+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Um i've lived in small towns all my life. And this is a place that doesn't have a high turnover of residents so you do get to know what people are up too when you have lived in a place for so long
    unless you morph your body into hers then you don't have a clue, no matter how long you've all lived there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlygirl
    Perhaps you don't work, don't get out and about, maybe you don't have friends, who knows? Perhaps people do know what you are doing, you just don't know it

People are so quick to attack and assume when they don't know the whole story, if you did you would understand our genuine concerns as parents regarding this person. Geez.......
    ha- well the irony here is astounding.I couldn't have said that better myself.
    Last edited by Izy; 14-03-2012 at 18:38. Reason: ref deleted text

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kimberlygal - it sounds like mental illness wasn't the issue, but substance abuse problems.
    The two often go hand in hand.

As for preclusion from the Police Force, not in South Australia. All applications are based on their own merit. For the ADF, yes. And rightly so. On the flipside, if you choose not to disclose on your application and are found out (and you will be) then you can be summarily dismissed. And rightly so.

There are some occupations that are not suitable for people with a mental illness, period. Yes it's discriminatory, yes, it might not seem fair, but life's not supposed to be fair and there are often very good reasons people with illnesses are not employable in certain positions. Employers have a duty of care to their other employees as well as their customers and if you suffer from a debilitating and potentially dangerous illness (which bipolar is) then you, as the applicant, have the duty to disclose this. There are a lot of things people aren't able to pursue for various reasons. That doesn't mean it's not fair, doesn't mean people are automatically judging you out of the market and it shouldn't make it a crusade for you to champion.

People who suffer bipolar do not just snap.
    I'm sorry, but yes they can and do. Bipolar isn't one illness, it's a group of illnesses and this group has many features and attributes that all differ from one another and from person to person.

We experience highs and lows which are called manic episodes.
    Episodes are of a specific time frame. They're not necessarily 'highs' and 'lows' as such either. You can have manic, hypomanic, major depressive and mixed depending on how long they last. Not all who suffer from this illness get this. It varies from person to person. And some episodes do come bang out of the blue like mine did. I'm grateful I wasn't driving a school bus or something at the time.
    Last edited by Caviar; 14-03-2012 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's really quite sad that so many people are using such a "blanket" approach to this. Mental illness comes in so many forms & levels. You can't simply say Joe Blow down the street is a druggo alcoholic who has bipolar, I wouldn't want someone with a mental illness caring for my child. It's a ridiculous statement. Clearly Joe Blow's condition isn't controlled. We're supposed to be discussing controlled mental illness.

FWIW, I have a history of depression. I also happen to work with children with disabilities. I have never once had a parent question my ability to care their child. If they somehow found out about my depression and had the same reaction as many of you, I would be terribly hurt. I am good at my job, and I think if anything, my "mental illness" helps me to relate to my client in a lot of ways.

Many of the example in this thread, to me seem more to do with personality then that person's mental illness. Some PEOPLE aren't suited to care positions. That has definitely been outlined in this thread. But it's certainly not dependent on mental health status alone.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

chicken and eggs mum  (15-03-2012),Izy  (15-03-2012),Jakois  (15-03-2012),kriista  (15-03-2012),MuminMind  (15-03-2012),Roopee  (15-03-2012),Rutabaga  (18-03-2012),share a book  (17-03-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've remained pretty quiet up until this point, interested to see what the general opinion was going to be. I am happy to see that, for the most part, there is a general acceptance that those with mental health issues have every bit as much chance to be capable in their job as the next person.

There will always be those whose minds are too closed to understand that mental illness is not the bogeyman. Years of caricature in tv shows and movies have done their job well. Couple that with people linking it to alcoholism or drug use, and you get people believing in a stereotype.

At the end of the day, mental illness is something that a vast number of people have to deal with. Some deal with it daily, others irregularly. What's important is that we spread the word that mental illness is NOTHING to be ashamed of and shouldn't limit sufferers to not doing jobs that they're fully capable of and enjoy doing.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-03-2012),BH-KatiesMum  (17-03-2012),Eko  (18-03-2012),Izy  (15-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (17-03-2012),kriista  (15-03-2012),share a book  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As part of my job in healthcare I do a lot of recruitment. Potential employees are asked to disclose any physical or mental illnesses, and they are sent for a medical assessment to determine the impact of any illnesses or injuries on their ability to do the job.

T0 contributors to this thread who have an issue with someone with a history of mental illness (past or current) in a caring role- you would be really surprised to know just how many highly responsible, attentive and extremely competent individuals work in these areas. As a manager it is important that I am aware of anything that may have an impact on work performance, as I can then be flexible and supportive when I know someone is going through a difficult time emotionally, just as I can be supportive with time off / alternative duties if one of my staff has a physical injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Yes I think it should be also would not feel comfortable of I knew someone at my kids daycare was bi-polar etc we as Humana and medication can only control things so much
    I know it's not contagious but there have been many stories of people with mental disorders either not taking medicine and having a break down or just snapping one day I just wouldn't feel comfortable having a child around them.
    There are a lot of people in society (without a diagnosed mental illness) who pose a far greater risk due to anger management issues for example. I can understand why people don't disclose their mental illness because of the massive negative stigma associated with it.

Oh and for the record, I have PND and that does not prevent me from being a fantastic mum, a great friend and a great worker. All my colleagues know about my PND and my particularly low times, and I have had nothing but support and encouragement from them.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-03-2012),GluttonForPunishment  (16-03-2012),inkognito  (16-03-2012),Izy  (16-03-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (18-03-2012),MuminMind  (16-03-2012),Rutabaga  (18-03-2012),share a book  (16-03-2012),Witwicky  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this subject brings forth too much emotion from some to be able to elicit an even judgement.

I wasn't saying that mental illness is anything to be ashamed of but that, realistically, the existence of mental illness in an incumbent makes them illeligible for some types of employment, thus making disclosure necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMama View Post
    There are a lot of people in society (without a diagnosed mental illness) who pose a far greater risk due to anger management issues for example. I can understand why people don't disclose their mental illness because of the massive negative stigma associated with it.

Oh and for the record, I have PND and that does not prevent me from being a fantastic mum, a great friend and a great worker. All my colleagues know about my PND and my particularly low times, and I have had nothing but support and encouragement from them.
    I understand your point and I am not saying these people are bad I am just stating my comfort level with putting my child into a care center with them. Just the same if I had a family member who suffered I would not leave my child alone with them again just my comfort level with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand your point and I am not saying these people are bad I am just stating my comfort level with putting my child into a care center with them. Just the same if I had a family member who suffered I would not leave my child alone with them again just my comfort level with it.
    Just out of interest, how would you feel about a daycare mum with a child who had an illness like schitzophrenia, bipolar, adhd, autism? Would you be ok with that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Just out of interest, how would you feel about a daycare mum with a child who had an illness like schitzophrenia, bipolar, adhd, autism? Would you be ok with that?
    Like a mom that had one of these that had kids? I dont know, I know my feelings in this is from pure ignorance I am sure., I have only known 1 person with bi-polar and maybe she wasnt on meds not sure she said she was, but she would flip and throw things, yell, scream, and was scary so my feelings are based on not knowing a whole lot about these execpt ADHD, Autism and SPD as my son has them which I am more comfortable with and wouldnt have a problem with them being cared for in a center by someone with these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like a mom that had one of these that had kids? I dont know, I know my feelings in this is from pure ignorance I am sure., I have only known 1 person with bi-polar and maybe she wasnt on meds not sure she said she was, but she would flip and throw things, yell, scream, and was scary so my feelings are based on not knowing a whole lot about these execpt ADHD, Autism and SPD as my son has them which I am more comfortable with and wouldnt have a problem with them being cared for in a center by someone with these.
    My dd has ASD, ADHD and a social anxiety disorder.

My broth has bi polar disorder which is fully under control and he is one of the best teachers around.

His wife is also a teacher, loses control, smashes things, is abusive, but has no recognised illness. A Hubber's dd is taught by her and this Hubber says she is a cow (hello hubber lol).

I will do fdc from April, and fdc+homeschool by September.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (18-03-2012)