+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    I get that sometimes you have to feed whenever wherever you are,and that somewhere along the line someone is possibly going to get a nipple flash as you attach babe...but its not that difficult to just drape a sash over ones shoulder afterwards.
    I actually found it really hard to have a drape around while feeding, it would always seem to fall off or not cover properly and I was always batteling with it. It was more hassle than it was worth.
    Honestly, those first few weeks I didn't care about anything except feeding her, I was always out and I had no choice but to walk and feed and basically feed wherever I was, she was attached 24/7. I even went to see a bubhub friend in hospy and she can varify the baby was attached to my boob the whole time!!!! I'm not exagerating

I just don't care about what people think, my job wasn't to be considerate at this time, my job was to feed my baby, I was trying to establish breastfeeding and her needs were way more important then abit of nipple flash. I mean c'mon it's really not a big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just asked my DH his opinion on public breast feeding and wish I never did . I told him that it's what I'll be doing, I don't think he is particularly happy... He'll just have to get used to it!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummiemummy View Post
    I just asked my DH his opinion on public breast feeding and wish I never did . I told him that it's what I'll be doing, I don't think he is particularly happy... He'll just have to get used to it!
    When he's holding his screaming hungry baby in public he'll be pulling it out for ya

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (10-03-2012),lulululu  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012),threechooks  (12-03-2012),Whitman  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    When he's holding his screaming hungry baby in public he'll be pulling it out for ya
    Agreed. Honestly, how would all those "yukky, she flashed some booby" people feel if they had to eat with a blanket over their heads?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    theres been times when ive fed dd, and i was STILL showing less t&a than any other female around me.
    and im currently an Ecup (was a 14D before kids, and a 10C aged 8years old) and used to run crosscountry, so my boobs were floppy before i eever used them.
    yay for boob lifts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I think I might be setting myself up to be shot down in flames here, but (deep breath)..

I think that unless you are a parent, (perhaps even of a younger child), then it is not unusual to see breasts in a s*xual way rather than in a child related way.

Prior to being pregnant with DD I saw them that way. I had only seen 1 person breastfeeding on one occasion. Other than that I had seen a million images of breasts in a s*xual way. Now that I have a toddler and am surrounded by people with babies, I see it all the time, and the association has changed.

I'm not saying that it's right, but I don't think it's necessarily terrible either. They are there to feed your child, but they are also something that attracts a partner, and for the majority of our lives we don't use them to feed children (sometimes never).

I think that women should be able to feed their kids in public, without feeling uncomfortable.

However, I also think that seeing a breast is not something most people expect when at the supermarket (for example), and people without children may have that initial reaction of it being a body part that they normally associate with s*x.

I think that tolerance and understanding needs to go both ways. Someone earlier mentioned that no breastfeeding woman deliberately shows her breasts. Well, that's not true. I accept that most try to do it in a discreet way, but I have known a couple of women who have been very comfortable with having it all out before/ after attaching the baby (in public), and I think that this can make other people feel uncomfortable.

And for those who say 'So what? That's their problem' - well, I don't think that's very fair either. We all live in this world together, and my agenda and 'normal' is different from someone else's. That doesn't mean we have to hide away, but I don't think it hurts to act sensitively - that's all.

Hope that all makes sense.
    I'm with you 110%.

I am all for breastfeeding in public and did so myself for 12 months in various locations. BUT there were times when I just knew that it would've made certain people around me feel awkward and uncomfortable if I popped out a boob RIGHT in front of them. So instead I chose to move away from them and do it somewhere a little more discrete. Discrete doesn't have to mean running off and hiding in a cubicle in a parent's room either. It might just mean moving a few extra metres away from everyone rather than being right in their faces...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (14-03-2012),Eko  (10-03-2012),GothChick  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope so! And I'll be reminding him of what he said today

Thanks
    Reviews

I just don't care about what people think, my job wasn't to be considerate at this time, my job was to feed my baby, I was trying to establish breastfeeding and her needs were way more important then abit of nipple flash. I mean c'mon it's really not a big deal.
    Yep you are quite right, its so not a big deal, and baby feeding is far more important than worrying what others think.
    I never managed to BF DD for long enough to have to worry about BFing in public but I am really going to persevere with this one, so who knows, I might be back on here in a years time ranting at all the women giving me looks in the supermarket for BFing babe as im walking round the isles and having a go at them for living in the dark ages.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gosh people need to get outside more if a woman feeding a baby is update-worthy. If people are so uncomfortable, stop bloody staring. I've only ever seen a hint of nipple when with friends and she had been breastfeeding and we were talking about it.

I don't come home and say "zomg I saw a woman feeding her baby with a BOTTLE" zomg zomg, no wonder so many women give up considering we have little support then when we do, our bodies are under public scrutiny and ridiculed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'll just throw my 2c in here and agree that it is really sad that people are so freaked out by public breastfeeding. The more we do it, hopefully the more normal it will become.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (10-03-2012),Eko  (10-03-2012),lulululu  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012),trishalishous  (10-03-2012)