+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Difference can completely depend on the school. There are some great public schools and some awful private schools. The combination of principal, teachers, parents an children really make a school what it is.
    I agree 100% with this!

We chose Catholic/Private. Public schools in this area are pathetic to put it mildly.
    I toured almost every school in the area, public and private. I had a pretty good idea where I wanted DS to go, but I didn't want to discount a hidden gem I may find, so I attended lots of open days!

The public schools offer almost nothing aside from basic education. I want more for my kids than what I was offered. I went public, my parents held (and still hold) the belief that 'school is school' and 'a child will learn if they want to'. Well I wanted to learn.. I wanted to study forensic science but I had zero opportunity to study anything but basic science at school. My marks were excellent, but I had no chance to experience anything through school, and like most other teens, I had no patience to wait until uni.

The school DS goes to offers almost everything imaginable. At the moment he is doing lego robotics, and helping out at the local special needs school as his co-curricular activities.
    DD has a list as long as her arm for when she starts next year..cake decorating, masterchef, dance, glee club, St Vincent De Paul (volunteering)
    The public schools have none of that.

I think it was Blissed Out that mentioned the like minded parents who take an interest in their child education. This is important too. Education is important to me, I want them to be able to experience everything they want to and not be limited by what is on offer at school.

Everything I could imagine and more is on offer at the school. DS is absolutely thriving there, I could not be happy after years of struggle through primary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The price!!!

I have only so far looked into primary schools, both private and public in our area and he goes to the best school BY FAR - public. It has the best grounds, best facilities, and has everything I wanted in a public school for him - very big on teaching reconciliation and other cultures, climate change, environment, small classrooms, great teachers and a great principal. We are lucky it's not zoned!!!!

I agree with Ana, depends on the individual schools. DP has a close friend who he grew up with but didn't attend school with him. DP went to a public school and his friend went to private not far away. The stories I hear about the private school that his friend attended actually make me feel a little uneasy about sending DS to school at all :\

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Public schools could offer no support pre-diagnosis. Private schools gave aide time and allowed partial homeschooling.

Public schools post diagnosis could offer up to 8 hours per week shared aide time. Private school offers up to 4 hours per day personal aide time, and IEP has been in place since before she was diagnosed, and other staff are always ready to offer support.

For us, public schooling is not an option for schools in our area. Our private school is an all access school with ramps and rails, and rooms are all ground level.

We are also Catholic so it was a natural choice.
    Last edited by share a book; 14-03-2012 at 08:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Difference can completely depend on the school. There are some great public schools and some awful private schools. The combination of principal, teachers, parents an children really make a school what it is.
    This! We're going to our local catholic primary, but going private for high school! Private schools have more funds and choice. But, if u haven't got a good principal or teachers then it won't matter where u go! I personally know some wonderful, dedicated n passionate teachers that only want to work in the public system... I also think that the community of students and their families help to make a good school. Let's face it, u have good and bad eggs everywhere!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    The cost! And the associated stigma- people think there getting/providing a better education when they're paying more for it. Not the case.

Really, the difference is in the school itself not the cost. You can get good public schools and bad private schools and vice versa.
    Agreed. Private doesn't always mean better. I went to private schools most of my schooling. A few were great, a couple were ok. One which likes to consider itself prestigious and charges outrageous fees....was terrible. It scores well behind the public highs for the HSC every year and is the snobbiest revolting school. Buying an ugly $400 blazer doesn't make your child perform better or a better person.

My DD goes to a public school and I can't rave enough about it. Small, wonderful teachers, individual learning plans. Zero tolerance on bullying.

But then there are horrible public and great private.My point is, it's more about the teaching staff that whether it's public or private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Lol agreed delirium about the blazer. We're the same - can't rave about DS' school enough.

We were open to sending him to the best school we came across whether it was public, private or even religious. We just couldn't go past the public school he's attending now. It has everything we were looking for and then some.

ETA: I should add - I believe education starts at home. My parents were always at me to do well in school and always helped me and taught me at home. I went to a public school and achieved a high TER wheras some failed dismally.
    Last edited by Benji; 14-03-2012 at 08:51. Reason: adding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It really depends on the school. For us we have found the private smalls school suit us better than public or large private.

Our kids have been to 3 different privates schools and we have the smaller ones suit our needs much better.

You really need to look at the individual school and there way of doing things. I have found in the smaller school we have been involved in there has been a much harder stand on drugs and bullying. I am not saying they never happen but it certain a lot less. This is not the case in all privates schools. The last 2 school have had a great special needs program for both gifted and those that struggled. (we needed both and that was hard to find)

One of the main reason is we wanted our kids in a christian environment where the school belief's lined up with ours. There no mass or anything at our school but there is basic christian belief through the day to day teaching.

Sorry if I make no sense I am on my 2nd night with no sleep due to sick little one.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 14-03-2012 at 09:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, my dad was a teacher in state schools and sent us to private! Because of the extra activities, wider subject choice and smaller classes.

Our kids are going to the local public school for now, but as of around yr 6, we will switch them to private

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Totally depends on your area I think.
    We are atheists so would never send our kids to a religious school and wouldn't go to a Steiner school either. There are no Montessori primary schools in our area, which would be our first choice.

The other private school here still has a small focus on Christianity - costs a lot more, have strict rigid rules on their uniform policy (including outside of school), any extra curriculum activities they offer you have to pay for and they don't really offer them until highschool anyway. They are not included in the school fees. My niece went there for kindergarten and they had big problems with her being bullied and the school not doing much about it, and they put a lot of pressure on her, at 5, to excel academically that she would hide under her covers and refuse to get up for school. There's over 800 students across two different campuses.

The public school that DD1 goes to - has less than 250 students, they have a huge focus on being part of the community so are very family orientated. They have a school uniform and they have awards for the 'best dressed' class etc. but there's not such a strict focus on it. You can send your child to school in the same colour jumper without the logo on it no problems. They are very strict on their no hat no play rule though and caps are not allowed. They focus on the individual child and encourage kids to be themselves. They pride themselves on the fact that there is very little bullying at the school and kids that need extra help get it in a gentle and positive way, just like those who are more advanced than their peers get work to keep them stimulated and aren't kept behind. They have just gotten an extra class this year which means class numbers are relatively low across the board (but the numbers for infants are capped anyway...no more than 20 students in each class).

For us, we have quite a number of fantastic public schools in our area and the private school is simply not worth the money. Oh they have air conditioning in all their classrooms and DD1's school doesn't have a/c in any rooms but that's about it as far as advantages for the grammar. They have newer buildings too but that doesn't concern me at all.

I'm sure that in other areas private schools offer more than the public schools. I really think it depends on the schools in your particular area.

By the time kids get to highschool here we have a public school of performing arts, a public sports school, the main****** public highschools have good reputations, and then there's the academically selective public highschool that you need to sit an exam to prove you are smart enough to get it.
    Last edited by Areca; 14-03-2012 at 10:32.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

share a book  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Funnily enough, many people feel it can be wasteful to use private primary schools, and choose public for primary and private for secondary. In our area the public primary schools produce a lot of criminal kids (9, 10, 11 year olds who steal, graffiti, break into homes) and they have violence issues, the kids are well below average for basic reading, writing, arithmatics. They have very little support for special needs kids, and they lack basic facilities that are now expected in schools.

Yet the local public high school is one of the best in town, with top quality facilities, a special needs support program that remains unrivalled, they run a program where kids are fed breakfast (cereal, juice, toast, fruit) and afternoon tea (fruit, sandwiches) that is not limited to only low income families. They have a larger range of subjects than any other public school. The bizrre thing is that most of the kids in our local public primary school end up at a high school further away, which is also known for the high level of violence, high number of kids who can't read, write, or do even the most basic maths. I don't know what the answer is for those kids, but for my child I want a caring environment where she is supported and given the best learning environment.

Her school goes to Year 12, and if I homeschool for primary, she will go to another high school which is all girls and a fantastic school with lots of supports in place, lots of subject choices, and small classes.