+ Reply to Thread
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gastro & Breastfeeding

I have had gastro since last night and I'm a bit worried about my milk supply. DS2 (10 mths) has barely fed in this timeframe (not sure why?), I haven't eaten a single thing and can't really keep liquid down either. Should I be concerned about my supply diminishing within a 24 hour timeframe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could the gastro be effecting the taste? I don't think in 24hrs it could be effected too much. Have you tried some ice blocks to keep yourself hydrated? Maybe try and hand express in the shower to keep up stimulation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yup, ice blocks (not sugared) to keep yourself hydrated. Not sure if you can have hydrolight while your bfing but they are good for dehydration...just ask your chemist.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got gastro while breastfeeding DD2 (who was around 9-10 months at the time) and it did stuff up my supply. I just wasn't producing enough milk - and that happened in 24 hours. DD was hungry ( i know she was hungry, she was crying for milk and not weeing) - i kept up trying to feed her but resorted to formula as she needed milk and wasn't getting enough from me.
    I am always being told this isn't possible but it happened to me.
    Once i was well i literally just feed her all day long for several days and my supply did start to come back. Although it was never the same i was still able to still feed until she was around 13-14 months (not exclusively though).

You should be okay though - try to drink some hydralite or similar, it is foul tasting but it will help. Hope you feel better soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huge huge This was me exactly 2 weeks ago and DS is 10 months too

DS had it first on the Sunday night and he started to refuse everything. I just started to feed him small feeds every 1/2 hour or so and had to express as he just wasn't emptying my breasts. This did start to affect my supply a little as it lasted 24 hours.

THEN I got it on the Monday night Couldn't keep down any water and just didn't have the energy to do anything. My supply plumented and I really thought that this was the end of our BF relationship. I happened so so quickly and I think the lack of fluids was a huge factor.

It did take the better part of 1-2 weeks but I did get my supply back. At least the good thing about 10 month olds is that they can be sustained on 'other' foods temporarily (water/solids/etc). DS doesn't take a bottle so even if I wanted to give formula I couldn't have. That worked in our favour though as I just fed, fed, FED for days and now exactly 2 weeks later tomorrow, we're back to normal.

Long story short, it's bloody hard but you definitely can do it. Good luck.

Sorry for the long post!! I really hope you feel better soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much for the replies, you have all been extremely helpful. I have been sucking the ice blocks and keeping him on the breast as much as possible. I haven't vomited since yesterday so hopefully that means the worst of it is over.

This has definitely been the biggest struggle on our breastfeeding journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had gastro with dd and just kept feeding and didn't have a problem with supply.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsybum For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)