+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default SPIN OFF - When did you first take your child to the dentist?

Spin off from the do you floss your toddlers teeth thread.

When should you start taking your children to the dentist?

Hayden turned 2 in december, and I haven't taken him yet. I didn't think there was much point? His teeth have lots of space between them and one is very very crooked. I've been wondering if I should be taking him..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I took my son around the time he turned 3, but I probably could have taken him a bit earlier. Although the dentist said around 3, but I've heard other people say their dentist says earlier.

Although, as per the other thread, I'm not really shining light for children't dental care...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Me neither MsMummy, My DH has REALLY terrible bad bad teeth, and I'm so worried Hayden will end up in the same boat, yet I can't get him to brush his teeth properly, and holding him down to do it it like absolute torture for him. Argh. But I don't want to set him up for a life with god awful teeth like his father. Makes me sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    12 months. She went yearly until she turned 3 and now goes 6 monthly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My dentist recommended to take him at 3 yo so that's what I did. He was fine despite having a bit of fear after seeing me have my teeth cleaned there.

It sounds so hard, my DS has always been great with teeth brushing. Has never complained and I really can't think of anything magical that I did, it's just him. Although now I have to nag him because he's always in the middle of something else when it's teeth time but he still lets me.

Have you tried the fancy flashing toothbrushes or letting him choose one and making it fun?

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 3. We'd been taking her along to our six monthly visits so she was very familiar with it all. I plan on taking her every 6 to 12 months now, same as us.

Sent from my LT18a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably a little off topic..
    When i was UTD with DD i signed up with some dental health study thing in Logan, QLD. I think it has been great.
    It was only supposed to be for the first 2 years after DD was born. They came and did home visits i think quarterly and when she hit two we went into the dentist surgery where they check her teeth properly etc.

The home visits consisted of them asking me a quick survey, and then take some saliva samples from both myself and DD. They would check the bacteria levels in our saliva and would call back with the results a few days later. Also they would give me information and support on when to start brushing for DD etc. they also give us free toothbrushes and toothpaste (which we can call up and get more if we need it in between visits).

The results of the saliva tests would tell me whether DD or I had high levels of the decay causing bacteria, or the bacteria that causes decay causing bacteria.. so either way it was very helpful as they would tell me what i could do to get it down so that she has healthy dental hygiene.

They have since extended it to Primary School years (can't rememeber what age) however it is only yearly now and will be only for her not me. I would like to do it again with this bub, but not sure if they start new studies for new babies. Oh and its all free!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im about to take dd 4. I want her to get used to going beforr she has any probs as i dont want her first visit to be frightening or painful

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub