• Yes, I think so

5 11.11%
  • No, I don't think so- changes need to be made

40 88.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't really take a lot of notice of who is an ambassador for what, as I haven't done any meet ups, and tend to post generally rather than in just one section.

I can see what people are saying about the potential for dodgy advice, but I think a 'voting' or nomination system might mean that it's only the more regular posters (the ones that post frequently enough for everyone to have heard of) that will get voted in.

I'm not sure what the system should be but, speaking purely from a personal point of view, I don't really mind whether there are ambassadors or not. I appreciate some people might like them/ find it useful though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's pretty dodgy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

naebie  (11-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Frankly I see the 'ambassador' role as broken regardless. Someone who just walks into the forum and sees that a person is an 'ambassador'. They instantly (and fairly) assume that this person is some kind of trained professional with formal training backed up by experience.
    Not so.
    A lot of people who may even be absolute experience monsters with bfing because they've bf 12 kids and have helped many many women with bfing issues is not still not a qualified expert, and calling them 'ambassadors' is misleading.

If you're going to give someone an official sounding title, you should ensure that they have official training and qualifications. Especially when it comes to large issues like depression etc.

I think it would be far better to change the titles of those who have personal experience to "Go-to-girl" or "Go-to-guy", just something not as official sounding. That's what people have been called in every workplace that I've been in when they're very experienced and likely know the answer, but aren't qualified.

I understand that a lot of people might not see it that way but when I came in that's what I thought until I worked out that it was really just an arbitrary title based on whoever volunteered.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (11-03-2012),Mezmerised  (11-03-2012),naebie  (11-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Then maybe it comes down to definition. To me, Ambassador means someone who supports, promotes, is passtionate about, and provides information on certain topics, usually with personal experience.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I find it hilarious. Maybe we could all be ambassadors, just to be fair? I'm sure we all have our areas of expertise.

I could be ambassador for travelling with children on public transport. If somebody could point me in the direction of the ambassador for good bars in Melbourne, I'd appreciate it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Eko  (11-03-2012),Janesmum123  (11-03-2012),naebie  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Then maybe it comes down to definition. To me, Ambassador means someone who supports, promotes, is passtionate about, and provides information on certain topics, usually with personal experience.
    I'm fairly new here and this is what I thought too, I figured if they had some qualifications then it would have been stated on their signature...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Personally I find it hilarious. Maybe we could all be ambassadors, just to be fair? I'm sure we all have our areas of expertise.

I could be ambassador for travelling with children on public transport. If somebody could point me in the direction of the ambassador for good bars in Melbourne, I'd appreciate it.
    Pmsl, I want to be ambassador of the adult only section... Oh that would be fun.

Seriously tho it would most likely just turn into a popularity contest.

Really even if you are an ambassador of this or that it doesnt mean you are an expert. This is the Internet people ask advice from strangers you need to filter through it, take things with a grain of salt. Doesn't matter even if they have 10 yrs experience because at the end of the day it's their experience not yours.
    For any serious issues you should be asking a doctor not an ambassador on bubhub.

Guest Guest
    I haven't noticed any ambassadors and have no idea what your talking about?? Lol that's how much notice I take :/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I came back to bubhub after being gone for ages, in my absence the ambassador thing was implemented.... I assumed that the ambassadors had been selected on some kind of criteria... When I found out that they were just self-nominated, I found it quite irritating. Frankly, I don't really find it endearing to have someone put their hand up as an expert (and that's what htey are doing, no matter how you say it) without any basis.

If someone is ambassador for attachment parenting, for example, I naturally assume that they know what attachment parenting is and are keen to promote attachment parenting from some kind of experienced, understanding and knowledgeable basis. To find otherwise is irritating and confusing.

Same for anything else. I just find it confusing and misleading.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely nothing to stop someone (for example) nominating themselves as a breastfeeding ambassador and then going into the bottlefeeding section to talk about how breastfeeding sux. or calling themselves the sahm ambassador when they are in fact employed fulltime and have no children.

Just want to point out strongly that I am not wanting to take anything away from those ambassadors who are genuine and do a great job!

I guess my issue is that the ambassador role reflects on bubhub, and when you have the odd ambassador who basically seems a bit flakey, it reflects on bubhub as a whole.

I don't know what bubhub is trying to achieve, it seems like an el cheapo way to have 'experts' on the forum, but unfortunately it's misleading to forum members and in all honesty I'd be checkng your professional indemntiy policies about if you're covered when you appoint people into what seem to be expert roles without them having any credentials whatsoever.
    Last edited by Chew the Mintie; 11-03-2012 at 15:36.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-03-2012),naebie  (11-03-2012)