+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bumps and bruises :(

Please don't criticise me, but my DS who is almost 9 months flipped out of his cot this morning. He is absolutely fine, and only cried for about a minute after I picked him up. Luckily he fell on the side where I had some toys and blankets which broke his fall. Once he was settled I felt him all over and not a scratch!

My heart broke and I felt sooo stupid for not lowering his cot sooner. He only started pushing himself up to sit last week and hasn't yet started crawling on his hands and knees so I had no idea that he would be able to pull himself up. He literally did it overnight! I'm scared I'm not going to be able to sleep from worrying about him in there tonight.

I think cots should come with a warning to lower them at 6 months regardless of the skill level of the baby. He is my first child and I had no idea he was capable of doing that.

He also fell while sitting on the floor and bumped his lip on a set of drawers. He has a red mark from that - I was sitting right next to him and he just fell before I had a chance to grab him. I feel like I am a terrible mother for not protecting my son from being hurt. Poor little thing When he sits up himself, he sometimes forgets that there is nothing behind him and just falls. I've seen other babies kind of curl into a ball and they just kind of roll back. But my DS just goes 'smack!' straight back. I have got to constantly watch him and make sure I put blankets etc behind him, but sometimes he does things so quickly.

I know there are going to more bumps and falls, but I just hate it when he hurts himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We all do it. If it makes you feel better. A few months ago DS 2 fell from his cot too. And he is constantly falling now that he is learning to walk. Don't worry about it too much.

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovemybabies! For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad! My ds was constantly covered in bruises from when he started crawling at 5.5 months. He then started cruising a couple of weeks later which made for even more bumps and owies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad!
    Some of the preventable things my daughter has done.. We lowered her cot when she was 11 months! She never fell out, but things get so busy sometimes we forget to do the little things like lowering the cot.

If it makes you feel better some of the things my dd has done are-

-Eaten dog poo whilst helping me with gardening in the back yard! Yuck!!

- eaten a cockroach that she found at a play centre..

- I left the back door open that has 3 steps going down to the patio, she fell down them

- I ALWAYS seem to bump her head when getting her out of the car, it just seems to happen more than it should.

- she burnt her hand on the vaporizer when she had a cold, didn't even occur to me that she could burn her hand when she touched where the steam comes out.. Stupidity on my part...

- I was driving down the high way one afternoon and was mortified when I looked in the rear vision mirror.. some how she got her arms out of the car seat straps and was standing up in her car seat! I had to pull over in a bus lane and strap her back in and tighten her straps, a bus then came along and wasn't happy I was stressed to the max!

It's not like I'm a slack mother and don't watch my child, she just seems to find every little error I make and tests it out.
    Your not a bad mother, these things happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we have all had those, I should have known better moments.
    Don't stress though... I have learned that children are really resilient ( and I'm pretty sure they bounce?)
    The amount of times my daughter has fallen or jumped off of things and i've though she must be seriously hurt, she just stands up and walks off.
    Also it doesn't end at sitting up and falling back and hitting their heads (I am definate they all do that,) wait til bubs tries to walk and goes flat on their face. They may cry but always seem to be ok At least now you will lower the cot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jascar For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS went through a stage of hurting himself almost daily as an older baby/young toddler. No matter how much I tried to protect him he'd find a way to bruise. I think he inherited my clumsy gene.

Now he's older he's much more careful and competent.

Don't guilt yourself about it! Lots of babies do things like this and give their mothers early grey hairs. Often I'd discover DS could do some new trick only when he hurt himself trying eg first time he ran he tripped over and cut his lip.

My Mother says my brothers used to climb out of their cots and then climb onto the window sills and terrify her! Little monkeys.

I'm glad your little one is okay. Don't be too hard on yourself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS fell off the couch when he was 6 months old. I had him in a "sit up" pillow next to me and he had a spasm as he was falling asleep and that made him fall off. I felt sick for days
    Then I decided to put him in his big bed and even with a toddler rail, he still fell out a dozen times. Its a very high bed too, so that made me feel even worse. Even though I had body pillows on the floor, he still cried his eyes out. Mostly from shock though. I just cried with him.
    All this is the reason why I had the house carpeted when I was pregnant. I knew I was having a boy and boys are usually a little more clumsy.

Like PP, I too keep bumping his noggin when I put him in the car and take him out.
    He has also eaten a dead roach and once, as I ran out to grab a clean nappy, he had already helped himself to a handful of his own poo out of the toilet as I hadn't flushed yet. Flushing is something we do together to get him interested in toilet training. No luck yet though.

Last Thursday night even! He had his toothbrush in his mouth and started to run through the house. I yelled at him to not run with the toothbrush in his mouth. Then just as I tried to grab him, he tripped and fell. There was blood gushing out of his mouth I straightaway drove to the after hour surgery and ofcourse he was happy as Larry when we got in

Kids (especially boys) hurt themselves. That's why I carry around a small can of "spray on bandage" in my handbag. It gets used all the time when we're out and about

Im not neglectful. Im fully prepared that he's going to hurt himself
    You cant wrap them in cotton wool hun, so dont blame yourself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My darling (read: ratbag) ds pulled himself out of his cot at three months! We had horrible thin rental property carpet and there was this almighty thud... I've never seen dh move that fast!
    Needless to say we lowered it straight away. I think kids just have an innate ability to pick that one thing that will freak you out and do it when you least expect it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why would anyone criticize you?! It's practically a right of passage in childhood. Just like my kids have both fallen out of their prams as babies... No harm done, and I'm sure it won't be the last time!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

mel6280  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone!

I was feeling so awful and was so scared someone was going to say 'you silly woman, you should have known better!'

I feel so much better now after reading your replies.

OMG, Rachell, I did have to laugh at a few of your examples, like eating dog poo and a cockraoch! LOL. DS was eating something from the floor a few days ago and I thought it was a cockroach. I felt relieved when I discovered it was only a blueberry, until I realised I hadn't given him blueberries for about a week, so he must have found one that I missed when cleaning the floor

DS is fine, he has been very clingy all day and actually had another few bumps today (my emotions are totally frazzled!!!). I think his new found mobility has unsettled him and he can't understand why he keeps getting hurt. Poor little darling. I'm going to be such a sook when it comes to his first stitches, or first broken bone (hopefully in many years to come)!