+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a friend of a friend on fb try and compare feeding in public to him sucking on his girlfriends boob in public as the two being the same *bangs head* and he also said women who bf'd in public knowing it could offend others were "f@$king rude"...... I had to just take a deep breath and walk away from that one cos it was just too much stupidity for my liking... Moron *rolls eyes*

I bf in public and no I don't cover up but I do it in a discreet enough way that I'm not flashing boob at anyone, I don't bother thinking "ooh I hope I don't offend anyone" cos quite frankly I couldn't care less if I do, my first and ONLY priority is that my babe gets fed. End of story

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MegaGuts For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    Its polite to use a sash or something? I dont want to see this while "sipping my latte"

lol please...

How many hours sleep had you had the night before you started "sipping your latte"

How many things are you carrying/juggling

How many newborns are urgently crying for a feed from you now, days after labour and birth, making your chest feel tight with stress while you try to fumble everything you're doing and find somewhere comfotable to feed them? How many people are already staring you down just for being in the position you are with a baby trying to give him/her a healthy start to life?

If you're so spoilt

that a stressed out mother who is just trying to feed her bub quickly and efficiently without having to; on top of everything else adjust a sash around her shoulders that

constantly falls off,
    overheats her baby and herself,
    and makes it almost impossible to see what she is doing and get a good attachment

is wrecking YOUR day, or moment of great effort, "sipping your latte"

Suck it up.

If you feel uncomfortable, or confronted by a boob, thats fine, but seriously, just look away or focus on your coffee for a moment. No mum is out there feeding her bub to inconvenience you. Its disgraceful that mothers who breastfeed are ridiculed when they try to do it. There is enough on their plates and enough sleep deprivation, ridicule and stress without having to add a silly sash to the mix. These mothers are often already struggling with attachment problems and feeling judged/upset/beaten down as it is!

I dont usually go so on side/off side, but this really gets to me..

No wonder there is PND.. No matter what a mother tries to do right, no matter how much pressure and stress she is already under, there is still always people out there dealing with NONE of the responsibility or troubles she is, deciding they no better or that she is doing SOMETHING wrong.

seriously.. lay off the boobie mums.
    Excellent rant, however, i'd still prefer not to see boobs out when im having my coffee. But meh, its just my preference, what do I know about your situation? Nothing, and neither does anyone else who may be sat there wishing you would cover up a tad. On a scale of 1-10, I care less than a 4 so its not like im out there in the cafes with a loudspeaker causing riots about it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    How about this example: bubhub has alerted me to the fact that some people are uncomfortable with the presence of men in parents rooms. Should they take a softly softly approach or have the attitude that it is my legal right, therefore I will use it.

I don't think I've ever known nor seen a woman deliberately leaving a breast out (have seen it ONCE and it was obviously accidental) after breastfeeding but if she had there is nothing illegal nor immoral about a feeding baby and I don't think waiting for society to catch up THEN feed without a blanket will work. If that's how society worked I doubt we, as women, would even be voting.
    No. I'm not saying that people should avoid doing something at all because others may be uncomfortable. There will always be people who feel uncomfortable about something, as you quite rightly have said.

I agree there is nothing illegal or immoral about feeding a baby. I also said that I don't think a woman should have to use a blanket - I think that really is up to them.

My only point was about being considerate of others around us - that's all.

I have a nasty suspicion that some people (not you, Benji) have misconstrued what I was trying to say, and perhaps I have not explained it well.

People will, of course, do whatever they want to do. I'm by no means perfect, but I try (and want) to act in a way where I'll consider the people around me.

Would I breastfeed in public? Yes, have done.
    Would I use a wrap? Sometimes. Sometimes not.
    Would I NOT breastfeed if I thought a random stranger might be upset by it? No! I would still feed my baby.
    Would I care if my baby/ wrap moved and flashed someone? Probably not.
    Would I be in a shopping mall/ cafe with a breast out 'drying'? No.
    Would I get a breast out to feed, and then attach the baby a few moments later (in a public place)? No.
    Would I take the baby off and avoid covering up for a few moments? No.
    Would I sit there with a breast out, saying that if people don't like it then it sucks to be them? No.

And, as I said earlier, the vast majority of women don't do any of the latter things. I have known some who have, that's all.

I don't know what happened in the OP's post, but it sounded like people were generally down on public breastfeeding, which is not nice.

Kiplusthree - I'm not sure who your post was aimed at (me?), but I haven't really noticed anyone in this thread getting angry or being rude about people breastfeeding in public.

I'm obviously explaining myself badly, as people are thinking I'm saying breastfeeding mothers should cover up/ not do it. That's not what I'm saying at all. I was just after peace, tolerance, and niceness for all, that's all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGuts View Post
    I had a friend of a friend on fb try and compare feeding in public to him sucking on his girlfriends boob in public as the two being the same *bangs head*

'Bitty?'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent a bit of time living in North-East Arnhem land in the Northern Territory, and the Aboriginal people there put no sexual connotation on breasts whatsoever, so you would regularly see women walking around the supermarket with a toddler on hip (no stigma about feeding toddlers either) with a long saggy breast between the childs hands having a suckle. There was no shame or embarrassment, few of the women wore a bra (they didnt care if their breast were no longer perky, since it was purely a child feeding device) and I think it was delightful to see. Just a baby taking the nutrition it needs from it mother. Simple. There really shouldn't be much more thought given to it than that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-03-2012),Annabella  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post

I'm obviously explaining myself badly, as people are thinking I'm saying breastfeeding mothers should cover up/ not do it. That's not what I'm saying at all. I was just after peace, tolerance, and niceness for all, that's all.
    You explained yourself perfectly well And I agree with everything you said, you put it much better than I did.
    Last edited by GothChick; 10-03-2012 at 16:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (10-03-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well said Kip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How ridiculous. How could anyone be offended by seeing a beautiful baby (or toddler) bonding with their mumma and having a delicious, nutritious meal?

I reckon a lot of these people who are "offended" by it, need to stop thinking about it as a woman breastfeeding and more as a baby eating. The baby is eating. They have the right to eat when they are hungry. If this happens to be when mum is paying at a checkout then so be it. The end.

That saggy, 'thumb'-nippled breast is the most beautiful, perfect breast in the world to that little baby. It's nourishing a new life.

Anyway, I'm really glad that we are in a position that this debate can be possible. 50 yrs ago this would never have happened so we are progressing in just a few generations. Our adult children will hopefully find it insanely hilarious that any of this was ever an issue.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

MegaGuts  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why do u think women have breasts?? To breast-feed.

It's like ppl forget what their purpose is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2MissA View Post
    Why do u think women have breasts?? To breast-feed.

It's like ppl forget what their purpose is
    I think people do forget, but I also think it's understandable.

If you've never fed a child, or never seen someone feed a child, or never plan to feed a child that way then they just don't have that association. And they are only used to feed for a very small % of someone's lifetime, so again that association is most active when it is your own breasts, and you are feeding/ planning to feed.