+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I absolutely do, but I think more in the situation my mother is in.

She is her father's carer. He's 89, has dementia and other numerous ailments which make him caring for himself, rather tricky.

Mum, has been "depressed" (not in any way implying it doesn't exist, my mother's situation is a little different to most), for about 20 years. Is addicted to anti-depressants, sleeping pills and alcohol and is constantly telling me how she spends most of her time, out of the house avoiding her father.

IMO, she should have had an assessment done to make sure she was able to cope with all aspects of caring for him, by an independant psych, for Centrelink to "accept" her as a fit carer. (Centrelink, because apart from them, really, who else knows or cares that she is a carer)

I know most people in an industry such as this, would be taking the appropriate action into their mental health, but some don't and I think there should be assessments done (with or without disclosure of mental health status), to determine whether a person is able to "cope" in the chosen proffession.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can totally understand both sides of the coin here but I find it particularly disturbing that people would avoid helping their children with their issues purely for the sake if potential employment in later life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I think it should be also would not feel comfortable of I knew someone at my kids daycare was bi-polar etc we as Humana and medication can only control things so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on what is meant by 'disclosed'. If someone has an active mental health condition that is likely to affect their work then yes, it is a good idea that someone at work knows, but that should be the boss, not everyone in the workplace as it really isn't their business.

However, to say that someone with bipolar shouldn't be in a carers role is crazy. Pardon the pun! Bipolar is often well controlled and there may be no issues at all for years & years on end. In fact there may only be 1 period of time in a persons life where it might impact on their work. Why, then would it be needed for someone to disclose that. And to then potentially exclude them from caring roles for life in case a relative of a patient, or a parent of a child, is scared of someone with a mental illness is just plain crazy.

My Dad has had severe depression, although I suspect he has undiagnosed bipolar. He's had depression twice and worked through it both times. He's never had a severe manic episode that has negatively impacted his work. He's nearly 65.

My MIL has been hospitalised for depression in the past. But that was 4 years ago. Do her co-workers need to know? No way! It was a short-lived, but severe bout of depression. If her co-workers knew they might be forever concerned that a bad day could trigger them needing to call an ambulance & rush my MIL to hospital for depression ... or some such crazy notion. Seriously, lots of people do not understand mental illness and I've come across a lot of prejudice and misinformation about it. Having to disclose this information at a new job would be dreadful.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (13-03-2012),share a book  (13-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-03-2012),teacupbunny  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having worked in the industry, I have become close to some of the people who have looked after my dd in childcare centres and have known (through being friends with them) that some have had bi-polar, some have had severe depression, some have even been hospitalised because of it, but I trust them as childcare workers. Undiagnosed and untreated, I believe, would be far riskier. And yes, I also agree that kids need to be given the right start in life. That means helping and supporting them, which is far easier with a diagnosis than without one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Yes I think it should be also would not feel comfortable of I knew someone at my kids daycare was bi-polar etc we as Humana and medication can only control things so much
    It's not like they have some contagious disease that your child is going to catch. Out of all my family, my sister who is in control of her bipolar would be the one I trust my children with the most out of my 5 siblings.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (14-03-2012),inkognito  (13-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (13-03-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (13-03-2012),Rutabaga  (13-03-2012),teacupbunny  (15-03-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (13-03-2012),~ElectricPink~  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's not like they have some contagious disease that your child is going to catch. Out of all my family, my sister who is in control of her bipolar would be the one I trust my children with the most out of my 5 siblings.
    My cousin is one of the few people to babysit for me, and my brother is a teacher in high demand. He has schools in WA, Tasmania, England and Sweden offering him work. We live in NQ. He won't move from here, though, and is currently a SAHD. Both my brother and cousin have Bi Polar, both have it under control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand from an employers point of view why they might prefer it to be disclosed. However, I know myself, as someone who is diagnosed with depression, I am wary as to who I disclose this information to. Unfortunately, there is a lot of stigma attached to mental illnesses. It took me a long time before I sought out help for it, as I was worried that I may be deemed "unstable" and unfit to care for my son, even though I KNOW that he is not in any danger as a result of my mental illness. I won't be disclosing it to any future employers - as long as it doesn't affect my ability to be professional in a workplace environment (which I know it won't), then it's none of their business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Just wanted some clarification. Are you saying in a child care setting staff should disclose to not only their employer but the parents as well?

No I don't think mental illness should have to be disclosed to an employer. I do 100% think that if it is disclosed to an employer that there should be no discrimination what so ever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No.

Employers don't need to know everything about me that might affect my work. A late night, drank too much Fri night and still have a head ache, feeling a bit arthritic today, knee's playing up, emotional because my husband is having an affair, or annoyed because the 'wrong' party got elected - all things that could affect my job. But my employer does not need to know (and probably doesn't want to know). (for the record, I made these up)

On the flipside, having a mental illness that is managed and under control may have absolutely no affect on your performance.

Many of us experience mental illness, it might be a transient thing, or an ongoing issue. It doesn't effect someone's right to privacy in their employment.

I do understand that certain professions do require disclosure, but those jobs also require other disclosures such as having drunk too much the night before or being unusually fatigued (I believe pilots have requirements like that? I could be wrong) But I do not agree with extending that to all carers.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babyla  (13-03-2012),inkognito  (13-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-03-2012),teacupbunny  (15-03-2012),~ElectricPink~  (13-03-2012)