+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldies aren't like that at all :-)

If I had to generalise, us Gen Y's are worse - "I can't afford a 4x2 with air con and double lock up garage for our two cars, however will we cope, FML!" ;-)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-03-2012),Maybelline  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I Think all generations breed their fair share of narcissists. And their fair share of thoughtful, caring people.

I also think you sometimes get clusters of narcissists. Once you have one in your life it seems others are drawn to you too. Like a negative magnet. A good reason for keeping them out of your life.

The blog 'narcissists suck' is another good one for children of narcissists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

Mostly, I find the people I know born the 50s are more "know-it-alls," than narcissists. FIL and my own father know everything.
    This!

My father drives me INSANE with knowing it all - especially because his views are so out dated to the point of being racist.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, I cant make generalisations, I was born in the fifties, and im pretty ok,, not narcisstic in anyway. My mum was born in the 20s and her sisters and one brother, were all pretty easy going. My MIL was born in the 30s, and she was full of negative attitudes. I think it is just the different personalities, not really anything to do with when someone is born. Positive people attract positive attitudes, negative people attract negative attitudes. Marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess not the generation as a whole. But there just seem to be so many of them.

It is definately an easier said than done thing to "get rid" of toxic people. I guess in a way, I feel if I cut my mother off all together, any kind of "memtal breakdown" (she has a lot of them), she has after will be on me and I don't want that.

But like I said, it's not just my mother's family. It's also other people, related and un-related that just seem to have this "poor me, everyone hates me/the sky is falling" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi, I cant make generalisations, I was born in the fifties, and im pretty ok,, not narcisstic in anyway. My mum was born in the 20s and her sisters and one brother, were all pretty easy going. My MIL was born in the 30s, and she was full of negative attitudes. I think it is just the different personalities, not really anything to do with when someone is born. Positive people attract positive attitudes, negative people attract negative attitudes. Marie
    But you are awesome Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't have thought that at all. I work with people in that age group, and my parents were born in the 50s and they very much have the attitude of 'you get what you earn'. The type of people who moved into their first house and used crates as seats without complaints.

I think you're just unlucky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

I think you're just unlucky.
    I think this may be the case. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sorry - that sounded mean now that I read it back!!! I think you've had some bad luck with painful family members

Thanks
    Reviews
    [quote]Positive people attract positive attitudes, negative people attract negative attitudes. Marie [/quote/]

Pmsl!!! Um, have you heard the saying " you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family"?

I get people have personality clashes but in my case it's everything that differs, life philosophy, acceptance of others, attitude towards life and work, etc. Thanks for giving me a laugh though.

OP - that's how they get you, by guilting you into feeling like anything that happens to them (always bad) is somehow your fault. It's your choice to put up with it though and I am not pushing my view on you. But for me I have found out how enjoyable life can be when the toxicity of narcissists is gone. Just sayin'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HOMS For This Useful Post:

Turk EnJayDee  (13-03-2012)