+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Crunchy Mum is offline BH Blogger - Cloth Nappies and Babywearing
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The Crunchy Mum Blog: A thumbs up to the cloth diapering dads

Recently while I was at a children’s party while I was chatting to some fellow cloth-diapering mums, the subject of their hubbies’ perspective of the whole cloth diapering business came up. I was curious to compare notes and funny anecdotes about the dads’ involvement in using cloth nappies and probe the subject further.

The main question was: were the hubbies as involved or enthusiastic in using cloth nappies as much as they (the mums) were?

The short answer: a resounding ‘NO’

It seems when it comes to cloth nappies, most husbands/fathers just aren’t as ‘turned on’ about cloth as mums. The most common laments I hear from the male perspective include:
    • They are so complicated to use (lame excuse but most common)
    • I hate dealing with the poop (don’t want to touch it, see it, smell it or be near it)
    • It’s extravagant and unnecessary (it’s just more cutesy baby stuff luring mothers to spend more money)
    They might go as far as letting their dear little wife/partner 'splurge' on this baby stuff (yeah, cloth nappies whatever it's called)... but as for changing a nappy... errr, please keep a pack of 'sposies on the shelf, none of this em-see-en-watchamacallit for me, thank you very much.

So I thought to dedicate this post to acknowledge and appreciate my own DH and all other cloth diapering dads for their sincere support and enthusiasm for their wives/partners cloth nappy craze.

So thank you DH for…
    1. Patiently listening to me wax lyrical on all the benefits of cloth and actually jumping on board with me
    2. Agreeing to invest some money in building up our stash
    3. Taking the time to learn about the different types of cloth nappy systems, including how to operate a prefold and snappi
    4. Actually changing a cloth nappy – even the poopy ones!
    5. Installing a nappy sprayer in the bathroom just for me
    6. Commending me for the money we saved with the decision to use cloth
    7. Letting me splurge on that new fluff I just had to have that one (or two) time(s) simpy because they were too cute to resist
    8. Spontaneously remarking how cute that latest new fluff looks on our son’s little tushie

If you have a wonderful cloth diapering hubby or partner you want to acknowledge and appreciate, please feel free to share their awesomeness with us here.

To read more on my cloth nappy journey, you can also check out my posts on cloth diapers at livingserenely.blogspot.com
    More...
    Last edited by The Crunchy Mum; 16-03-2012 at 12:29.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Crunchy Mum For This Useful Post:

earthfairy  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome post!!! Another thumbs up here for a great DP who has embraced cloth nappies with me as a part of the wonderful journey has been our DS!!

What I have to share as something that make makes me scratch my head on occasion is that he actually prefers flat folds with snappies and covers??? I think it might be to stop me spending too much adding to our stash of MCN.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great post my dh is all for cloth as long as I put them together and deal with the poo, which is fine (I'm I wasn't home he dealt with it no complaints.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DF was the one who suggested we use MCNs & talked me into it lol!! 6months on & I really like our minkees. DD looks so cute with a fluffy bottom too!!
    He isn't too keen on dealing with the pooey ones though... the smell gets him & he jumps around holding his nose, puts on the fan & opens windows

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got to say the whole 'Dad's not doing nappies' thing cloth or not irks me. I don't particularly like dealing with poo either but I figure it's all part of having kids and it's not like they'll be in nappies forever.

We do cloth and DH changes, cleans, washes and snaps together the MCNs if he sees it needs doing. He doesn't get out of it just because he's the dad.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-03-2012),earthfairy  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another Cloth King Dad here! My DP has always been a big fan.....mostly for environmental reasons though the cost saving compared with sposies (or nasties as he and DD call them on childcare days) doesn't hurt.

I am 34 weeks pregnant and have had a lot of difficulty stomaching dirty nappies since my first trimester so DP has been an absolute trooper in dealing with ALL the stinky ones without complaint. I still laugh though at the memory of me insisting on nappy folding practise sessions with flats, snappis and an old doll of mine in the three weeks before DD was due.....crazy woman!!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've been using cloth non-stop on 5 bums for 6 years now.. it's just normal!

DH has never had a problem with rinsing poo, pulling out soggy inserts, setting the washing machine to the right setting, hanging and stuffing nappies.. and even when we do have sposies in the house (say after we've gone away and there's half a packet left or so) DH just puts them in the cupboard as soon as we get home and we're straight back to cloth.

Although generally I stuff the nappies, because even though he can do it... I'm a bit fussy about which insert goes with which nappy... which is a bit stupid, coz they all absorb and it really makes no difference.....

I'll be honest and say our reasons for using cloth are purely hip pocket related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH was so keen for MCNs when he realised how much money we could save! He puts them in the wash, hangs them out, has no problems whatsoever. I guess we've always had cloth so it's no big deal. My brother who doesn't have a baby yet thinks its disgusting that they go in the same washing machine as clothes :P he'll learn!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My lovely DH is brilliant. He had 2 older children when we met so had used disposables on 2 babies whilst on an exceptionally low income so he knew the financial stressors of nappies. He changes, rinses, washes and folds them as well as when I was expecting number 2 he took care of every stinky nappy needing rinsing. He even tries to convert other dads and takes the Bubs to cricket training with his bag full of cloth.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    DH was so keen for MCNs when he realised how much money we could save! He puts them in the wash, hangs them out, has no problems whatsoever. I guess we've always had cloth so it's no big deal. My brother who doesn't have a baby yet thinks its disgusting that they go in the same washing machine as clothes :P he'll learn!!
    You can wash them with clothes

We've only got one in cloth now.... so that's only 5 nappies or so at the end of the day.. I just put them through on a short cycle/rinse first and then run them through a full cycle with the rest of the clothes.