+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby's room upstairs??

DS is 6mths and has a 11pm dreamfeed, but then goes down until 7-7.30am. Now that he's sleeping over night & starting to look squashed in the bassinet next to me, it's time to move in to the big boy cot - but it's upstairs!!

I feel like it's a whole suburb away, after having him right beside me (and often with me) in bed DH laughs at me saying I'm brung soft, but I hate the thought of him being so far.

Does anyone else live in a house where bubs' room is upstairs (with you downstairs)? How did you cope? What age did you move them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No advice sorry but just wanted to say that my DD will soon be four and I still can't imagine having her any further away than the room next door. So you are not alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    DS is 6mths and has a 11pm dreamfeed, but then goes down until 7-7.30am. Now that he's sleeping over night & starting to look squashed in the bassinet next to me, it's time to move in to the big boy cot - but it's upstairs!!

I feel like it's a whole suburb away, after having him right beside me (and often with me) in bed DH laughs at me saying I'm brung soft, but I hate the thought of him being so far.

Does anyone else live in a house where bubs' room is upstairs (with you downstairs)? How did you cope? What age did you move them?
    My dd is 16 months and still sleeps in a cot next to our bed for half the night, then she comes into bed with us for the rest (the majority). You are not being 'soft'! You are being a mummy! Every instinct tells you to be close to your baby! My sister just moved to a house where the kids rooms are at the other end of the house and she has her 3 year old on a mattress on the floor in her room!
    You need to do what's right for your family and what feels right for you and your bub. If you really want him in his own room maybe do some trials before committing! Can you sleep upstairs with him for a few nights?!? It might make it easier to do it slowly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or get a video monitor and you will hear every peep still and be able to see bub. We love our Oricom 700 and I just made it some 'pjs' out of blackout material so that it stays turned on in the charger next to my bed all night. We hear every cough and I just lift the cover to see him sleeping soundly. The range to upstairs would be the only concern as to whether the signal would travel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannaBamumma View Post
    If you really want him in his own room maybe do some trials before committing! Can you sleep upstairs with him for a few nights?!? It might make it easier to do it slowly.
    Thank-you - I was thinking of sleeping on a mattress on his floor for a few nights... So that doesn't make me slightly neurotic??!

I'd love him to stay in our room longer, but he's getting too big for the bassinet and there's no room for a cot. I guess he has to make the transition one day, so may as well start soon...ish...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2one99 View Post
    Or get a video monitor and you will hear every peep still and be able to see bub. We love our Oricom 700 and I just made it some 'pjs' out of blackout material so that it stays turned on in the charger next to my bed all night. We hear every cough and I just lift the cover to see him sleeping soundly. The range to upstairs would be the only concern as to whether the signal would travel.
    We have a great monitor that's very sensitive, but not video so this could be a good idea if I'm not coping after the move, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our dd moved into her room last week and although it's only 2 rooms away down a corridor, it felt like another suburb when I considered it 6 weeks ago. She's been tight in her bassinet for 2 months and strictly speaking should have left the bassinet 2 months ago, but I dragged my feet. But there was no room in our room for a cot (hardly room for the bassinet even!) so she had to go into her own room.

Over the last 4 weeks though I started realising that I wanted her to move. If she was asleep and I wanted something out of our room I had about a 50% chance of waking her (during the day). If my ds happened to make noise when the bedroom door was open that was closer to 100% chance of waking her! Doing simple stuff like changing our bedsheets was getting difficult. So, focusing on the positives of the move made a big difference.

The Oricom sc700 video monitor is fantastic. I love spying on my bubba and making sure she's ok without having to open the door & check on her. I think the video monitor is a great invention!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We co-sleep. But the only way I'd be more comfortable with a transition would be the the video monitor! Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just bought a uniden video monitor because I had to send my oricom (not video) back as its died after only 13 months (third time something went wrong with it) and its going to take probably a couple of weeks to get it back. I couldn't go that long without a monitor. I've had nothing but problems from it, I guess I got a dud. I got my uniden from **** smith and it's much cheaper than the oricom. I only got it today but so far I love it! It does everything my oricom did (plus video) except for read the temperature. That was handy but not worth another $100. I haven't tested the battery life on this one yet but the oricom battery life sucked! I wish I had a video monitor sooner, it would have saved a lot of angst.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS my DS slept better when we moved him at 6 months. He was only next door though sand we don't need a monitor for that so I see how upstairs is a big move for you. It is great when you don't have to sneak into bed at night though trying not to wake them.