• No, I don't think so- changes need to be made

40 88.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I haven't noticed any ambassadors and have no idea what your talking about?? Lol that's how much notice I take :/
    Do you post from your phone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I came back to bubhub after being gone for ages, in my absence the ambassador thing was implemented.... I assumed that the ambassadors had been selected on some kind of criteria... When I found out that they were just self-nominated, I found it quite irritating. Frankly, I don't really find it endearing to have someone put their hand up as an expert (and that's what htey are doing, no matter how you say it) without any basis.

If someone is ambassador for attachment parenting, for example, I naturally assume that they know what attachment parenting is and are keen to promote attachment parenting from some kind of experienced, understanding and knowledgeable basis. To find otherwise is irritating and confusing.

Same for anything else. I just find it confusing and misleading.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing to stop someone (for example) nominating themselves as a breastfeeding ambassador and then going into the bottlefeeding section to talk about how breastfeeding sux. or calling themselves the sahm ambassador when they are in fact employed fulltime and have no children.
    I have to agree with this!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After having not posted on Bubhub for ages, I came back on and noticed the 'Thanks' feature as well as the 'Ambassador' features being implemented. With the ambassador title I naturally assumed they had some type of expertise in what they were an ambassador for or at the very least had been voted in.

It is only NOW/TODAY that I have been enlightened to the fact that the Ambassadors were 'self appointed', but then again, now that I *think* about it, I did notice a few 'joke' ambassadors around too, as in, people saying they were the ambassador of (insert something silly here) so started to take the whole ambassador thing thing with a grain of salt and one of being a 'pseudo' or wannabe Mod. (I don't mean to offend those that are currently ambassadors).

Anyway, I think it's a good idea that has just been poorly executed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whether they are expert or representative, the problem is that it is entirely self-assessing and if the person actually has no clue what they are on about, it is misleading to forum users.

I always wanted to be an astronaut, but is it fair for me to call myself ambassador for NASA?

Personally I think not, but there's certainly nothing to stop me from doing so.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonky Donkey View Post
    Do you post from your phone?
    Yeah

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Whether they are expert or representative, the problem is that it is entirely self-assessing and if the person actually has no clue what they are on about, it is misleading to forum users.

I always wanted to be an astronaut, but is it fair for me to call myself ambassador for NASA?

Personally I think not, but there's certainly nothing to stop me from doing so.

Agree especially with the bolded part,and tbh it has worried me before this thread even started. How do we assess if the bfing ambassador is actually giving suitable advice. A formula feeding am. may have fed their first child with formula but breast the others and has a hard stance on ffing. So yes, she has experience but is she really the best candidate to support ffer's? probably not. I technically bf both my kids... but my experience is limited so while I bf I wouldn't be a good bfing ambassador...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Or when people want to organise a local met up... Then realise who their local ambassador is... Awks : /

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would also think that being an ambassador would mean that they would have diplomacy when posting especially when they are commenting on something which is not aligned with their personal or parenting politics. Some ambassadors seem to post and attack when the thread is 'against' their beliefs. Makes them more a zealot than an ambassador...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012),delirium  (11-03-2012),Eko  (11-03-2012),kalgirl  (11-03-2012),share a book  (11-03-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a BH ambassador (as you can see) but I certainly agree with a lot of the sentiments and concerns that have been raised in this thread. There is a huge risk that misinformation and ethical dilemmas arise from being an ambassador.

It is a fairly new initiative and although an ambassador role description is being developed, the current roles and responsibilities are not clear -Particularly to those who are not ambassadors. And although it has never been claimed that ambassadors hold professional expertise in the area, I can see how this is assumed. And even in situations where ambassadors have formal training, we have to be mindful of how we act in that capacity.

I think that being ambassadors for various geographical areas is a positive and "harmless" initiative, but I acknowledge that being a self-appointed ambassador for a special interest potentially can be damaging.

Regardless of being an ambassador or not, I will continue to be involved in mental health discussions, support and education on this forum. And while doing so, I will continue to stress that the forum does not substitute professional advice. Ambassadors should encourage members to seek professional expertise IRL, and research local support services, so that members are pointed in the right direction.
    Last edited by MuminMind; 11-03-2012 at 16:28.

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (12-03-2012),Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012),delirium  (11-03-2012),Eko  (11-03-2012),Gothel  (11-03-2012),kriista  (11-03-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-03-2012),Lucy in the Sky  (11-03-2012),MamaC  (11-03-2012),MissMuppet  (11-03-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (11-03-2012),share a book  (11-03-2012),Shoopuf  (11-03-2012),SPC  (11-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-03-2012),Witwicky  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    TBH,I don't even really pay attention to the green names.
    I am kinda over all the early parenting advice I needed when I first came to the hub,so don't really use it for parenting advice anymore now my kids are older.
    And the Gold Coast section is sooooo damn quiet,meetups hardly get organised.
    Having said that,I think there should have been more thought and organisation put into the whole thing!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast