+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    When the dangers and consequences of drink driving are advertised so heavily, there is no way it can be deemed a careless decision. It is akin to premeditated murder. There is not a single driver on the roads who can say that they don't understand the risks of drink driving, and if there are, then they should not hold a license.
    I think it still can be, if it's a decision made when drunk. If you're drunk then you aren't thinking rationally at all.

I'll reiterate, I'm not defending drunk driving. It's not something I do, and I think it is the wrong thing to do.

However, I have known people who have done it. In some cases they were idiots who did it routinely - in which case I don't have much sympathy.

I have one friend who was booked the morning after a night out, and thought she would be okay to drive. I do have sympathy there.

I have another friend who drove drunk after an argument with a boyfriend. She was very drunk and highly emotional, and not thinking straight at all. She wasn't caught, there were no accidents, but she felt terrible about the fact that she had done it and the 'what ifs'. I do have sympathy there too.

I worked with someone who, many years ago, threw one punch that killed someone. We all know that can happen. He was drunk, emotional, and the guy he killed had been targeting him for weeks - and in this instance he snapped, with devastating consequences. I have sympathy there.

Having sympathy does not mean I think they did the right thing, nor that I don't have sympathy for the victims/ those hurt by someone's actions.

But I believe that to be human is to be imperfect. I believe in forgiveness. And I believe that someone can sometimes just massively stuff up and for it to have life-wrecking consequences for everyone involved. There are no winners in those cases, and I feel sorry for them all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Because I don't view it that way.

I am in no way condoning it, but I think that people can make stupid careless decisions (especially when drunk) that can have tragic consequences.

I honestly do feel sorry for anyone who does something that they later regret.

If that 'something' impacts on others then I feel sorry for those people too.

The only time I wouldn't feel so sorry for that person would be if they routinely did it with a 'what the hell' attitude. But even then I'd still feel bad for them if they did end up injuring or killing someone.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one though.
    You're not in the minority on this one I tend to see where you're going, not that I condone it at all, but condoning it and feeling sorry for someone who makes a tragic mistake are very different things!
    It is well known that men aged 18-25 make up a third of the road toll and reasons for this are that they have a limited ability to assess risk and for this reason make decisions which can have a terrible impact.
    You only need to look at the TAC website or google young men road toll and there is a wealth of information on the topic.

So yeah i would feel sorry for a young 18 year old or someone whose ability to judge risk is diminished not only due to alcohol consumption but also their cognitive functioning due to their gender and young age, who ruins someone else's but also their own life too. People make terrible mistakes and sometimes I feel sorry for that person.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Michael Carr Greg writes about this often, adolescents have 'significant neurological deficiencies that cause stark limitations of judgement'

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/dr-mi...-1111115079418

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well my husband's friend is not a spring chicken, he is almost 40!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well my husband's friend is not a spring chicken, he is almost 40!
    Totally understand, it was just lots of people are saying no and never and I'm just saying in the instance I'm referring to that yes I do feel sorry, for me it can be dependent on the circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    nope, no sympathy at all.

i drink, my hubby drinks (probably a lot more than most) and we have never lost our licence because if we are planning to drink, we don't drive or drink within the acceptable limits (1 drink per hour).

it's that simple....

yes, everyone makes mistakes. that's why when someone loses their licence for the FIRST time i would think 'oh, you poor stupid bugger'.
    second time - 'you stupid idiot who is selfishly putting lives at risk'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    Eleven and half years ago my then DH chose to drive drunk, wrapping himself around a tree and killing himself. Leaving behind a 3 year old to grow up without a dad and me.

He was driving my car so now I have a refused claim for drink driving on my insurance record that will never go away and I lost my $12,000 car which at was a huge financial loss in addition to everything else.

So no sympathy at all, especially for repeat offenders. Drink driving is no joke and the ramifications of it extend beyond the driver, I know as I live every day with the consequences of his dumb *** decision.

I am
    ((hugs))

I can't begin to imagine.