+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I know my feelings in this is from pure ignorance I am sure.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Your (I think irrational) fear is based on one experience of behaviour that could be exhibited by someone without a mental illness.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your (I think irrational) fear is based on one experience of behaviour that could be exhibited by someone without a mental illness.
    Wow. Since when did we start diagnosing?

Just out of interest, how would you feel about a daycare mum with a child who had an illness like schitzophrenia, bipolar, adhd, autism? Would you be ok with that?
    If you mean this as being the mum running daycare from home and her having the illness then this would preclude them from being a daycare mum. If you're talking about a mother who attends your daycare centre who happens to have a child with a mental illness...then I'm not sure I get why that question was asked given that this thread is not about that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just skimmed the thread, but my thoughts on the OP are in some future fantasy world where societies attitude towards mental illness changes I think optional disclosure would be great - for the purpose of understanding and support. Same as in Childcare when going through agency there was the question is there any reason you can't pick up a weight (child) of more than I think 10-15kgs (it's been a while I can't remember but about a 1-2 year old) I asked about it & it wasn't that they wouldn't hire you, it's that it's good to know so they can make allowances.

So optional disclosure if an employee feels it may impact their work. Or so they can call and say they're having a bad day and that the employer knows what that means to them. Or whatever the individual might need understanding for.

But I don't think mandatory disclosure is necessary or good, because while people have often inaccurate preconceived ideas about what mental illness - particularly those listed in the OP - depression, anxiety, bipolar... The describes most of my family! All perfectly normal and safe people to work in care, or work with children.

And I think it would give a false sense of security as well. Someone doesn't need a mental illness to be a danger in a care related industry.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 18-03-2012 at 06:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I've missed the diagnosis. Sounds interesting.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (18-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Not disclosing that you have a pre-existing condition when attempting to join the defence force is really a bad idea
    Not only is it a bad idea, it won't work. I know someone that was 'unstable' who got found out in rookies because of his behaviour. There are trigger words and acts that stand out when you're in pressurized situations and he was found out (and given his marching orders) pretty darn quickly.

They don't take people who are colour blind either.
    Actually, this isn't true. I'm currently working with two guys that are colour blind Their job options are very restricted and it does depend on the LEVEL of colour blindness, but you can still enlist.

They're currently making it difficult for my brother to join because he broke his elbow in 09 despite having a medical clearance.
    I know EXACTLY how that feels! I dislocated my elbow over 10 years ago and I had to go through the wringer on enlistment to prove that it wouldn't be a problem. I understand why though. I'm no good if my arm locks up or re-dislocates when someone is shooting at me .

But my point is that having a dislocation history (or break history) is viewed as just as relevant and a deciding factor as much as a mental health history. So you're not discriminated against any more heavily than someone who has a physical injury history just because your problem is mental rather than physical.
    I think in that instance Defence has gotten it right. Physical or mental, it's still a problem that might impact on your ability to serve and is treated with exactly the same level of scrutiny.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (18-03-2012),share a book  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post

If you mean this as being the mum running daycare from home and her having the illness then this would preclude them from being a daycare mum. If you're talking about a mother who attends your daycare centre who happens to have a child with a mental illness...then I'm not sure I get why that question was asked given that this thread is not about that.
    I'm talking about a daycare mum who has a child (pre-teen/teen) with that illness.

And no, having anxiety, depression, adhd, autism, or bi polar disorder does not preclude a person from running family daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm talking about a daycare mum who has a child (pre-teen/teen) with that illness.
    Okay, no probs so that's off topic then.

And no, having anxiety, depression, autism, or bi polar disorder does not preclude a person from running family daycare.
    Yes it can and it does. But so do other conditions. The registration requirements are very specific and strict.

I'd also like to point out that it's not only mental illness that can prove to be a hurdle in employment. You are precluded from certain positions if, for example, you have certain operations, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes (1 or 2), phobias, back injury, blindness, paraplegia, etc. And if you are found to have not disclosed you can in some instances be open to legal action. While yes, it's true that mental illness is singled out for special attention in society, so are other afflictions and the truth is that if you have a condition that may threaten your ability to perform a job then you have a duty of care to disclose this.

But my point is that having a dislocation history (or break history) is viewed as just as relevant and a deciding factor as much as a mental health history. So you're not discriminated against any more heavily than someone who has a physical injury history just because your problem is mental rather than physical.

I think in that instance Defence has gotten it right. Physical or mental, it's still a problem that might impact on your ability to serve and is treated with exactly the same level of scrutiny.
    I totally agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes it was off topic, I asked a particular member a specific question.

As for fdc, maybe it's different in different places. Where I live it has not come into it. I'm talking about people who have their condition under control. Or who have a condition that won't affect them at work.

I have ptsd but it won't affect me as a daycare mum. Nor will my anxiety. It was never a factor for me doing childcare in a centre or from home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sab serious question can bi polar be totally controlled

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Sab serious question can bi polar be totally controlled
    For some people, it is harder. But for many, including my brother and cousin, yes it can be controlled.

LMF did you see the other question? How would you feel about a daycare mum who had a pre-teen/teen child with autism or adhd or bipolar disorder?