+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you do with treating worms?

Hello!

As the title says, what do you do when it comes to treating worms?? How often do you do it??

I don't ever recall treating our family for worms. I have never seen any obvious signs. My oldest has just started school and the oldest 2 are really irritable. I am sure that it's mostly due to tiredness and change of routine, but thought I would worm them to see if there's any improvement.

Speaking to the Chemist this morning, he told me that I should be treating the whole family every 6 months and that I need to iron all sheets and underwear as the sun is not enough to kill them if we have them. Growing up, I am sure mum and dad only treated us either yearly or every second year and just did all our sheets and vacuum/mop. This is what I am doing today, but the thought of ironing all our sheets and underwear to the mix, I am thinking wtf??

So, what have you heard or do you do???

What a fun Saturday we have in this beautiful weather....NOT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Growing up we were always dosed every 6mths for worms. I now dose my DH regularly as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every 6 months here I wash the sheets in 90 degrees instead of ironing ( only cause I can do that temp in washing machine)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, will have to start doing every 6 months. He also said that 1 in 10 people would have worms. Eeewwwww! lol

I don't think I am going to iron the sheets or undies.

Thank you for your replies...

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm afraid your pharmacist is wildly misinformed! In fact the medical profession do NOT recommend treating every 6 months due to the risk of building up resistance to the medication. You should only treat when someone in the family has symptoms or has been exposed to someone who has confirmed worms. And when you do treat, washing and drying bedding and pyjamas is enough, you don't need to iron them

http://www.nationalpharmacies.com.au/library/Threadworms_Oct2011_V2.pdf
    Last edited by swizzlestick; 10-03-2012 at 18:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I recently asked our pharmacist about worming my DD and was told that it isn't recommended unless she has symptoms. He said i shouldnt do it "just in case". She is almost two, so don't know if that applies with older kids/adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I try and do the family every 6-12 months. Dd is a toddler very into the genital exploration stage. She is also toilet trained and her hands all over public toilets grosses me out. She constantly has her hands in her nose. My brother is a typically grubby boy and if you don't remind him will try and eat dinner with dirt black hands and no utensils. I also work in long day care where I watch kids all day with their hands down their pants or up their noses and even though you get them to wash their hands. You don't see every one of them for ever minute of the day so realistic while I direct a child in to wash hands there is another picking their nose that I didnt see.
    I never considered ironing sheets or undies. I don't wash in hot water either. Sheets and clothes are just washed regularly in and they dry in the sun or dryer in the rainy weather

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The problem with pinworm is that it is easily contractable thus making it difficult to know who has a confirmed case unless they are a friend or family member. A lot of schools send home letters once a year reminding parents to be vigilant on this kind of thing because it passes around classrooms so easily and TBH who is going to admit that they have them (I know I certainly wouldn't be freely sharing the info around if anyone here had it!) Symptoms can be as simple as loss of appetite or unusual irritability/ poor behaviour.

I know a lot of people use the stickytape method. Sticky tape is placed over the rectum before bed and checked in the morning. Me I am happy just to do a worming every now and then. Ultimately they don't pose too much harm, they are mostly just annoying and ick.
    Yeah agree all the at home test to check for worms are just ick