+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3yo DD very suddenly stuttering

My DD has developed quite a bad stutter, kind of out of nowhere. It first started when she was upset so we didn't think it was anything, but now she is stuttering over every sentence. She's always been ahead with her talking, she said her first word at 7 months and didn't stop from there, and she has a pretty big vocabulary for her age. I know she knows the words to use to express how she feels, because she was speaking fine a couple of weeks ago, but now she's stumbling over them. Is this normal or something we should be having checked?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is normal. Around this age children's brains work faster than their mouths, so they stutter while their mouth is trying to catch up to the brain.

However it cant hurt to get her checked out for peace of mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's a relief! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son did it for a little while at about 2.5, he grew out of it after a few months.

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, my dd did the same thing, and it slowly dissappeared..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op your post I could have written 12 months ago about ds. He is almost 4 (in 2 months) and he was the same. He is brilliant now and talks do well. Stuns people. I saw a dr and they said its normal as they are trying to say more in one sentence and it just gets jumbled up and they take a little longer. I am sure it will past. Ds still does it sometimes but not often.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing.
    Will return this evening when children have ceased hanging off my legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS does this ocassionally. He started I guess when he was around two? It only lasts for a few weeks max at a time though. Broke my heart one morning when he asked me why he did it but it took him about 5 mins to get the sentence out Based on that I took him to a speechy (no referal needed) who basically said it can occur when children learn build their vocab quickly and learn alot of new words (like growth spurts except its language).

Her advice was: to monitor it by recording when it occurs (time, date), severity (on a scale of 1-10), where in the sentece it occurs. Do this over a week or so. If it gets worse then see someone.
    She also talked about "smooth" and "bumpy" talking and encourages/praises their smooth talking voices.
    She also dispelled the myth (often held by some EC teachers) that you should stop a child who is stuttering, draw attention to it and ask them to repeat it slowly. Instead, she advises to fill in the words for the child that they are stumbling on or give them prompts in the sentece to keep going. This doesnt draw attention to the mistake rather gives the child confidence and reassures them that their talking is "normal". Dismiss it bascially.
    If this doesnt work or you are worried that the stuttering is increasing then she advised an intenstive program- cant remember it off the top of my head but I can find it for you if needed- like a weekly workshop for 8 weeks which has an amazing success rate.
    Sorry for the long reply. Hope it has helped.