+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New young mum.

Hi I am a new young mum, first bub ever, I'm only 18 but me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and we were thinking about having a baby so it wasn't entirely an accident and I am now 8 weeks pregnant. The reason I'm starting this new topic is cause I have so many questions running through my head. It's crazy! Not having a mother around makes it hard and my dads not all the wrapped in the idea of this baby but he's being as supportive as possible I guess. Anyways here's some questions if anyone could help me out - should me and my partner attend antenatal classes?
    - I know I should be doing some exercise, but what is safe and most useful?
    - should I do shared care or just go with hospital care?
    - when should I start buying furniture for bub?
    - Any other information that you could think of that would be helpful. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I can help with a few bits.
    I highly recommend doing some classes through your hospital, antenatal and parenting classes are great. Most new Mums of any age feel overwhelmed and a little clueless about parenting.
    You need to call your local hospital and book in, they will explain the options about Shared care or midwife programs, I believe both are good options. shared care helps if the hospital is a little far to go and the GP is closer for your check ups.
    Hold back on buying anything just yet, you have lots of time. People will also give you things and want to help as much as possible. I suggest accepting any help, gifts and advice you get, it all helps. Start thinking about the things you need and don't have yet about 25 weeks.

Congrats and enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, im 18 and 24w with my second. I definantly reccommend antenatal classes. Ive always been immensly sick with hyperemesis so I cant help much with exercise. As for baby stuff I wait until I know the gender, as by then the misscarriage risk is mich lower. With my first I found out at 17w. With second I was told possibly a boy at 17w but definantly at 20w.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,
    Some hospitals run a young mothers antenatal class which is a great opportunity for you to meet other mothers close of age to yourself. The class I went to (Womens and Children's) partners were welcome as well. The class I had brought in young mothers and their babies/toddlers to talk to us all about being a young mother. So I recommend that if your hospital offers that for you.
    My partner loved the antenatal classes. He was the only male that came for all of them and he really enjoyed being centre of attention. He even got to wear the empathy belly.

I did shared care. That meant alot less time in hospital waiting around to be seen. You only have to go to the hospital for one or two check ups. With my first I only had 1 check up and with my second I had 2. With my DD1 my one and only hospital visit I waited 3hrs to be seen at the WCH. And with my DD2 was only 5min wait to see the dr different hospital.
    Personally I prefered the gp (thats trained in shared care) for the checks ups. Less wasting my time in travel and waiting.

I started buying furniture around the 7month mark. But you can buy it at any stage really. Probably best be set up and ready a month before your due date. So you can spend it resting and preparing your hospital bag.

As far as excercise walking is probably best Im not to sure though.

I REALLY recommend having your bags ready in the last month to your birth. I got caught out with my second being unprepared she came early.

But good luck! Being a young mum is the best! I loved having my girls young

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! im 18, and thinking about having a baby with my partner we have been together two and a bit years.
    I just have a few questions, how did your friends react? or havent you told them yet?
    im worried about waht my friends would think that i CHOSE to have a baby that young :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your info, it's very helpful
    Umm yes I told my friends before I told anyone else cause I thought that they would understand more and I had to work up the courage to tell my family, but finally did it and they were all okay with it. The only down side to being so young and telling people your pregnant is that your only gonna get negative feedback from society and people kinda look at you funny when they find out but as long as you know that what your doing is the right thing and your doing it for the right reasons then it doesn't really matter what anyone says or thinks

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friend was pregnant with her first at 20, and she used to get dirty looks from people all the time. People can be so rude, if it was me I would've stared back at them or told them where to go lol. It's no one's business but yours and I think they say the best time biologically to have a bub is 15-20 so there you go. I've always wanted kids and wanted to have at least one by 25, but it's taken me till now to fall pregnant and actually be ready for it lol (I'm nearly 26). So I think having them young is great if you feel you're ready
    Last edited by missybubble; 13-03-2012 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly congrats

I was pregnant with my first bub at 17!
    I got looks from people all the time, i was at first annoyed but it use to it and held my head high!! Societies view is that if your a young mum your a bad one BUT too be honest a young mum can be better or parent just aswell as a older mum!!
    I'm now 24 and I have 4 kids , yes 4!!!
    My partner and I love them to bits and would never take any of them back even being as young as I am!! We still get looks but have moved past it!! I don't care what people think when they look at me and see a young woman with her hands full, they are my beautiful children an I love them dearly!! They are happy and well looked after!!
    You will get used to it if it happens to you!! But one thing I have noticed is that it's becoming more frequent now it's not like you see one young mum every now and then they are around Almost everywhere!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am so happy happy about the choice I've made, I think it will be great to be a young mum and I just can't wait to experience everything. As for the people that give you dirty looks an for the people that say you can't do it, well they are my motivation, they just make me wanna prove them wrong (not that I feel that I have to prove anything to anyone) but you might as well turn negative into positive. A 30 year old mum is still in for the same thing as an 18 year old mum. Oh and btw congratulations to all you mummy's and new mummy to be

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say congrats, so congrats How many weeks are you?