+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ormiston College

I recently did a tour of Ormiston College. It was very impressive. We live Northside currently and would need to make a move to attend the school if we got places for our sons. It would be a big decision. Does anyone on here have their children in this school that could give some insight as to what the school is like and what you love and don't love about it?
    Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids go to Ormiston College and we are very happy with the school. If there are any questions you need answered feel free to ask. It is a very good school and my DD is very happy there, so if she is happy and learning I am happy. Of course I would like it to be cheaper, lol, but you get what you pay for. The waiting lists tell how popular the school is, what year would your children be starting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The resources are amazing. Though I've heard are primarily used as revenue raisers (hire) rather than for the students to use for class time (ie their ridiculously amazing theatre)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The theatre is used for concerts, assemblies and school productions. I even attended my DSs Early Learning Concert there, so it does get used by the students. Of course they do hire it out to ballet studios for there productions among other things, but the children benefit from it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    The theatre is used for concerts, assemblies and school productions. I even attended my DSs Early Learning Concert there, so it does get used by the students. Of course they do hire it out to ballet studios for there productions among other things, but the children benefit from it too.
    I know. I said it isn't really used for class time. It's used for musicals and assemblies of course, but what a magnificent space for a drama class and they aren't allowed to touch it. High turn over of staff due to horrible working conditions for teachers in terms of unrealistic expectations. Im sure it's lovely for students though, just making the point that the resources could be used more often

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am assuming you have first hand experience with the school. What are the unrealistic expectations and horrible work conditions placed on the teachers? I know they have to coach a sports team two terms a year and obviously have the other teacher stuff like parent teacher interviews and information nights, but didn't realise there was a huge turnover, a lot of the teachers I have spoken too have been there quite a while.

They actually have a new junior arts centre which has a drama room complete with stage for the drama classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left the school last year and I am constantly seeing the same teaching positions advertised almost every year - 2 years. Some teachers have been there for a while, usually those who are in higher positions. Ie coordinators etc
    You are told what to teach, how to teach it with very minimal room for personal opinion and growth. Class results are apparently a direct reflection of the practicing teacher despite the natural abilities (including learning difficulties) of the class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But like I said, from parental perspective it's a great school. Well presented and nice kids. Slightly above average results. Just raised the point that facilities could be better utilized seeing as that seems to be a real selling point for the school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably should also note I'm talking about experience in secondary sector - not primary