+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^^ Yep students can't be expected to perform well in an unstable environment. My good friend joined me at our private school after she spent almost one year in school learning absolutely nothing - the classroom environment was a chaotic nightmare and her teacher called in sick all of the time, resulting in several different sub teachers who read magazines and ignored the kids completely She actually asked her parents if she could change schools.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

share a book  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My husband attended the top private school in Qld, and was one of several hundred in his graduating class; I attended a state high school and was one of 50 or so. Interestingly, we got exactly the same TE score ... I was second in my class, he was 80th or so. He was very involved in extra curricular, and had a million options, I didn't even get to study ancient history over modern history, or journalism or anything similar.

While so many people are keen on small schools, they also have drawbacks, and lack of choice at secondary level is one of them. I think bright, motivated kids will do well in most environments, but its easy for average or less than average kids to slip through the cracks.

We chose a Montessori school for our girls because we liked the Montessori approach to child development; and not because it was private. If true Montessori environments were available in the public system I'd be there in a flash. All the other stuff people seem to like about private schools - uniforms, facilities, even the raft of extra curricular stuff is unimportant to me - I just want my daughters to feel challenged, appreciated, independent and in charge of their own learning, rather than simply spoonfed.

When it comes to secondary school, my daughters will make their own choices based on the directions she wants to pursue.

Is it worth the money? Montessori - yes. Private for the sake of "private" - no. We have half a dozen good local primary schools within 15 minutes drive of my house - two within walking distance - and I'd be happy for them to attend any one of those if Montessori wasn't such clearly superior system of education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Not all public schools are like that though. DD's school has a strong emphasis on pride in their uniform, good behaviour and treating the kids learning as individual. She is part of the high achievers program, she is given her own spelling words, has an independent reading plan. There is a zero tolerance on bullying. They have special programs for those that are struggling in certain areas. There is a strong emphasis on indigenous culture and pride. There are 15-20 kids in her classes.

Not all public schools are places where grotty, out of control kids run rampant and class sizes are huge.

On the flipside, I've been in private schools where a family had 2-3 kids, all bullies, but were left to do whatever they pleased to other students bc their parents were active in the church and were wealthy. In high school the catholic girls drank and slept around like there was no tomorrow lol we were wild as!

My point is you can't generalise. There are great private schools and sucky ones, there are great public and sucky ones. I don't believe just bc parents are paying 5+k a year makes it a good school.
    That's why I specifically said that it's the ones near us, and only the primary schools, the public high school is incredible. But the primary schools in our area are disgusting. My brother did prac in a year 7 class at one of them and the teacher walked out because the kids were feral, then one of them broke my brother's arm and threatened other kids. My brother restrained the kid and sent another one to get the principal. He ordered the other kids to leave the room but they refused, desks, chairs, books, all sorts of things were being thrown. The father of the child who broke my brother's arm threatened legal action for his son being restrained, so he was not expelled or suspended and it was never added to his school record. My brother switched to Early Childhood and will only teach in private schools.

But yes, they are all different, these are just the ones on offer in our area, so I disagree that kids can learn anywhere. What happened to my brother is not uncommon, and is a reflection of their home life so I choose not to let my child attend those schools or visit kids who do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Wow that's bad I do understand why *you* are sending your child private. Based on what you've said I probably would too....

I guess I'm just a fan of public schooling given I'm atheist and think sometimes they get a bad rap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us...
    My dd who is 2.5 is enrolled in a R-12 private school.
    We know te reputation of the publi high schools in the area and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us, the public schools around here are really not given enough funding to be up to the standard of education that we want for our children.
    It's something that is very important to me, and I want the best for my children. If that changes, and we move somewhere where there is a public school that we don't feel this way about it, then we're not biased, they can go there. We just want the best for them, and right now that is none of the public schools in this area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yes, dd's school has a strict uniform policy right down to the socks which are $9 a pair. Even out of school, they have to be in full uniform or no uniform. So we can't come home, remove shoes and socks then decide to hit the shop and put thongs on. She either puts her shoes and socks back on or she changes out of her uniform.
    That's what the private school around here is like. I think it's old fashioned and ridiculous and as a parent I would hate to have to conform like that! Oh the private school here also has weekend detention (at least for the kids in highschool, not sure about primary years). I would so not be sending to my kid to school, in full school uniform, on a Saturday morning!

I liked that last year, a few weeks out of the end of the end of the school year when DD1 had grown out of her school shoes she was able to just wear closed in shoes, that happened to be pink and sparkly. She got new, black, school shoes for the beginning of the new year. The public school we're zoned for only allows logo'd clothing so they're all different.

In saying that we picked DD1's school and we ruled some out instantly based on different things...one of those being their zoning area. We ruled two schools out purely based on their zoning area and the type of families these kids would be coming from even though the rep of the schools themselves weren't that bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Wow that's bad I do understand why *you* are sending your child private. Based on what you've said I probably would too....

I guess I'm just a fan of public schooling given I'm atheist and think sometimes they get a bad rap.
    Yep, I have never said public schools are bad, only the ones near us. One has less than 100 kids, it is rare that either parent works, the kids go without because there is a high percentage with drug, alcohol and gambling addictions, most of them smoke. On an income provided by Centrelink, parents can't afford those without kids missing out on necessities. Just to re-iterate, these are problems specific to our local public schools.

I also strongly disagree that kids can learn in any environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

I also strongly disagree that kids can learn in any environment.
    I think sometimes some kids can still learn in bad environments but imagine how well those same kids would flourish in a good environment. I believe DD (DS doesn't start school until next year) could learn in a bad environment. But where she is in a good environment... well there's no choice. I want her to reach her potential. Bullying, noise, poor teaching and lack of school pride can be very detrimental to any kid.

See this is why I love the country yes some things aren't good, but the environment you describe isn't as common out here I believe... that's not to say there are no 'bad' schools in the bush. But overcrowding and drug use is much less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really it depends I think it's really hard to lump them In to either public/private and have an across the board opinion.For us, dd will be going to a private school. I have her name down at 3 that we have decided we like.If we moved into a different area there are a few public schools I would send her too, but thats unlikely.