+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 93
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,747
    Thanks
    5,085
    Thanked
    8,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm feeling the need to defend small towns - ours is awesome!
    Small minds however?.......

    I think that it is absolutely unnecessary and hugely discriminatory to insist on disclosure of mental illness.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

    GluttonForPunishment  (15-03-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (14-03-2012),MuminMind  (13-03-2012),RastaMouse  (16-03-2012),Roopee  (13-03-2012),SassyMummy  (14-03-2012),Witwicky  (18-03-2012)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a house.......
    Posts
    7,804
    Thanks
    423
    Thanked
    741
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awww Misskitty, I should have clarified. You're absolutely right- its not the town but the minds within it.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

    Alexander Beetle  (13-03-2012),misskittyfantastico  (13-03-2012),MuminMind  (13-03-2012),SassyMummy  (14-03-2012)

  5. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    Kimberlygirl- how does the 'town' know she hasn't beaten those addictions? Maybe in a past life she was substance dependant but perhaps she has sought help for her issues and is now clean? Her M.I does not make her a 'risk'.

    See, this is the problem with small towns, people proclaim to know everyone elses business when in fact they know nothing at all. Trust me, I know, I grew up in one- it was awful!
    Um i've lived in small towns all my life. And this is a place that doesn't have a high turnover of residents so you do get to know what people are up too when you have lived in a place for so long
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 13-03-2012 at 22:58.

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Um i've lived in small towns all my life. And this is a place that doesn't have a high turnover of residents so you do get to know what people are up too when you have lived in a place for so long

    I live in a small town. Nobody knows what im doing How do you know what she is doing behind doors?

    OP, no, i dont think it has to be disclosed

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    I live in a small town. Nobody knows what im doing How do you know what she is doing behind doors?

    OP, no, i dont think it has to be disclosed
    Perhaps you don't work, don't get out and about, maybe you don't have friends, who knows? Perhaps people do know what you are doing, you just don't know it

    People are so quick to attack and assume when they don't know the whole story, if you did you would understand our genuine concerns as parents regarding this person. Geez.......
    Last edited by Izy; 14-03-2012 at 18:35. Reason: not needed/inflamatory

  8. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Perhaps you don't work, don't get out and about, maybe you don't have friends, who knows? Perhaps people do know what you are doing, you just don't know it

    People are so quick to attack and assume when they don't know the whole story, if you did you would understand our genuine concerns as parents regarding this person. Geez.......

    Couldn't have said it better myself
    Last edited by Izy; 14-03-2012 at 18:36. Reason: ref deleted text

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

    Luna Lovegood  (15-03-2012),SassyMummy  (14-03-2012)

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Adelaide foothills
    Posts
    753
    Thanks
    462
    Thanked
    426
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you think that controlled mental illness such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, or any other needs to be disclosed when working in aged care, nursing, disabilities, childcare, teaching, or any other industry where a person is responsible for the care of others?
    For a lot of these professions, this is decided for you as the employment contracts require you to disclose. Personally, I feel that this is a fair request.

    I also believe that 'working with children' checks should start much earlier than they do and that there should be no exemptions.

  11. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Controlled mental illness, not an issue. And that doesn't even necessarily mean meds either. There are great natural therapies and counsellors.

    Kimberlygal - it sounds like mental illness wasn't the issue, but substance abuse problems. However if it's a small town like you say I would suspect the employer would have known that and seeing as they employed her anyway I think the discrimination that saw her not get employed is disgraceful.

    To the person who asked about the defence force - the issue is that some of the training is very mentally and emotionally taxing and that the job can send you places where you can't access medication like the field, sea, remote bases like the one in Kuwait, so they tend not to take on people with mental illness but there is an appeals process.

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    mcdowall
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked
    135
    Reviews
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Out of interest, does a mental illness such as bipolar or schizophrenia preclude you from the defence or police forces?


    Hi,

    Yes it does if you disclose it.

    However I have now read everyone else's posts in this thread and Have thought about it all.

    Alot of the posts here are the exact reason why I choose to not disclose my bipolar to many employers. People have such small minds when it comes to mental illness.


    I would like to dispell some of the myths surrounding Bipolar disorder.

    1. I am medicated and have been since diognosis.
    2. Although I can experience up's and downs the majority of society would be hard pressed to know that I have a mental illness
    3. I do not have split personalities ( thats a different mental illness)
    4. People who suffer bipolar do not just snap. We experience highs and lows which are called manic episodes. I tend to suffer with Highs and when I do I'm very happy and will go days with little sleep.
    5. People who suffer bipolar tend to also suffer anxiety which can make it even harder disclose there illness.

    I just want to finish by saying that when you suffer bipolar it is a chemical imbalance in your brain. My brain does not know when to release chemicals such a seritonan when I am sad nor how much to release etc. That is why people with bipolar take mood stabiliser medication.

    We can not help having a mental illness nor can we change your attitude about it. But when you go to judge someone that has a mental illness think about this

    Would you treat someone that suffers epilepsy the same or diabetes for that matter, they could pass out whilst holding your child, driving your childs school bus etc.

    Please have some compassion for those of us that do suffer a mental illness.

    MENTAL ILLNESS IS NOT A CHOOICE BUT HOW YOU TREAT US IS

  13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

    Annabella  (14-03-2012),babyla  (14-03-2012),BH-KatiesMum  (17-03-2012),Eko  (18-03-2012),Izy  (14-03-2012),Jakois  (14-03-2012),kriista  (14-03-2012),MissMuppet  (14-03-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (14-03-2012),RastaMouse  (16-03-2012),~ElectricPink~  (14-03-2012)

  14. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not disclosing that you have a pre-existing condition when attempting to join the defence force is really a bad idea, how would you get access to your medication when you're at basic training? You can't just go to see a civilian doctor. Similarly if you are deployed they only take the medication with them that they know they'll need for pre-existing conditions. When dad went to Afghanistan in 2010 he had get take with him a 9 month supply of anti-inflammatory meds for his arthritis because there was no way of getting them once he was there.

    They also don't recruit people with epilepsy or diabetes, what if they passed out while on look out and the ship hit something? They don't take people who are colour blind either.

    They're currently making it difficult for my brother to join because he broke his elbow in 09 despite having a medical clearance.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ex husband ongoing drug and mental health issues
    By murrythecat in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 11:24
  2. Any other single parents with mental health issues?
    By LizMaya in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-06-2012, 20:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
121Temps
For the last 10 years 121 Temps has helped thousands of personal assistants/others to set up and work as a virtual assistant from home. Our services include: - One-2-One Mentoring - Online training/courses - Handbook, Toolkits, Templates & more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!