+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Eating clinic at westmead

Hi

Has anyone been to the feeding clinic at westmead?

Do they deal with toddlers who just dont eat? Is it helpful?

Ds1 just doesnt eat. It's not even fussiness now, it's just refusal. Junk food doesn't even work that much.

It's gotten to the point where he gets sick every 2 or 3 weeks, and he is so skinny, there isn't an inch of fat on his body.

He won't eat with us at the dinner table and he won't eat by himself. He likes something one day and will refuse it every other time.

I don't know what to do. I'm sick of cooking. I feel like what's the point, he won't eat anyway. I throw out the majority of food I cook for him.

I feel like I've tried everything.

If anyone knows about westmead or somewhere else to go in Sydney I'm willing to go anywhere.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went for an assessment last week there with both of my boys who are bad eaters. You might have more luck then we did getting help if your DS is skinny.

Mine have a very limited diet (no fruit or vegies and not much else), the same refusals with going near new foods and the table. Mine however are not underweight. Their issues have stem from major hearing and speech problems.

We were told that because the boys are not underweight, have a "varied" diet, and are not developmentally delayed that can't help us. Just told us that we were in for years of tantrums, fighting and starving the boys to eat, IF we see a difference at all. They gave us a list of 12 recommendations (of which 1 we haven't previously tried), and no follow up appointment.

Needless to say, walked out very upset, as we had turned to them in desperation to get some help and got none. It takes 3mths to get an assessment appointment.

In the meantime, maybe consider putting your DS on some multivitmins so at least he is getting some nutriants in him. My boys love the Natures Way Gummi ones (and they have vegies in them too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply.

Sounds disheartening. DS isn't developmentally delayed which is why I'm worried they'd be the same for us.

I'll give them a call and see what they say.

The only other reason I can think of that he now just refuses to eat is perhaps his 2 year molars may be coming in, but I can't see or feel any bumps or swelling. Even so, he doesn't eat when he is well.

This is worse then him sleeping poorly when he was a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was very disheartening. I was hoping at least for some pschyological help at trying to get to the root of the refusals in DS1, not to be just palmed off again by another professional. My boys problems started when they started getting Glue Ear and went from there. They have been good sleepers for most of their lives. I also dispise dinner times for the same reason as you, wasted food and the fighting

At least give them a try, you never know, they might be more useful for you. At least I can look back and say I have tried everything to get them to eat/fix their issues.

The assessment is done with a Child & Family Health consultant, a dietitican and a pead. You have to take something they do eat and something that they don't eat and they watch the child eat, and then between themselves what to do.

Sorry this probably wasn't the reply you were hoping for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes a physical problem can stop them eating. Enlarged tonsils, for example can cause food refusal due to difficulty swallowing food. (I don't mean infected tonsils, but naturally very large tonsils). Our paed suspects my son might have this problem. A friend also had a boy with this problem. After removing the tonsils he became a champion eater.

It might be worth having him checked out to rule out physical issues just in case, if you haven't already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, that could be a factor.

I had my tonsils out when I was 5 and DS does get tonsillitis occasionally. This thought had crossed my mind.