+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just said flat out I want an Epi as soon as I could have one, the midwife I would visit said no and harped on about crap, so I seen the social worker at the hospital and told her that my birth wishes were not being taken seriously, the social worker called the head OB of the hospital and they discussed I should go see the anesthesiologist and after that if I still wanted it I could have it. about 2 weeks before my due date the hospital (public) sent me down to talk to the anesthesiologist about risks ect and what it involved, I signed the consent form then and he attached it to my birth plan.
    I was induced and when I got to 3cm I had a midwife I had never met before who said I should wait and see how I go, I just said no and that it was in my birth plan and I was within my rights to request one, I had spoken to a social worker and the anesthesiologist and the consent form was attached to my birth plan, I just said to her if I don't get it now I will send my husband down to talk to the social worker about what's happening, I had the Epi in 10 minutes later.

You just have to be firm and know your rights. If you have had bad reactions from peth in the past then don't get it!
    I suffer migraines and they have given my peth in the past for them and I have had little reactions so now they only give me morphine.
    Because of that I wasn't even offered peth during my labour.

I remember the anesthesiologist saying to me that we all take something for a headache so there is no problem at all in wanting to have something for when your in labour lol.
    He also said gass and peth is just like eating M&Ms when your in pain.. It doesn't do much ;-)

Daughter> 03/02/2011
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 12-03-2012 at 09:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg that's terrible.
    If you want an epi tell them to write it your notes before you give birth.
    My midwife told me denying you pain relief is illegal. They can't say no unless it might kill you.
    With my second birth it was in my notes that I will most likely request an epi.
    The OB at my 40 week appointment said I can have an epi as soon as labour is active about 4cm. He said if I know I want one I might as well have it early what's the point of going through the pain if I know I will use it.

I would have made a complaint!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What a bish!! When I went to the hospital with contractions they asked me what *I* wanted and I said an epi when I had progressed more. There no was no problems with that at all. I think, I hope you just got a dud! Get your OB to write in your record you want an epi!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    Oh I would love to hire a doula!! Unfortunately in short on $$ so that's out
    You could ask about having a student midwife. Griffith uni has a couple of students that do placement at Tweed Heads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The midwife who was at the delivery of my dd was a complete b!tch, unfortunately some just are. I won't bother getting into what she did and said to me, just subscribing to get some ideas if what to say to b!tchy, pushy midwives. If you want an epi, or anything else for that matter, I believe midwives should make sure you get it, not be nasty, not say no, just give it to you. Its your baby, your birth after all.
    Last edited by preggasaurus; 12-03-2012 at 11:10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

spitthedummy  (12-03-2012)