+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippyma89 View Post
    My old time favioute has always been the magic faraway tree from Enid Blyton, loved it as a child and still love it... opens your mind and makes you use your inmagination.... I just love it..
    The kids and I are half way through it!

All time fave for me is Magician by Raymond E Feist - but I am a fantasy genre buff. Story of a young boy who, by fate and chance, grows to be a powerful magician, suffering the responsibility and loss that comes with power.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexta View Post
    My all time favourite series!!! My 14yo DD is now a HUGE fan. I started a thread on them a while back
    I know I usually re read them at least once a year if not more!! I missed the thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Stephen King's Dark Tower series- 7 books following the quest of Roland, the worlds last gunslinger, as he tries to find the tower to save the worlds. All the worlds. Such vivid characters set in a world much like ours, that sometimes is ours.. Just awesome.

Diana Gabaldons outlander series- time travel and historical fiction- again, awesomely vivid characters and a great yarn.

Game of Thrones series- so bleak yet so addictive!

Stephen king and Peter Straub did 2 books together- talisman and black house. Fantasy and mystery and gripping stories. Great stuff.
    8 books now!!!!!<3 Roland he is one of my idols lol

I began reading ALL the wizard of oz stories there were I think 20 or so adventures written by frank Baum and so I thought I would give wicked by Gregory Maguire a go and I fell in love with elphaba the wicked witch of the west.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of my favourites have been mentioned but my absolute favourite is a trilogy by Penny Vincenzi. The first book is called No Angel.
    It follows the life of a woman through wars, family, career etc and is just beautifully written and a lovely story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieKitten View Post
    Also if anyone could remember any good books - which are generational women
    Daughters of England series by phillipa Carr (always laugh at her name) starts in the 11th century and each book is about the next daughter. I love it, I read them every few years, took me ages to get all the books when I was younger, they were no longer being published so I bought them all second hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the books I love have been turned into movies. I'm always glad I'd read the book before it was a movie though coz the books always better.

Where the heart is - about a girl that gets left by her boyfriend at a Walmart and she lives there until she has her baby.

PS I love you - a beautiful love story

The lovely bones - about a girl that got murdered, and what it's like in her heaven, what she goes through, what she sees. And about her family dealing with her loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broomdyke View Post
    8 books now!!!!!<3 Roland he is one of my idols lol

I began reading ALL the wizard of oz stories there were I think 20 or so adventures written by frank Baum and so I thought I would give wicked by Gregory Maguire a go and I fell in love with elphaba the wicked witch of the west.
    Yes I read Wind through the Keyhole as soon as I could. Like revisiting old friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what my all time fav book would be, as different books appeal to me at different times, but I can very strongly recommended 'the book thief'. It's about a young girl's experiences in Nazi Germany and is just beautiful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't pick one, but some of my favourites:

Chekhov - The Cherry Orchard (a play, but the best one ever)

Thomas Hardy - Far From the Madding Crowd (probably my favourite book, but may be a bit slow going for some)

Lewis Carroll - Alice in Wonderland

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game (sci fi about a young boy who gets scouted to become great at what he thinks is just a war game, but turns out to be more)

Arthur C Clarke - Memoirs of a Geisha

Herman Hesse - The Glass Bead Game (beautiful and epic story)

Emily Barr - Baggage (she combines travel based writing with crime/ mystery type fiction - good escapism)

Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes (about the factors leading up to a school shooting - couldn't put this one down)

George Orwell - Animal Farm and 1984 (love them both)

Arthur Miller - The Crucible (another play)

So many more! I could keep going forever...

And in a complete departure - I love love love all the old Sweet Valley High books, Point Horror, and Christopher Pike books. Ah 1980s teen fiction... Can't beat it.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nomes83 View Post
    Pride and prejudice by Jane Austin. A well written romance novel that gives an insiders look at living in the Victorian era. Characters that you fall in love with.
    This ^^^! my sis has always thought it was to 'high brow' but we watched Bridget Jones Diary together the other night and I was pointing out ask the bits that were taken from P&P, now she says she might read it! Its just such a cool book if you can get past the language