+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 8 year old needs 2 teeth pulled, possibly braces

My 8 year old has 2 too many teeth at the top, like new ones have come down but baby teeth have not come out, not loose or anything so they have to come out.

Because of her special needs, it was decided she needs to have it done under GA.

I have also told she may need braces because her teeth were pushed in different directions with extras in her mouth. They were always perfectly straight, and might go back how they were but if not she will need braces. They said they eill give them 2 years to allow for other baby teeth to come out, which puts her at roughly 11 (she's nearly 9).

Anyone had experience with this? What was it like? Also how much are braces??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've experienced everything you mentioned apart from having to have them removed under GA.
    Too many teeth for my mouth and had so many teeth removed I can't count. The over crowding in my mouth did cause my teeth to be crooked and uneven. I had braces for a couple of years and my teeth were pretty perfect when they came off, until I go my wisdom teeth. They aren't too bad now, they look normal, not too straight and not crooked either.
    I don't know how much braces cost though, but it wasn't cheap from memory (my parents paid coz I was still a child).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. She is pretty positive about it. She wants rainbow braces if she has to have them. They booked her in for next month to give them time to become loose on their own, but they seem pretty firm. Lucky it's only 2 for us hey, one on each side at the top, towards the back.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,

Our eldest had her top four teeth removed because they were too small for the adult teeth coming through. She had the adult tooth come through behind the baby tooth and it was over twice the size of the tooth it was replacing!

She had a GA when she was six and he removed her top four and did moulds of her mouth while she was under, as well as coated her molars that had come through because the crowns were quite deep and may be more prone to decay.

After her mouth had healed she had a spreader device installed to widen her top jaw to make way for the new adult teeth and hopeully take away the need for braces later on. The one adult front tooth that was already through behind the baby teeth came forward on it's own and now all the teeth have came through and look great. I think our second DD will need the same procedure but doubt she'll handle it as well as DD1.

So not exactly what you're looking at having done but kinda similar with the extraction and such. From memory it was just over $3,000 for all visits and devices. She had the device in for 9mths and we only had to wind it for the first week and for a second week at the three month point.

Good luck!

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump. Anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My 8 year old has 2 too many teeth at the top, like new ones have come down but baby teeth have not come out, not loose or anything so they have to come out.

Because of her special needs, it was decided she needs to have it done under GA.

I have also told she may need braces because her teeth were pushed in different directions with extras in her mouth. They were always perfectly straight, and might go back how they were but if not she will need braces. They said they eill give them 2 years to allow for other baby teeth to come out, which puts her at roughly 11 (she's nearly 9).

Anyone had experience with this? What was it like? Also how much are braces??
    I assume you are going through the north ward clinic.

This has been my experience with them.

She need two teeth pulled, north ward said no she had 4 weeks to wiggle them out herself, but had to go to kirwan for a clean before the mould. they took pity on her and pulled them for her. (she is only mild so that was a problem to do there and then.)

She has to wear two plates for 18mths before she can have the braces. They (north ward) were good for her and didn't complain when vomited all over them while doing the moulds. She was set down to get the plates while I was away and they wouldn't delay the app for me to be there. The top plate broke (the solder came undone) i had to have her the next day and we were given back in 3 days.

As for cost - NIL they do it for free. we were told that the plates were worth a few thousand so to be very careful with them.

You can ask me anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was through the school one, then referred to Kirwan then over to her Paed, then through to the hospital lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It was through the school one, then referred to Kirwan then over to her Paed, then through to the hospital lol.
    Ok when it comes to get the braces they will send you over to north ward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    After responding to this thread, I realised my sister had bad crowding in her mouth, and being special needs had to be put under general to remove some teeth. She also required braces, which were removed last year. Unfortunately I can't tell you the results as I haven't seen my sister for over a year, but I assume that because the braces were taken off her teeth must have been straight enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, at the moment it is not bad, but they won't know yet. She has 2 other teeth coming through (the ones next to the 2 at front teeth) and they won't know for a luttle while if they have been affected or not. This will be her second GA I have never been under but my baby has to go under for the second time