+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Desperate help needed!!

Please can someone tell me how to get our puppy to stop biting!! She really hurts and it doesn't matter what we do she is not improving, if anything she is getting worse!.

Our normal method of "punishment" is to up and leave her when she bites (well she never doesn't bite EVER). We have built a massive inclosure within our backyard because her biting has become so bad that we can't have her in the house (other then bed time). So when she bites we put her in there. We have for her 2 knong balls, she gets bones every day, She gets walked twice a day also 1 big game of fetch everyday before bed.

Please help!! I want her to be able to come inside when ever she wants and not have to worry about her tackling DD and biting her non stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I feel like a bad parent posting this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What sort of dog and how old? Has puppy finished teething?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this might sound strange, we had this problem with our puppy too. She used to bite allll the time and their teeth are so sharp when they are little. We were told at puppy school to yelp every time she bit us. Our house must have sounded quite strange to the neighbors! Eventually she got softer and softer until she was just licking. We were told they don't really understand those kind of punishments or you getting angry. When in their litter with their mum, if they get too rough they would yelp, and that's how they learn. As I said sounds strange but it worked for us.
    Last edited by Ruthie12; 11-03-2012 at 07:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is still only a baby, 12 weeks. She is a labrador. DH keeps saying she will grow out of it but I hate that I can't let her come in anymore other then for short periods or he used me and DD as a chew toy! I feel so horrible that she is outside during the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bec. We have tried to make her realise she is at the bottom of the pack she is fantastic with everything including walking and heeling. Biting is our downfall. We were told to never yell or smack in any form? It's so confusing!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely agree with previous post, you have to establish you're boss. Eat before you feed her, make her sit and you walk through doors/gates before her etc... We found it was best to only have one trainer too, that person becomes the leader. We really found taking our pup to puppy school very helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The nose is the most sensitive part of your dog. Smacking the nose will just increase the biting. If you ever tune into Cesar Milan (dog whisperer) he never smacks. It's not a natural form of punishment for the dog. He says that when puppies are disciplined by their mummy dog she will give a gentle bite in the neck area. He recommends you use two fingers to quickly give a firm touch there to imitate what the mother dog will do. If you go on his website you can read about it. Smacking a dog?? No I don't think so. Also remember your dog is a puppy... You need to train now and they chew and bite. I do the quick touch on the neck with my dog and she responds and doesn't continue. Check out some of the episodes online or something. He's very informative about what to do with your dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please don't hit her, it is not necessary. We have a golden retriever and they tend to be very mouthy puppies. It hurts doesn't it? I remember our girl latching onto my clothes and legs and not letting go, it was awful. But, as your husband said, they grow out if it - in the meantime, ignore ( I used to stand really really still or, if it hurt to much and she was really hyper, go inside), yelp as a PP suggested, and redirect to a chew toy. Unfortunately it might take a while and is going to be one of the challenges of having a puppy. Definitely a puppy preschool - most now use positive techniques rather than fear based ones such as hitting.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a labrador as well. Went through a very similar thing with her. What we found worked was to yelp/growl if it hurt. And then if she came back again we did the pinch on the neck. If that didn't work it was straight outside by herself. It took time and a lot of patience but she was a baby who needed to learn this was not ok behavior. Please don't smack your puppy. Even lightly. So much physical and emotional damage can be done.

And just to add, my lab is almost 4 now and she is the most amazing dog. All that hard work is so worth it in the long run!