+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hemorrhoids during labour..

I'm currently 35 weeks and I've developed a big hemorrhoid the pain has subsided but it bleeds a lot and is not really shrinking. I'm treating it with sitz baths and proctosedyl.. Daily fibregel and loads of water.. I think its purely a symptom if pregnancy pressure.. I'm not bound up, no straining and I am generally well.

U am having severe anxiety about what's going to happen if it doesn't heal by the time I go into labour? My confidence has taken a knock and I'm really frightened to push another baby out especially with this to contend with..

If anyone has been in my position before, any advice or info about their situation or how the roids were dealt with during and after labour would be helpful..

Thx x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh u poor thing I'm not much help as I developed mine as a result of labour, and this is what I'm actually scared of next time I have a baby.
    Can I suggest however, to use witch hazel ointment on the rhoid? Mine weren't going down for like 3wks and were terrible then someone on here suggested the WH and wahoo 1wk later they were basically gone U can buy it at health food or vitamin type places. I got stuff that is actually made for them, it was kind of a paste consistency and I applied it every morning and night after shower (with a glove lol), sorry for TMI
    I really hope this is sorted for u or u can get some reassurance from others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as I have the exact same issue and I'm too embarrassed to bring it up with the ob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You want to avoid coached pushing. Try to breathe your baby out or only push when your body is telling you to.

Best wishes as you birth your babies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Preshy2008  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply PoppySeed.. it is excrutiatingly awful.. not only the pain but the embrassment too.. I was feeling so confident about the pregnancy, labour and BFing journey this time around and it seems to have put me quite a few steps backwards... I became so run down and dehydrated during the first twelve weeks after my son was born, I ended up having surgery on an anal fissure and that consequently ended my already challenging BFing journey.. this time around I have felt quite healthy and was in an excellent frame of mind.. until now.

I have been told to buy Witch Hazel, but have been to quite a few pharmacys and they dont seem to stock it.. I purchased a bottle at Coles, but it was in the beauty section and used as a facial toner.. I am way too scared to use it incase it burns.. eek.. thats the last thing I need..

I will try and get to a good health store and hopefully they can help..

I have done way too much Dr Google on this one and there are so many different opinions and them..

I guess my biggest fear is that they will get worse with all the pushing and then I will be dealing not only with the usual recovery but also my bottom too.. it's hard enough as it is..

MissPoss, I hope you get some relief and maybe even some help from this thread, you are not on your own...

My GP is wonderful but has a four week wait to get in to see her.. I have an appt this Friday so will ask her what she thinks..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witch Hazel is great for many things...toning...AND for haemorrhoids. It won't burn.

Fwiw...I had a small one towards the end of my second pregnancy too which bled a little, and had no issues with it in labour. It's just playing up a little now at 13 weeks post partum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mrs Awesome! That what I needed to hear..!

I will be having a bath in a minute and will try the witch hazel afterwards.. eek..

I will try anything at this point.. I have been unsuccesfully trying to push it back in, but it's bleeding quite a bit now and painful, so I will just try the WH and try and get it to shrink a bit more..

Ah the joys!

Bubbles10 - that's what I am aiming to do. Thank you for your well wishes.. fingers crossed it works..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP and other sufferers. I had haemerhoids prior to pregnancy that almost exploded out during my first child's birth. I had to have surgery to remove them in the week after DD's delivery. You want to avoid this if possible.

I have been told since that literally sitting on a pile of salt (so that it is moulded into the "crack" is really effective. Or, if you can't do the salt, caster sugar is another option. I have been told this second hand so can't personally recommend it, but worth a try.

Definitely talk to your doctor - it is not embarrasing! They have seen them a thousand times before and will see them a thousand times again. It is better to treat them than to suffer in silence.

If you do happen to require the surgery feel free to contact me. I'm happy to offer advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully you can get rid of it before hand and don't have issues with any more during labour.... But if you do talk to the physio department at your hospital. I had an absolutely massive one (the physios were impressed at its size!) and they did ultrasound on it the following day and I had follow up treatments back at the hospital in the weeks after giving birth.... Not the most glamorous thing to be spreading your butt cheeks at a hot young physio as he's making casual conversation, but you'll find you just don't care cause the relief is amazing!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this is a dense question but where do you purchase witch hazel? Just the chemist? Trying to be prepared as I always get them during pregnancy