5 11.11%
  • No, I don't think so- changes need to be made

40 88.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,

I'm one but for mcdowall and surrounds for bipolar etc.... I have bipolar myself but also am a member of a government derected board for people with mental illness. I try my best to give informative advice and to break down streotypes about people with mental illness. Oh and I have been quiet for about a month due to horrendous morning sickness. I also do regular meet ups in chermside for mental health families and friends.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

kriista  (11-03-2012),share a book  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No i dont support it.

I notice certain members posting really bad and mostly unwanted advice,and being downright rude, then i look at the sig, and the name and realise that person is an ambassador for a parenting style i want to be involved in, it turns me off asking her/him for advice and it turns me off asking here for advice, i look elsewhere for people to help me, people who arnt against other parenting styles or 'groups'

I think its a great idea, but poorly implemented.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-03-2012),Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012),delirium  (11-03-2012),Gandalf  (11-03-2012),kalgirl  (11-03-2012),share a book  (11-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    can't agree with you more. I think it's a real worry.

When you are talking about people potentially relying on what an 'ambassador' says as an expert, I think bubhub is putting themselves in a dubious position.

If someone is calling themselves a (just for example) breastfeeding ambassador, and they give out incorrect advice - I really think that a forum user who had followed that incorrect advice could justifiably be pretty peeved at bubhub.

I have big concerns about it, if somebody is calling themselves ambassador of such and such, i want to know *why* they deserve that kind of title.
    well said!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    Hi ,

I'm one but for mcdowall and surrounds for bipolar etc.... I have bipolar myself but also am a member of a government derected board for people with mental illness. I try my best to give informative advice and to break down streotypes about people with mental illness. Oh and I have been quiet for about a month due to horrendous morning sickness. I also do regular meet ups in chermside for mental health families and friends.
    Maybe ALL the ambassadors could do an 'introduce yourself' thing similar to what the Mods do, or as above as fichicken has where new people to the forum are able to look up why an Amabassador has decided to take on the role of such.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

fichicken  (12-03-2012),kriista  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    No i dont support it.

I notice certain members posting really bad and mostly unwanted advice,and being downright rude, then i look at the sig, and the name and realise that person is an ambassador for a parenting style i want to be involved in, it turns me off asking her/him for advice and it turns me off asking here for advice, i look elsewhere for people to help me, people who arnt against other parenting styles or 'groups'

I think its a great idea, but poorly implemented.
    This another reason I assumed some were not field professionals or experts, a professional would not be rude or condescending.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an ambassador for a parenting style, Attachment Parenting, and I have put a lot of work into compiling lists of resources and info for people who might be interested and I have helped out a lot of people out via the PM system. I am definitely not a 'professional' but I am passionate about the topic so I enjoy helping others. I think it's great having ambassadors for certain parenting styles

I don't personally like the system where one nominates themselves though - there was an ambassador for a particular topic (which I won't mention) who was saying things which were very much at odds with the topic. I found it concerning.

Anyway, I would really hate to turn people off of the entire parenting style due to my outspoken opinions on certain topics and I'm worried about this now! I think I might actually step down from the role after reading this thread :-/ I want to help people but I don't want to suppress my opinions on other topics in the process.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (11-03-2012),IndigoJ  (11-03-2012),MuminMind  (11-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm an ambassador for a parenting style, Attachment Parenting, and I have put a lot of work into compiling lists of resources and info for people who might be interested and I have helped out a lot of people out via the PM system. I am definitely not a 'professional' but I am passionate about the topic so I enjoy helping others. I think it's great having ambassadors for certain parenting styles

I don't personally like the system where one nominates themselves though - there was an ambassador for a particular topic (which I won't mention) who was saying things which were very much at odds with the topic. I found it concerning.

Anyway, I would really hate to turn people off of the entire parenting style due to my outspoken opinions on certain topics and I'm worried about this now! I think I might actually step down from the role after reading this thread :-/
    i think you do a great job

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

kriista  (11-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-03-2012),Witwicky  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Anyway, I would really hate to turn people off of the entire parenting style due to my outspoken opinions on certain topics and I'm worried about this now! I think I might actually step down from the role after reading this thread :-/ I want to help people but I don't want to suppress my opinions on other topics in the process.
    Ohh this is the parenting style i wanted to know more about. PMing you now

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I disagree with the voting system. I daresay that one of our best and most knowledgable ambassadors would not have been elected if we had a voting system, as the person was very new to the hub at the time.

I think it should be up to the mods or Hillary.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (12-03-2012),fichicken  (12-03-2012),Gothel  (11-03-2012),kriista  (11-03-2012),share a book  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MuminMind View Post
    I am a BH ambassador (as you can see) but I certainly agree with a lot of the sentiments and concerns that have been raised in this thread. There is a huge risk that misinformation and ethical dilemmas arise from being an ambassador.

It is a fairly new initiative and although an ambassador role description is being developed, the current roles and responsibilities are not clear -Particularly to those who are not ambassadors. And although it has never been claimed that ambassadors hold professional expertise in the area, I can see how this is assumed. And even in situations where ambassadors have formal training, we have to be mindful of how we act in that capacity.

I think that being ambassadors for various geographical areas is a positive and "harmless" initiative, but I acknowledge that being a self-appointed ambassador for a special interest potentially can be damaging.

Regardless of being an ambassador or not, I will continue to be involved in mental health discussions, support and education on this forum. And while doing so, I will continue to stress that the forum does not substitute professional advice. Ambassadors should encourage members to seek professional expertise IRL, and research local support services, so that members are pointed in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by fichicken View Post
    Hi ,

Maybe we can have a sticky thread for explanations like these. Just a thought.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

kriista  (11-03-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast