+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Out of interest, does a mental illness such as bipolar or schizophrenia preclude you from the defence or police forces?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry of someone's already mentioned this, but disclosure won't make much difference since there's probably plenty of undiagnosed people out there who won't need to disclose anything to an employer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Out of interest, does a mental illness such as bipolar or schizophrenia preclude you from the defence or police forces?
    I don't suffer from either nor have I ever tried to get into the defence forces, but a friend wanted to train as a pilot for the air force, and couldn't as a result of his bipolar. He had been "good" for quite a while, but in his teenage years was a patient in a mental healthcare facility for a while.

He could, instead, be a commercial pilot though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    ]

I agree. Being a small town where we live there were many parents including myself objecting to a person who had mental issues and had applied and was successful in getting a job at the daycare centre. But she also mixed drugs and alcohol into the equation, it was local knowledge in town that she was very unstable. She would not take her meds at times and do stints at a mental hospital and it was a repeated cycle. She didn't get a start at the centre in the end.
    Oh. You mean like a witch hunt? I get it.

No it shouldn't be disclosed. Should stupidity and ignorance be disclosed? Please.
    Mental illnes is a REAL illness. And someone elses suffering is no-one elses business.
    Would you disclose that you once had an illnes? Oh I dont know, something like this.
    'Hi- my names **** and I suffer from a lot of ear infections" No? It's irrelevant.
    Light ya pitch forks ladies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (13-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I can't say when it comes to the police force, but to work in Defence you do have to go through a mental check before entry. It's an interview with a psych and it can be pretty in-depth. I'm not an expert, but as far as I know bipolar disorder and Schizophrenia do preclude you from entry, even if it's being treated.
    You do have to disclose if you've ever been treated for depression, and yes, people do get knocked back if they have been treated (even for mild things like minor anxiety attacks that just give you the sweats when you're unsure). There is an appeal process, there are cases where if you have been off medication for at least a year under medical supervision and have had no problems then they will allow you to sign up.
    Sometimes it's longer, sometimes it's shorter depending on your 'problem'. Sometimes it's just a flat out no. But in Defence (as I would imagine with police) you're dealing with live weapons and live ammunition on a regular basis and because of that the entrance requirements are quite stringent.

The justification is that even if you're being treated and haven't had a problem for years, there's one small problem. If you're out field and cut off from your medicine for even 1 day, what happens to you and all the mates that you're supposed to be watching the backs of?

But you're told all of that on enlistment. If you don't want to disclose that information, it's quite simple. You just don't enlist .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    So someone has a drug problem, an alcohol problem, and *uncontrolled* mental illness, but the mental illness is the problem? And townfolk can interfere with the employment opportunities of this person? Was anyone giving this person support at all? That poor woman must have felt so alone and worried
    This person has not 1 problem, she has 3 serious ones that all have the very possible potential to interfere with her work. The concern of parents in regards to a person such as this looking after their children is warranted in this instance. She needs to be able to look after herself nevermind being in the position to be supervising children and her history has shown very clearly she wasn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Kimberley, surely you can see though that it's not a case of her mental illness being to blame for her lack of ability to care for others... so much as the fact that she drinks, does drugs and doesn't medicate herself properly for her MI.

It's not mental illness alone that's caused any drama - it's her decision to not medicate and to take drugs and alcohol as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. But only if thyroid disorders, diabetes, endocrine issues, sterility, cholecystitis, kidney stones, ingrown hairs, tonsillectomies (etc.) are.

Mental illness is an illness. It is caused by exactly the same thing as other illnesses: chemical imbalances within the body. It can be treated by exactly the same sort of method: rebalancing the imbalances.

If someone keeps taking their meds, it's none of my damned business what those meds are for.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This thread has been very interesting to me, as I suffer from anxiety and depression and am a student midwife. I can usually tell when my anxiety is going to get bad or 'flare up' and I can remove myself from situations in advance and seek help so that I can feel better ASAP. At its worst it is quite debilitating.
    I don't think people should have to disclose details of their mental illness to employers. Although I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone who had an uncontrolled, untreated disorder caring for my child in daycare/kinder - im sure my children will come across those people many times during the course of their lives and we will probably never know. As long as there's assumptions and judgements made about people with mental illnesses it's impossible to feel safe telling people about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    ]

I agree. Being a small town where we live there were many parents including myself objecting to a person who had mental issues and had applied and was successful in getting a job at the daycare centre. But she also mixed drugs and alcohol into the equation, it was local knowledge in town that she was very unstable. She would not take her meds at times and do stints at a mental hospital and it was a repeated cycle. She didn't get a start at the centre in the end.
    That story makes me very sad
    I'm so relieved I don't live in a small town. Horrifying.