+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hard Stools - Lots of pushing

My daughter is 2 weeks old (tomorrow) and has been on formula for approx. 1 weeks (Karicare Aptimal Gold Plus). She is passing stools BUT they are quite hard and pebble like. She obviously isn't completely constipated otherwise she wouldn't have passed them BUT as far as I was aware her poos should be more like a paste instead of round and hard.

Even right now she is sleeping and pushing in her sleep and I assume she is trying to pass another one. She becomes very distressed and unsettled at times and I think it's because of this reason as she is a pretty good baby normally.

I really don't want to change her formula incase it upsets her tummy, but will if its needed. Is there any kind of stool softener you can give a baby in their bottle? I don't like our GP very much so not keen on taking on his advice.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your child is passing pebbles she is constipated. Pebbles are not a good sign. All gold formulas contain extra iron which can lead to an increase in constipation. I would change to a Ha formula. Either Nan or karicare and see how you go. Giving stool softeners to babies just causes poor bowel habits (of course there are some infants who truly need them) but try a different formula first and it sounds like you need to find a new GP who you trust (with babies a good GP is priceless)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just didn't want to change it incase it upset her more.

I have been told Nan Ha is great so I might try that.

Is it true the Gold (Karicare) (she's on now) is hard on their tummies?

Poor little thing is only 5'13 so she must be so full when I feed her of milk and then trying to pass stools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also - how long until you notice the difference in stools?? When you changed??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you Nat that's really good information! Makes total sense too because that's exactly how much she likes to drink until she is drunk

Where did you find that break up?