+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Possibly Distressing* Mental health issues in care industries

Do you think that controlled mental illness such as anxiety, depression, bipolar, or any other needs to be disclosed when working in aged care, nursing, disabilities, childcare, teaching, or any other industry where a person is responsible for the care of others?

(this is from a discussion at school this afternoon)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would be the same as any other illness, disability etc wouldn't it? I always put down my illness and medication.
    Just incase for some reason I have an accident and I'm not conscious and something interferes with medication I'm on.

I can however Understand why some people wouldn't.
    Maybe a fear of being discriminated against because mental illness still has such a negative stigma attached to it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it is something that could potentially interfere with the staff members ability to do their job then yes it should be disclosed. If it is controlled then no. but that opinion stems to any industry, not just care positions.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would never want to feel like I HAD to disclose that information.

Mine doesn't interfere with my ability to work with other people, and given the stigma attached, I'd rather people not be privy that to information unless I decide that I want them to know. I don't want anyone thinking, "That Stacey is going to have a mental breakdown..." or whatever.

I think it's too easy to get treated like a condition rather than like a person when you disclose this information.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

inkognito  (13-03-2012),Liddybugs  (13-03-2012),~ElectricPink~  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some mums were of the opinion that diagnosing things like that, and Asperger's/Autism will affect them later in life. I mentioned that it's better to be diagnosed and controlled than left undiagnosed and uncontrolled. They said even controlled it would have to be disclosed and would affect employment. Another one said that it needs to be diagnosed, controlled, AND disclosed in case of flare-ups, particularly with bi polar, even if that means finding work in those fields is made difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    i dont believe it needs to be told to anyone if you have it under control. sometimes i do however believe it could be in peoples best interest to be open and honest with their employer so they know however their employer should keep such information confidential if the employee shared such info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not at all. People have a right to privacy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do. Two of my sisters have bipolar, both in control, both are nurses. One is more in tune with it than the other. Both are medicated and aware of and experience the up and down cycle. My sister who is more in tune with her condition can recognise when she is about to hit a low and tells her employer she needs to take leave and they are very understanding.

Having said this, I do not believe that anyone should be discriminated against because of it.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 12-03-2012 at 19:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I have bipolar type 2 and have worked in a variety of different jobs the main being childcare. I have disclosed in the past when I felt comfortable too, however someplaces I have not said a word.

You can be discriminated against for having a mental illness , because there are so many misconceptions that people have.

I find that I am quiet an open and honest person whenit comes to my mental illness but I don't think it should be a requirement to disclose when working in these industries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    Hi,

I have bipolar type 2 and have worked in a variety of different jobs the main being childcare. I have disclosed in the past when I felt comfortable too, however someplaces I have not said a word.

You can be discriminated against for having a mental illness , because there are so many misconceptions that people have.

I find that I am quiet an open and honest person whenit comes to my mental illness but I don't think it should be a requirement to disclose when working in these industries.
    Thank you for sharing. That's how I think too, disclosure being up to the individual, not forced.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (13-03-2012)