+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old with high temp.

Hi,

My LO is 6 months and has had an on and off fever of between 38.5 and 38.9 the past two days. He has had a cold for about a week, just runny nose and sneezing, slight cough from the post nasal drip. I went to Dr today she said his throat is a bit red but wanted a urine sample. By the time I got home and he had a nap the pathology was closed so I will have to drop a sample off first thing in morning. I just went in to check on him/feed him and his head feels crazy hot. He's asleep so I didn't want to check his temp but I'm thinking maybe I should wake him, check it or give him some panadol just in case? Is it safe to just let him sleep if he is suffering a fever? He has a fan on in his room as its a little stuffy but I read somewhere you shouldn't put a fan directly on a baby with a fever, should I take him out of his sleeping bag too? I just don't know what to do. I can't go to sleep because I'm so worried about him.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has he had much fluids and wet nappies today?

I would take his temp, if he wakes up, call Health Direct. 1800 022 222. They can tell you what to look for. I had an issue before DD's tonsillitis was diagnosed (at 7 months) and the Dr. wanted a urine sample for high temp, red inflamed tonsils/throat and numerous other non-UTI related things.

If you aren't happy with the answer you get, keep pushing. You know your baby best.

If temp gets up over 39 again, go straight to emergency though. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

ETA - keep the fan on if it is hot in the house, but face away from DS. If it is stuffy, I wouldn't have a sleeping bag on regardless of fever or not. But I don't know what stuffy is for you. Could be completely different to me. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks tasha. He had a UTI at 6 weeks but it wasn't diagnosed through fevers. Plenty of wet nappies, have been feeding him a bit more just for comfort more than anything he has been quite miserable. He just woke, I took his temp 39.5, guess I'm heading to the hospital! Keep you posted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs. I know how stressful it can be. DD had chronic recurrent tonsillitis for 4 months before her diagnosis and I spent many late nights in the ED.

It may be nothing to worry about but after 2 days and at his age, it would be my first stop. Or Healthdirect. I have called them so many times in 20 months it's amazing I don't have my own personal nurse on the line. Lol

Good luck. Hope he gets better soon.

ETA - have you been giving him panadol and/or nurofen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I spoke to Health Direct and the nurse basically said to give Panadol/Nurofen check his temperature again in an hour if it gets over 40 degrees see my GP in the morning as even with some viral infections a fever that high can result. I took him out of his sleeping bag. I am still freaking out a bit, especially with his history of UTI (which I forgot to mention to her in my sleep deprived state..) I just don't want to go to the hospital unnecessarily..but don't want to risk it either??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just noticed ur in WA... Joondalup hospital FYI, are not all that fantastic for anything kid related, so many times I took DD there and they were adamant nothing was wrong (didn't eat for 4 days and started refusing formula, at 9 months, and was told she was just fussy... Ah huh...)

ETA - just saw ur post about HD. If he's not uncomfortable or restless he should be fine to wait for GP. Just getting in to one short notice is such a PITA over here.
    Last edited by Turk EnJayDee; 14-03-2012 at 01:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tasha1984 View Post
    Hugs. I know how stressful it can be. DD had chronic recurrent tonsillitis for 4 months before her diagnosis and I spent many late nights in the ED.

It may be nothing to worry about but after 2 days and at his age, it would be my first stop. Or Healthdirect. I have called them so many times in 20 months it's amazing I don't have my own personal nurse on the line. Lol

Good luck. Hope he gets better soon.

ETA - have you been giving him panadol and/or nurofen?
    Oh that would have been so awful for you both. I've been there twice with him already and it is horrible. I have been giving him Nurofen the past two days as he spits out Panadol, I don't think he likes the taste, but I would prefer to just give Panadol..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogsnSnails View Post
    Oh that would have been so awful for you both. I've been there twice with him already and it is horrible. I have been giving him Nurofen the past two days as he spits out Panadol, I don't think he likes the taste, but I would prefer to just give Panadol..
    Try getting the syringe in the back of his cheek. They don't like it but they can't spit it out from way back there.

You poor thing. Try to get some rest yourself. I know it's hard, but will make it easier to help your LO get better if you are well rested also

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just noticed you are in W.A too. and that we are playing chasey with our posts Joondalup is where we go and so far they have been pretty good to us, it was actually PMH that near enough turned me away without rushing a urine sample through and then I was later-4 days later- phoned and told to take him to hospital as he had a dangerous bug in his system. He keeps drifting in and out of sleep. I'm going to go in shortly and check his temp again and see how we go..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just FYI too, tonight/early morning is supposed to get quite cool. DD normally has a fan on until I go to bed and then I turn it off so she doesn't get too cold.