+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting a Taxi with baby

Ok, this may sound like a very stupid question but I am a bit confused....

I am going overseas soon & at my destination I will have a car with a carseat BUT on my way home I stop in Hong Kong for 2 nights, I won't have a carseat & will have to catch a taxi around, how do I do this? Do taxi's have carseats in them ready to go? I have always wondered this & now I am in the position where I have to grab one & I have no idea what I am supposed to do.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about Hong Kong but in Australia you can have them on your lap. we went to Melbourne and i had my DS (14 months) in a sling and i put the belt around both of us. I didnt feel comfortable just havinghim on my lap.
    Email the taxi company and find out what their policies are. If it is just having them on your lap, id have them in a sling with you...mademe feel better.

Also, i can book a cab with a car seat but you pay extra and at the airport it might be a pain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No idea about over seas.

However in queensland taxi's and public transport dont require you to use a child restraint. Of course you can but you are charged from the minute thy pull up.

We do when we need to but for overseas and having to take a seat around with me would seem to be a nightmare. I would prob use other forms of child restraints. ie body carrier etc. Its definitely better then nothing however not ideal or the same.

hopefull someone can help with experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we went to Fiji we got the airport info desk to ring up and book us a taxi with a baby seat, took a while coming but was worth it for peace of mind.Some of them carry them in their carboots, took 5 minutes to fit and he did charge us for that time. No idea about Hong Kong though sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience in Hong Kong is that you don't have car seats, you just jump in. I've never seen a carseat in a taxi. Always sit in the back. Scary at first but strangely enough you just get used to it. Where are you intending to go? The bus and train system is really good too, if you don't want to use the taxis.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to butt in but does anyone know about the USA? We will traveling around with an eight month old and wasn't sure about car seats either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    Not sure about Hong Kong but in Australia you can have them on your lap. we went to Melbourne and i had my DS (14 months) in a sling and i put the belt around both of us. I didnt feel comfortable just havinghim on my lap.
    Email the taxi company and find out what their policies are. If it is just having them on your lap, id have them in a sling with you...mademe feel better.

Also, i can book a cab with a car seat but you pay extra and at the airport it might be a pain!
    I would recommend NOT putting the belt around both of you. If the car were to stop suddenly or be involved in a crash your body would squash the baby's. Put the baby in a carrier and then put the belt under the baby.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (12-03-2012),meeka2k  (12-03-2012)