View Post
    One of my aunties had a baby when she was 15 and put her up for adoption. No one really spoke of this even though I think most of the family knew. The girl tracked down my Aunty last year and is now in her 30s with her own family.
    Also my mum told me that my greatt grandmother suffered from dementia and thought she was the queen. Insisted on being called your majesty. My nana on the other hand claims that this is untrue. I tend to believe mum though!