+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd is 8 months now and i still hold her and pat to fall asleep. As soon as i see tired signs i cuddle her and it only takes 5 minutes and she's out. sleeps from 10 at night till 8 am in her own cot.
    I dont think you are setting up for anything bad. They grow up so quick and then they won't want you lol let alone need you. DD1 (10) and DD2 (4) go straight off to bed at night no questions asked, with a story kiss and lights off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say that at 8 weeks DD3 would only sleep in my arms. I had no probs but DP was very worried. I persisted and it didnt last long. Then slept awesome after being put down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is nothing wrong with starting to teach a baby how to self settle, not everyone can feed/rock/pat their babies to sleep for years. They may need to go back to work after a few months, or believe that sleep independence is important, or just not want to and that is totally fine. There is also nothing wrong with feeding/rocking/patting to sleep either. They both work.

To answer your question OP: All babies have unsettled periods at some point during the day, you bubs is having his early evening for now ( commonly know as the arsenic hours!!) Is it normal? YES!

Just because they CAN self settle doesn't mean that they WILL.

My experience with my DS was a little different in that he used to always be unsettled and difficult in the mornings. Now he sleeps great in the mornings and is more difficult to settle in the afternoon (probably because he is now 6 months and knows there are more exciting things to be doing than sleep). He can self settle, and in the mornings and evening after a quick cuddle he usually does, but in the afternoon he usually doesn't. In the afternoon I start with trying to leave him to sleep, then after a few minutes I intervene, then if that doesn't work I try something else, if all else fails I feed him to sleep. Intervening in the afternoon does not impact on his ability to fall asleep easily in the morning or evening.

OP, does adding in the bath/shower overstimulate him or add to much extra time between wakings that he becomes too tired? A too tired baby cannot easily fall asleep. At 7 weeks anything more than an hour is too long to be awake.
    You could try changing the time that you do your bedtime routine, try the earlier feed or the next later one. It may just be that this isn't the right time for your baby to go to bed at the moment.
    Have you tried feeding him before the bath, he may not be enjoying it if he is hungry. You can top up feed again afterwards.

Please do not feel that you can't/should not do whatever you need to get your baby to sleep. Whilst learning the skill of self settling is something everyone does eventually, the most important thing for you and your baby right now is to be happy and well rested. Enjoy those extra cuddles because before you know it they have grown so much. Good Luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't stress too much... Enjoy the cuddles

To get my 12 week old to sleep I normally lie down on the bed with him feeding til he's asleep then we leave him there til we go to bed (he doesn't sleep well with us).

Ds2 was one that would only settle when rocked... One thing I always did was feed, put down in bed then get them up again if they don't settle. Ds was rocked until about 18months then one night I put him in his bed and he settled from every night on. I think he felt secure knowing we'd come back if he needed us...

Goodluck! He won't always need you to fall asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm just trying at this stage and he's doing really well so I want to keep trying to get him off to sleep in his own bed (even if it is only during the day). I should have mentioned I do give him lots of cuddles and reassurance once he goes down and he's never left to cry. Once I see his tired signs I wrap him, give him a cuddle and pat, but before he drops off to sleep completly I put him into bed. I'm just trying to get that connection with bed and going to sleep.
    I'm not stressed about a stricked routine and if he does fall asleep with me doing all of the above I'm happy. For me it's worth a try when he's getting heavier and one of his fav things to put him to sleep is walking (esp. up and down the stairs).
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mizz View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm just trying at this stage and he's doing really well so I want to keep trying to get him off to sleep in his own bed (even if it is only during the day). I should have mentioned I do give him lots of cuddles and reassurance once he goes down and he's never left to cry. Once I see his tired signs I wrap him, give him a cuddle and pat, but before he drops off to sleep completly I put him into bed. I'm just trying to get that connection with bed and going to sleep.
    I'm not stressed about a stricked routine and if he does fall asleep with me doing all of the above I'm happy. For me it's worth a try when he's getting heavier and one of his fav things to put him to sleep is walking (esp. up and down the stairs).
    Thanks again
    Sounds like you are doing a great job. Fingers crossed by the time he hits 12 weeks the unsettled period will have calmed down and you will have a great sleeper.