+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cert 3 in aged care

Has or is anyone studying this course? I'm looking into studying this from home and wanted any recommendations of a good online study place since there is so many!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldnt read and run.. I dont know who you can go through online but i just wanted to say that working in aged care is an awesome job.

I done my cert 3 through a traineeship i didnt pay anything and it was suited to what hours i wanted to work. There is a huge stigma around trainee wages but as a mature age trainee you get the award wage and not under.

With the aged care cert you can also work in the community which is my love..

Good luck

Hugs

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    TAFE.

One of my co-workers has just completed her Cert IV in Aged Care all online/correspondence and work placements, all organised through TAFE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there..I worked in aged care for 4 years I did a traineeship also. I would def recommend doing something where you get to do hands on prac. I worked in a nursing home and we too often got people who had studied at TAFE (no prac when done at TAFE apparently) and a lot of them found that it wasnt what they expected and couldnt handle it. That being said it is a great field to work in and there is a lot of options available once you have that cert.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am currently studying this and doing all my theory work first and start placement at a high care ACF in 2wks time. I tried to study through tafe part time once a week for 3hrs in class but found it really hard to do at home with my son. Where i am currently studying the govt is paying for it.

Its a really interesting field to go in and i am aiming to work with dementia residents and then eventually do home care when i have a license hopefully by end of next year.

Tafe is the only place i can think of unless you can find a class to do it in as i am finding it much easier to.do it over the coarse of 4mths instead of a year.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a few online places I've seen, can't go to tafe don't like classrooms lol. With the online cert it does say 40-120 hrs " work experience" required as well. I've read it's government funded but can't find where.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am meant to do 90 hrs in my placement but i am going to do more so i can build up confidence. If its really low hours like 40 that wont get you much chance to find out as much as you can with getting as mich experience as you can.

Where are you located? I am in a class of 20 total and our teachers are all experienced all throughout the AC different sectors. We have done manual handling in class which we will have to do on prac plus we get our first aid done as well.

Also you will need to organise a police check to be able to do your placement unless its only qld that do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Melbourne. Yep need police checks here too so will get that soonish. Need to do most from home to work around the 2 yr old

Thanks
    Reviews
    They take about a month to get back in qld. Not sure in mel though.
    Good luck with it all though. Hope you find where you can do it from home if you can.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in disability support, and very lucky to work for an organisation that wants to put all of it's workers through training. Work puts us all through a community care certificate. Apparently that offers a broader range of options after completing as it covers disability and aged care, and a few other things as well, just can't remember.
    No advice on were to go for training, just thought that you might find that information useful. Caring is an awesome and very fulfilling position to hold, and I hope you find that it suits you.