+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am guilty of this too. It is hard. I was also going to say put that money into an account for something. It wouldn't take long before you had more than enough for something for her future or an experience you could all enjoy - Disney World holiday when she is 5 or 6 or earlier if you can't wait that long. We have travelled overseas a few times with our son and I believe it offers him lots of experiences that he wouldn't otherwise have. These may be fun and/or educational but we have also found the concentrated time in our company great for his development.

It is hard but every time you want to buy something write it down and if you really think she *needs* it a few days later buy it then. OR put it on laybuy, not sure if there are fees cancelling it though.

Try cheaper alternatives too - A Toy library allows a big rotation of age appropriate toys for a low outlay. If there is soemthing she *really* loves you could then buy it for birthday etc. Libraries also have a selection of DVDs.

Arrange to do Swimming lessons or other activities on the weekend so you can't go near the shops. Quality time with you is really all she needs.

Hope that helps. Recognising you have a problem is a good start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's normal with your first child. I was the same and it passed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beez1st View Post
    I like the idea of banking the money for her future! She is only 15 months so I am aware I have a long way to go! And know what we are doing is wrong!!
    For some unknown reason I tell myself to stop but walk out with it anyway, the last thing I want is a spoilt child that doesn't appreciate things arghhh!
    I am a semi reformed shopper who switched buying clothes & shoes for myself to buying them for my daughter instead! I've found that writing a code word on my credit card (or whatever spending source you use, even a note in your purse if you use cash) reminding me of my goals really works. Maybe if you wrote DD's name and the word wedding on your credit card it could help you see long term benefits to not spending and not spoiling. Visualising your daughter in her wedding dress could be a big motivator but don't get hung up on savings being used just for a wedding, she might like a home deposit or gap year in India or something else totally.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks it's reassuring to know I'm not the only person and it's going to end, I will make it work and try not to feel bad. I think it's more the kid me as she doesn't care. I got to remind myself that I'll turn her into a monster if I don't stop, she will be the kid that's throwing a tantrum for the toy, now that has to motivate me lol! Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's very easy to get into this trap. Well done for noticing and wanting to do something about it.

With my dd despite my knowledge that money is tight I still find myself buying her stuff all the time! The reality is that she is growing like a weed (a very pretty weed mind you) and the weather keeps changing and both result in my realisation that I don't have enough clothes for her. She's only 5 months old, but is in Size 0 and I'm starting to seriously look at moving her into some Size 1's as some of the Size 0's are tight. Thankfully I know this will slow down really soon and I won't need to buy clothes every week. My challenge is to make sure that when it's no longer necessary that I need to stop. Let's see how I go

For my ds it's a challenge not to buy him stuff throughout the year. I'd love to just buy him presents for Christmas & his birthday, but they are only a few weeks apart, so he does get stuff during the year. It was hard work not to buy stuff quite frequently. As our lounge room filled up with toys it got easier & easier! But financially there's no way we could have sustained $200/week in 'stuff'. Do you realise that $200 could pay for full time childcare, or top private school fees (primary school)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm similar with DD Shes never showed any "spoilt brat" traits.

When we go shopping she never asks for anything and never throws tantrums. So that's a bonus. Hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I'm similar with DD Shes never showed any "spoilt brat" traits.

When we go shopping she never asks for anything and never throws tantrums. So that's a bonus. Hahaha
    The same with my ds ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&MrMagoo View Post
    The same with my ds ...
    Lol ooops! You should see DDs toy room people are always shocked but to us it's normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup mr magoo has a few!! Lol. But I try to spread them out between the toy room, his room, and the backyard do its not so obvious! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha same!!