+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In addition to my previous post, I also think any illness that will affect the way you perform your duties at work should be disclosed. If only so your employer can put measures into place to protect you. If your anxiety is triggered by the sight of blood, then your employer should know so they can protect you from a situation where you will be exposed to it, for example. It would be the same if you had a bad back, your employer would do all they could to help with lifting, etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If a persons mental illness is controlled then I don't think that it needs to be disclosed. The risk of discrimination would be to great.

IMO society already judges those with Mental Illness harshly enough. Mandatory disclosure of MI would just alienate those with MI even more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    ]

I agree. Being a small town where we live there were many parents including myself objecting to a person who had mental issues and had applied and was successful in getting a job at the daycare centre. But she also mixed drugs and alcohol into the equation, it was local knowledge in town that she was very unstable. She would not take her meds at times and do stints at a mental hospital and it was a repeated cycle. She didn't get a start at the centre in the end.
    She she was discriminated against because of MI? How revolting.

Small town mentality really is pathetic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally speaking, it is not unlawful for an employer to ask a prospective employee to disclose any conditions that may have an impact on their ability to perform the inherent requirements of the position. Given that, in most Australian jurisdictions, 'injury' or 'illness' is defined to include both physical and mental illness, I believe that disclosure may be lawfully requested.
    That's just the legal position, though....it's not necessarily what I believe to be right or fair.
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 13-03-2012 at 19:57.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Izy  (13-03-2012),twotrunks  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's great to hear some pp's having informed opinions around mental illness. Given the Australian statistic of 1 in 5 people experiencing M.I at one time in their lives, it's highly likely that we all know someone in a paid caring role that has a M.I. It is up to the employee whether they disclose their illness to their employer but I hope that employers could become a little more knowledgable about M.I. so that they do not discriminate against potential employees. 1 of the carers at my son's daycare has schizophrenia, another has anxiety and I bet there are a fair few who drink like fishes after hours. On top of that there is the 1 who has the gammy leg, another with a terrible lazy eye, 1 with psoriasis and a couple who wear glasses. Are they all looking after the kids well despite of their mental and physical issues? Of course. That's all I care about.

It's about time ill-informed people got better educated about mental illness. Stigma around M.I. is just silly and we know that people with M.I's do better when they are in paid employment as part of their 'recovery'. I also know that caring roles are usually the roles that people with M.I. are often persuaded to apply for by Centrelink or Employment agencies. I'd be more concerned about the number of security guards with 'ego issues' who tote licenced firearms in public areas.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How far do we extrapolate?

As mums we all want the best for our children and part of this us the safety of our children so does this mean we should ban all people with epilepsy from childcare in case they have a fit and traumatize our kids, ban the women with a history of heart disease in case she has a heart attack at work or prevent the worker with diabetes just in case their blood sugars go awol? Just food for thought people......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    She she was discriminated against because of MI? How revolting.

Small town mentality really is pathetic.
    So you would be ok for a drug taking alcoholic to look after your kids? A person who is on another planet a majority of the time! Drugs, alcohol and a mental illness on top of it. Small town mentality.. I think not.. How rude! Good reason to be concerned as a parent in this scenario I would think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So you would be ok for a drug taking alcoholic to look after your kids? A person who is on another planet a majority of the time! Drugs, alcohol and a mental illness on top of it. Small town mentality.. I think not.. How rude! Good reason to be concerned as a parent in this scenario I would think.
    So the Child Care Centre thought she was fit to offer her the job, but your townsfolk changed their mind?

Just how is it that the whole town knew that she wasn't taking her meds? That she had substance abuse issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she is performing her duties at work and her employees at happy with her and how she interracts with the kids I would trust their judgement.

If she stopped taking her meds/started coming to work under the influence, I would trust the employers to terminate her employment due to her inability to perform her duties. Pretty simple really.

I know many people with quite serious mental illnesses, and when they're taking their medication they are fine. They are very loving parents who I would trust with my own children (especially in a supervised environment like a cc centre).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kimberlygirl- how does the 'town' know she hasn't beaten those addictions? Maybe in a past life she was substance dependant but perhaps she has sought help for her issues and is now clean? Her M.I does not make her a 'risk'.

See, this is the problem with small towns, people proclaim to know everyone elses business when in fact they know nothing at all. Trust me, I know, I grew up in one- it was awful!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (16-03-2012)