+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default mini vent.

For a while now, dh and I have been deciding between Catholic private and public schools for our kids... out of nowhere, my SIL rings me up to say"""my dh and I have been discussing this ...""... and proceeded to say that Catholic Schooling is nothing but brainwashing. (dh is a Catholic and went to Catholic school.. where as I am not catholic.. I went to a public school). (mind u, her kids go to a catholic school, and what's more, she's happy with it!!). so i don't know what her point is exactly, but she went on to say that seeing as I am not Catholic myself, it's not fair on my family to send the kids to a Catholic school. Then when I told my MIL this conversation - she got really angry and said "'well funny she said that, because she was telling me, that if you don't send your kids to a private school, they will be of no class."". How annoying. Firstly, nobody asked SIL her or her dh opinion.. secondly, my family don't care where we send the kids to school... and lastly, (dh can't really say much about the ''brainwashing"" comment as he didn't really pay much attention at school. lol. he said he can't reacall any brainwashing.. ) so question is :; is there THAT MUCH religious activities going on at Catholic school??

I am aware they will be doing mass etc, & you are to be baptised and have communion and confirmation etc... but is it to the point what she says it is?? We aren't super religious, yet are looking for what is the best school facilities, subjects & environment wise for our kids..
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 10-03-2012 at 13:53.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love families and their politics.

There is some religion as part of the daily school routine at most Catholuc schools. You do RE a few times a week, have mass once a week usually, often a daily prayer and that's it. I went to Catholic and non-Catholic schools. I never felt more or less brainwashed in either system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't say they brain wash at all but after doing prac at various catholic schools it is a huge part of the day.

prayer to start the day and before each meal time, mass weekly and litergys, 2 prayer assemblies a week and a lot of the school work is based around religion as well as designated. RE lessons few times a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If your kids aren't baptised they won't be forced to be. Same with confirmation & communion. You may not get them into the school with out being baptised but they can not for e it once you're in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPowering View Post
    I wouldn't say they brain wash at all but after doing prac at various catholic schools it is a huge part of the day.

prayer to start the day and before each meal time, mass weekly and litergys, 2 prayer assemblies a week and a lot of the school work is based around religion as well as designated. RE lessons few times a week
    This may have been the case at the school you were at but it's certainly not what happens at our kids catholic school!

They have daily prayer in the morning, normally accompanied by some sort of song and assemblies once a fortnight - these are like normal public school assemblies not heavily based on religion or prayer and they only have mass once a term.

So certainly nowhere near as much as at the school your describing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    This may have been the case at the school you were at but it's certainly not what happens at our kids catholic school!

They have daily prayer in the morning, normally accompanied by some sort of song and assemblies once a fortnight - these are like normal public school assemblies not heavily based on religion or prayer and they only have mass once a term.

So certainly nowhere near as much as at the school your describing!!
    hmmm interesting... thanks ladies.... i would have thought all catholic schools pretty much were the same routine..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not a Catholic yet I went to Catholic schools. Im pretty sure there is no 'brain washing' involved. They have had a few RE lessons a week (from memory was like 3 lessons). They taught us all different forms of Christianity through out primary and secondary.

We had a morning prayer but personally never paid to much attention to that. I don't see prayer as brain washing nor learning and understanding a religion brain washing at all.

Personally I am sending my kids to public but thats out of purely cost more then Religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to catholic schools both primary and secondary, am catholic. We did not pray daily and nothing was forced on us. There were many non catholic kids who did other activities when we attended sacraments etc. As a family we went to mass weekly, as a school it was twice a term plus religious events. I never felt brainwashed, it was all routine, RE just another subject. My kids arent baptised and years off school age but im not convinced the $s spent means a better education.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Janedoe I've done prac at 4 different catholic schools and all have been similar - prayers before every meal definintly. only thing was change was how often assmeblies and masses were. but religion was definintly a huge factor in the classroom