+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hehe that description made me laugh lol! But...

My DD refuses to have a cover over her when feeding. Hates it. And I won't use one on principal now (only tried it when I was first starting out & nervous).
    If someone has an issue with my socially unacceptable boobs hanging out because DD likes to be a sticky beak & look around & will let go randomly(thanks love lol)... well they can suck it up. Maybe they would prefer to deal with a screaming, hungry bub?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

laurea  (14-03-2012),Whitman  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    This makes me so angry.
    Feeding a baby is any way shape or form is NOT discusting and anyone who says so should be put in a room with 100 breastfeeding woman!!!!

The ignorance of some people is just astounding!!! In the the day and age where somethign as far out as same sex couples is accepted (and even encouraged) a woman is still shuned for FEEDING HER DAM BABY!!!

If a woman is comfortable she should be able to feed her baby ANYWHERE and NEVER have anyone 'look' at her!!!!
    Can I just say, there is nothing far out about same sex couples- homosexuality has been around for centuries! I don't know what you mean by it being encouraged, but I would encourage anyone to be who they are, not to be gay for the sake of it.
    I think there's nothing wrong with public bfing, I'd prefer to use a sash or wrap for modesty as I personally am not used to exposing my breasts in public- but to each their own.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-03-2012),Eko  (10-03-2012),Etienne  (10-03-2012),Guest1234  (10-03-2012),IndigoJ  (10-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (11-03-2012),lulululu  (10-03-2012),rainbow road  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Better than mine...they're like toes, with a fungus infection!

Nooo not really, they are unused and fab. Like a collectable Star Wars figurine still in its original packaging. But still, at least I flop mine about only when stumbling aroundb drunk and wearing a super low cut dress/top...you know, the socially acceptable way .
    Lol mint condition boobs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooperVagiDuper View Post
    Hmmm im all for breast feeding and not covering up but even I would be iffy on a boob hanging out on a woman while she paid for food and baby isn't attached. Doesn't take much to pull top back up....
    I used to bf dd everywhere and many times that was through checkouts if she popped off I'd say excuse me fix dd or myself up and than pay.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think there's anything wrong with tending to your child's needs immediately, no matter where you are. And covering up? Onl if it is the feeding mother's preference.

Jennibear, if you think same sex relationships are truly accepted then I think you're not looking hard enough. And they're not 'far out'. Homosexuality occurs in over 2000 species, homophobia occurs in only one.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (10-03-2012),Benji  (10-03-2012),Eko  (10-03-2012),Etienne  (10-03-2012),FloatingFairy  (10-03-2012),IndigoJ  (10-03-2012),KnockKnockPenny  (10-03-2012),laurea  (14-03-2012),lulululu  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have d cup saggy boobs with tea cup size nipples and I fed my baby when and where needed.

Breastfeeding women don't need any more barriers to combining feeding and ordinary life.

Australian society has weird double standards. The shops are full of shorts where your bottom hangs out and tiny bikinis, but a utilitarian breast is a big fuss.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

lulululu  (10-03-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I might be setting myself up to be shot down in flames here, but (deep breath)..

I think that unless you are a parent, (perhaps even of a younger child), then it is not unusual to see breasts in a s*xual way rather than in a child related way.

Prior to being pregnant with DD I saw them that way. I had only seen 1 person breastfeeding on one occasion. Other than that I had seen a million images of breasts in a s*xual way. Now that I have a toddler and am surrounded by people with babies, I see it all the time, and the association has changed.

I'm not saying that it's right, but I don't think it's necessarily terrible either. They are there to feed your child, but they are also something that attracts a partner, and for the majority of our lives we don't use them to feed children (sometimes never).

I think that women should be able to feed their kids in public, without feeling uncomfortable.

However, I also think that seeing a breast is not something most people expect when at the supermarket (for example), and people without children may have that initial reaction of it being a body part that they normally associate with s*x.

I think that tolerance and understanding needs to go both ways. Someone earlier mentioned that no breastfeeding woman deliberately shows her breasts. Well, that's not true. I accept that most try to do it in a discreet way, but I have known a couple of women who have been very comfortable with having it all out before/ after attaching the baby (in public), and I think that this can make other people feel uncomfortable.

And for those who say 'So what? That's their problem' - well, I don't think that's very fair either. We all live in this world together, and my agenda and 'normal' is different from someone else's. That doesn't mean we have to hide away, but I don't think it hurts to act sensitively - that's all.

Hope that all makes sense.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (10-03-2012),CazHazKidz  (14-03-2012),Eko  (10-03-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (10-03-2012),LoCo  (12-03-2012),lulululu  (10-03-2012),MegaGuts  (10-03-2012),Mummybear3  (10-03-2012),OS&N  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I would not cover up or hide. Why should my baby have to feed in a little closed in room or with a blanket over her, like some sort of punishment for having a mummy who breastfed her instead of submitting to social norms and feeding her from a bottle?
    Yep this. When dd was born I wanted to bf. many were really comfortable with me bf in front of them. This included when she was 4 days old and I was still learning to attach and practically had to remove my whole top. I was really uncomfortable at first and when I came home I went to my room to feed her. The first two times we went shopping with her I fed in the parent room as I thought that was the socially acceptable thing to do and I was still unsure of the doing it in public. One feeding room was so tiny I couldn't pull the pram in and another was full I ended up feeding on the lounge next to another dad I didn't know and it was gross like sitting in a toilet. So I just decided to feed from then on where ever I was. I never used a cover either. Dd would get more distracted and upset and would result was she would expose me more had I not used it. Her head was always in the way even when she came off anyway. (she has a little melon head lol) I only ever got one comment of a stranger when I was feeding dd in a cafe while having lunch (the cafe even brought the food over to me knowing i couldnt get up ) dd was being difficult and was having trouble attaching I was exposing boob every few seconds and was getting more upset as i don't like to expose a lot of my body. The lady came over and said "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable that I was watching you. But your dd's little toes are so cute when she was eating I couldn't stop watching her"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always tried to feed DS in parents rooms or similar but if he needed to be fed, I was happy to do it anywhere. He was another one who did not like a cover so I just got used to not having one and having people stare. It is such a natural thing and you would think that people would be desensitised with the number of times you see them on TV, magazine covers etc - I suppose mine are not nearly as perfect as theirs though

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahahahhaa. That is freaking hilarious.
    Sorry SPG, but you just made me properly laugh today for the first time (and its 11:30pm, thats how sh!tty my day was)...so, not your intention, but cheers .
    For you hun, I'm willing to overlook it

Nooo not really, they are unused and fab. Like a collectable Star Wars figurine still in its original packaging.
    That I can't overlook , damn you and your good b00bs. Mine were duds before they ever fed a baby - in fact, feeding babies is the only thing they have ever done well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Poor woman . I hate it when bubba pulls off and has a good old look around.
    I'm all for BFing in public. I refuse to go and hide. I would have commented along the lines of how I'm disgusted to read some of the comments etc etc
    I typed out a fantastic reply, and by the time I sent it the thread had vanished into cyberspace...I was so frustrated, which is possibly why I have been stewing and felt the need to start this thread.

I don't know how long the woman who inflicted her breast of a displeasing aesthetic on the poor check out person, but it got the impression from what was written that half a second would have been too long. Even if she had been using a cover, it would have been pretty hard to juggle groceries, paying, a baby and a feeding cover. But it just really made me sad that it all seemed to boil down to it being offensive because the breast wasn't *pretty* enough for her liking.