+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Darwin - The Good, Bad and Plain Ugly!

I am after some information about living in Darwin. My DP is applying for jobs Australia-wide and I have no idea how realistic it for him to get this job, but I really would like to acquire a little bit of knowledge about the place, just in case.

***Just a bit of background, for you to understand what kind of gal I am***
    We currently live in a regional town in North QLD and I am not exactly digging it. We used to live in the thick of Sydney, and I loved the diversity and hustle and bustle of the big city. I am a social worker by profession and would love to find a job as soon as we settle somewhere new, so work opportunities for me is another biggie. We have two children (almost 2.5 years old, and almost 9 months old)

I am worried that Darwin is not really my "cup of tea" but I am willing to give it ago. So for everyone who has ever lived in Darwin or visited Darwin, please tell me what it is like; the good, bad and ugly! Don't hold back, let it all out!

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Welcome to Darwin!!! I love it here, have lived here for 12 years!!

What can i say, it is hot, it is humid, it rains six months of the year.

BUT Darwin is the most friendliest, laid back, comfortable place i have ever been.

If you like camping - it is awesome
    If you like our door activities - it is awesome
    The night life is ok but i dont get out that often

It is a transient town, so fairly easy to meet people

Work is usually so so easy to find

Why dont you suggest a holiday before you decide?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012),tea&toast  (30-05-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I lived in Darwin for 2 years.

I had my son up there. Loved it, but we knew we weren't staying forever as my DH has 2 other children who we had to move back down for.

I loved how everything was a lot closer to get to - eg. we were only about 40min from Litchfield National park.

It's certainly not a hustle and bustle place.

We lived in Palmerston as we wanted a place where we could have a yard for our dogs. My DH worked in Darwin and I worked in Tiwi (near Casuarina - big shopping area) in the private hospital.

We were pretty much 20min from Darwin and 20min from Tiwi.

We decided to join in which meant buying a boat, and going fishing a fair bit.

Gee I miss our weekends with no family and us just going camping, or fishing or other stuff. Mud racing, V8's (highly compensated as the government helps to get gigs to Darwin),

I loved the dry season - 32/33 and fine and clear every day.

I also did like the wet too - and it didn't take long to get accustomed.

*sigh*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies, ladies! It is much appreciated.

See, this is what I am a little "worried" (in lack of a better word) about; I always hear about Darwin having beautiful nature in close proximity, great camping, fishing, 4WD'ing, etc. My DP loves that sort of stuff. Me - not so much! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a princess and I live in a slightly similar (apparently) regional town now. But it is not me.

I would love to know more about that the culture of day-to-day-life is like.

Does the place have cultural, sexual and socio-economic diversity?

What party do the majority vote for?

Is it child friendly? Safe?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived in Darwin for a couple of years. As someone said before, it is very laid back. Darwin time....which basically means no rush and relaxed. If your hoping for something like Sydney (which I have also lived in), it is nothing like it. It is hot, it is humid, sometimes you don't want to walk outside away from your air con, the afternoon storms are beautiful, but it can take a while to get use to it all also. I think someone suggested going for a holiday there first to check it out, I think that's a great idea because I couldn't think of anything worse than moving your family there and you not liking it. Personally I love Darwin, but I don't like the hustle and bustle of a city like Sydney so Darwin was perfect for me at the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Kez For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MumInMind!

I'm another long term darwinnite, but spent a brief 18months in Sydney and came back last June.

I know what you mean about camping/fishing/nature. My DH LOVES it, me... no so much! When we 'camp' (as in the family) we stay in cabins! Which are always fairly cheap. Honestly, the natures is AMAZING. All throughout the year. And this is coming from someone who knows more about GHDs than about any kind of plant! Litchefield, Kakadu, katherine gorge, are all really close and great for weekenders.

As for culture, Darwins a transient place... no one is 'from' Darwin! They've all moved here from somewhere... and you either love it or hate it. There isnt much of a gray area. But thats what makes it so unique. It is different to say Sydney, or the bigger cities. Lke any place it can be 'cliquey' but no where near as much as what I experienced in Sydney, and most of the time you are welcomed with open arms. People are very tolerant of different backgrounds. There is socio-economic diversity, Darwin is booming (and has done for a long time) and there is affluent suburbs/areas but to meet most of these people you'd have no idea of there monetaryvalue!

We moved back 7 months ago with my DS (who we had in Sydney) and if I didnt think it was safe then I wouldnt of done so. Its as safe as any other place. There are cars on the road, and bad people etc but not as bad as I have found it anywhere else. There are lots for kids to do - sports, arts etc...

Public transport isnt flash hot though, I do miss Sydney trains! So convienenet!

Shopping isnt specatular either, we have one 'main' shopping centre. That does have most of the big names (there are smaller in suburban shopping centres in most) but gee I miss my shopping!

hmmm i think I have gone on enough!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im on my phone for now but will reply in detail tonight on my computer! Ive lived in Darwin for 16 years now!

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012)

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Where do I start?

Ive lived in Darwin twice now.... DH is navy. The first time I was 19, moved out of home in Adelaide to Darwin to be with DH.

Party, Party, Party...camp, fish, camp, fish, drink, party..... this is what we did for 2 years. Was great! DH is a MAD KEEN 4WDer & fisherman & we have our own boat!

We then posted away from Darwin to Cairns & then Perth, then back to Darwin!

This time it was 6ish years later & I was pregnant. Had our 1st DD there & found it not to be so family friendly. I had DD in December & it was DISGUSTINGLY hot & humid... I was miserable.

DH was away a lot with the Navy & I was stuck! When he was home he was still away camping & fishing... getting caught up in the drinking/party vibe that Darwin has! I had an awesome mum's group but found it very hard to make friends again whilst now having kids. The shopping is cr@p, especially since you come from Sydney! Oh gawd, you'll suffer!!! LOL

The Territory is a beautiful place, the distinct difference between the wet & dry is amazing... one morning you'll wake up & the air will be cool & there will be dragon flies everywhere.... you'll know the dry is here - its a magnificent relief from the wet... but then, the wet itself is spectacular!!!

Mindil Beach Markets & Parap Markets are THE BEST! I miss them terribly.... but I dont think I could ever move back there.

We left Darwin & went back to Cairns & found our home. Even though were in Tassie at the mo for 12 months, in the new year we'll head back up to Cairns....

I honestly think you should go on a holiday up there, but then again, a holiday is TOTALLY different to living in a place. I guess at the end of the day you just have to make a compromise with your DH & set a time frame of living up there - that way you know you can leave if you hate it!

Good luck with your decision!

EF x

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthfairy For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-03-2012),Stretched  (31-05-2012)

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Again, thank you such for all your feedback, it is much appreciated!

We did the mistake of moving 30 minutes outside the regional town we live in currently (Mackay) and although we live in a nice residential area, it is so quiet and far away from everything. And since I don't drive and the public transport is next to non-existent, we feel quite isolated at times. We would therefore love to live somewhere more central if we were to move to Darwin.

So, can anyone tell me more about the different suburbs/areas of Darwin. What are considered good and not so good areas, and why? (If you do not feel comfortable discussing this in public, a PM would be greatly appreciated!)

TIA!

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump!