+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ohss

I had my checkup recently and I have about 14-15 follicles. FS is sending me for a test just to make sure I am not OHSS.

Can those who know about OHSS or who have had it themselves explain it a little for me?

I have read a lil about it, but wondering if those who have had it had any symptoms that gave them a clue? How many follicles did those with OHSS have?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had 20 eggs harvested and was fine, though my FS was worried it might happen.

Second cycle I had 13 eggs harvested and got OHSS. I had thought since I hadn't got it the first time I would be safe the second time so didn't even recognize it. All I knew was I was in a fair bit of pain and felt wrong. I drank lots of water and ate lots of protien and it cleared up, but mine was a mild case.

In severe cases your body goes out of whack and you can get pain and a lot of fluid retention. In bad cases you can end up in hospital.

I'm no expert in fertility but your egg haul doesn't seem excessive and I'm surprised you FS is worried. I know people who have had 30 harvested so don't stress too much unless your FS tells you that it's a problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Dreamin  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had about 24 follicles during my second IVF cycle. My FS and nurses at the clinic where very worried. They worried everytime I had a blood test so I'm assuming it was my hormone levels that indicated that I was on the verge of OHSS. I was instructed to drink lots of water and had to have a blood test on most days. I think you are most at risk of OHSS after transfer and so sometimes, if your hormone levels indicate you are at risk, they won't do a transfer as it's too risky for the embie. My FS wanted to hold back on embryo transfer but we didn't have any to and freeze and the one we had was pretty poor quality so we went ahead with it. I was fine, just very bloated for a long time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for reply. Made me feel calmer, I have a bad habit of letting myself get carried away and worked up over things..

I got reminded again to drink more. Am really bad with drinking alot of liquid normally. Trying to drink more not even up to 1.5L.. an they keep telling me 3L.

I haven't been eating that many things with protein recently, wonder if I should be having more protein, or if it doesn't matter that much unless they say I have OHSS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I think I was told to drink about three litres of water too. Not sure about increasing your protein - as I understand it, if you're going to get OHSS there is no way of actually stopping it. The increase in water intake is just to ease symptoms.

I may be wrong though - this is just what I was told during my second cycle.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had ohss and was in hospital for a week. I blew uP like a beach ball. Felt very uncomfortable and sick. In hospital they actually put you on fluid restriction. I had a tube inserted into my stomach to have the excess fluid drained daily. If you feel unwell, tummy expands rapidly and your weight increases, get in touch with your fs asap.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Meshell23  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had mild OHSS. I had tummy pains and I threw up. FS wasn't too concerned at the time. I just had to keep my eye on symptoms.