+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought about Tupperware but don't want to pressure family and friends into parties etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    I thought about Tupperware but don't want to pressure family and friends into parties etc

There are plenty of other ways to get sales besides friends and family!
    advertising at local notice boards, internet (facebook), playgroups, community centers - nowdays there are endless opportunities

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats exactly right tayasmummy. There's so many places to get parties... To start u need 4 parties, its usually family and friends that have a party for u to start but not always the case... T be honest my first 4 parties , my husband had one, a friend had one, my brothers friend had one and a stranger had one.. And that was the last and only time my friends and family have had a party for me.. The business is designed to not rely on one group of people for parties and really, th penny people that have a party and those that want one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I quit our jobs to start a business in 2007. Despite having done years of research and having experience, the business was not a success.

My advice would be:

1. It's going to take up WAAAAYYYY more time than you thought it would so it helps if you are doing something you are really passionate about, then you don't mind that you worked 80 hours in the last week and earnt $300. We liked our business, but were not crazy-in love with it.

2. Try to do something that doesn't require you to spent lots of money upfront, buying stock etc. If it doesn't work you'll be only down a small amount instead of having to pay back debts for years.

3. Whatever you decide to do, go and work in that industry doing the same or something very similar for at least 6 months before you start. You might think you know everything now, but I assure you - you will learn stuff.

4. Learn how to do accounting and manage your finances before you start. You just won't have time afterwards. Doing all that stuff is make or break although it's also boring!

5. Finally, if you are thinking that a business will allow you to stay at home and earn money easier than if you went to work - you are totally wrong. Now that I am working for a big company again, it is so so soooo nice that every week I know I will get paid. I can pay my rent, eat, pay bills etc, even when the week has been quiet. With the business the stress is always there that you won't have enough money.

Yes, you could be wildly successful, but always keep the downside in mind too. There are risks and anyone who tells you that you "just need to believe in yourself and be positive" just doesn't know what they are talking about, to be brutally honest.
    It's like running a marathon - you can be as positive as you like, but if you haven't done any running since school then there is no way you're going to win. Go into it in the best shape, and with the best training that you can, knowing that it's going to be hard - then you can win.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completely Agree Wippy!

also my parents own a successful business and my MIL owns two successful businesses, one thing I have learnt from them is to always gives 100% into what ever you do and you only get out what you put in (with in reason)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I gaz everyone is right you all are so experienced and I appreciate your advice. I hope I do something soon so I can support my family and live a comfortable life.