+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mastitis or blocked duct?

I woke up in the night with a really sore right boob. In the morning I could see an area that was red and streaky so immediately began pumping and massaging the area. I'm letting DS feed every 2 hours from that boob too

I began to feel less pain during the day but the streaky red area is still there. Do I keep pumping ( not much is coming out now) and massaging the area? I'm scared of mastitis as I live in a country town and it is difficult to see a dr ESP on a long weekend. I could call my maternity hospital where I gave birth a month ago but they are also a one hour drive away. Any advice would be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whenever this happened to me, I would keep massaging the area (being in a warm shower helped) and letting bub feed frequently and it usually resolved itself.

If you begin to feel feverish or start getting flu like symptoms, I'd head straight to your dr or hospital for antibiotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    google mastitis symptoms. you may find that it begins with flu like symptoms and once you experience these flu like sypmtoms ( sore neck, aches and pains, fatigue along with sore lumpy breast/s) u need to go to gp asap for some antibiotics.

Check bubs is latched on ok and fully draining each breast.

Otherwise take some panadol for the pain, have a warm shower and let the water run over ur boob while u massage it. Rest. Keep fluids up. Keep feeding bub's on the sore breast! expressing imo, causes more pain.

U can always phone the 24hr national breast feeding ascociation hotline for more help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with amazonbaby keep on massaging the area in the shower with the warm water, encourage bub to feed as often as possible moreso than the pumping and keeping an eye on it.

A great tip I was give once for a blocked duct, was to use an electric toothbrush (or vibrator ) on the blocked area and it really does help to dislodge the blockage. Thankfully doing all the above has always helped to resolve the block and (touch wood) in the years I have been breastfeeding I have never gotten mastitis and thankfully only a couple of blocked ducts.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mastits does not necessarily need antibiotics. Half the time inappropriate ones are prescribed and many GPs give ridiculous advice, as they often have almost no training in lactation. As long as you keep the milk moving your body will most likely fight it off. There's some interesting studies which showed that giving women with mastits friendly gut bacteria healed them quicker and more successfully than antibiotics. You can buy capsules at any pharmacy.