+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1984 by George Orwell. Written when 1984 was in the distant future, where Big Brother controlled everything.

Time travellers wife. The life of a man who is an unwilling time traveller. Not sci Fi but hard to explain without spoiling

The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck is my all time favourite book. Set in pre revolutionary china and basically the life of a typical farming family. Just a beautiful book. She won the Pulitzer prize for that book and the Nobel prize.

Oh, and one hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Also hard to explain but about an isolated town in South America. He has an unusual writing style but brilliant book. He also got the Nobel prize

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love the book "little women". My copy is so torn and tatty that I need to buy another

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks guys. I'm going to be set for awhile. Poor e-reader will get a work out. A few of my favs have been mentioned!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    Hahaha! So am I! Love Harry!
    It's my birthday this weekend and my husband told me yesterday he has booked flights to Sydney, organized a babysitter and we are staying there for the week end... Wait for it... TO GO TO THE HARRY POTTER EXPO!!! Woohoo! Haha we get to see actual props and clothing ect from the movies!! I'm soooo excited! I feel like a 10 year old :-D

Daughter> 03/02/2011
    O. M. G. O. M. G. Excuse me while I go throw a tantrum!!! Hahah have an amazing time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    The Bronze Horseman by Paulina Simons. It's a love story I guess is the best way to describe it, set in Russia during the war. It's part of a trilogy of books,but the original one was the best.
    Omg my favorite too!!! If anyone can suggest similar wartime epic books if love to hear.

Also a kitchens god wife. Amy tan

Elli (can't remember author) about ww2 hailocaust survivor - lots of sadness but beautiful story of hope and courage

White gardenia (??)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also if anyone could remember any good books - which are generational women

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts (autobiography).
    It's written by an Australian guy who breaks out of a high security prison and absconds to India.
    It tells of his life, the people he meets and his adventures over there.
    It's freaking amazing.

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho... seriously, this book changed my life!!!! Anytime I feel lost or like giving in I re-read it.... I think Ive read it about 14 times now... we even had readings from it in our wedding!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to earthfairy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't narrow it down to just one but off the top of my head:

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    To Kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee
    1984 - George Orwell
    Alice's adventures in wonderland - Lewis Carroll
    Oh the places you'll go - Dr Seuss - Yeah, it's a book for kids but very relevant to adults also
    The alchemist - Paulo Coelho - I literally just read this about 2 weeks ago and it has literally changed my whole view on life, i feel like it was the guidance i really needed during a time where i feel like i have no idea what to do with my life.

Was going to write more about each book (i work backwards) but DH is calling me..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Hobbit - if you haven't already read it, it is an amazing read, I've read it several times, from when i was a pre-teen and again during my adult years, DS1 and I are currently reading it together

And then following the Hobbit - The Lord of The Rings, another amazing read.

I also love the Narnia series, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe being my favourite I also love The Horse and His Boy, these are also books I have read since I was young and still adore.

Ive just started reading A game of thrones series, I'm only on to the first book but it has amazing characters and great storylines, if your into fantasy I'd recommend this series, im really enjoying it and from the reviews I have read the books just get better!

Anything by James Patterson or Michael Robotham, they have by far the best thriller books out, so much suspense and brilliant storylines, I've got over 15 of their books I really enjoyed "Shatter" by Michael Robotham it's about a serial killer who manipulates his victom's parents into doing unthinkable and desperate acts, it's a brilliant book. "Postcard Killers" by James Patterson was also an amazing read.