+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us it did. We wanted to make sure we were financially stable before having our own kids. My hubby already has four children and neither of us wanted them to go without just so we could have a baby. To me it wouldn't have been very fair on them. I don't think there is anything wrong with people getting by on little money if they can make it work. As long as people have enough to provide NEEDS, if you put that with love, happiness and a stable environment and that's all you need.

My parents are proof of that - Dad came from nothing and was one of 4. Mum came from a comfortable lifestyle and was also one of 4. Dad went to public school, went without pretty much everything growing up, hand me downs, shared bedroom etc etc but he turned into a wonderful, amazing, loving father and husband. He had a great career and lived a happy life and was able to provide us with a wonderful life. Mum went to private school, was the first in her street with a colour TV, went on family trips all the time, had a family nice car etc etc and she also turned out to a be a wonderful, amazing wife and mother with a great career. They came from completely different financial backgrounds but both had parents who loved them and created a happy home.

Having a baby is a costly experience for us (IVF and another operation) so we needed to make sure we had enough saved before we started trying.

We both earn a very good combined salary which helps but we still waited until we knew we would have enough so that the other kids didn't suddenly start missing out. Which for both of us was very important that they didn’t feel they were suddenly second best because of a new baby.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much money we have - no amount of money means you can actually have children For some people it's not as easy as just saying "yep lets have another baby". Some people struggle to have just one and that has nothing at all to do with money.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a great deal. I have my worries about money when I think of having more (who doesn't?). However, I also realize that my financial situation today doesn't say much about what it will be tomorrow. There are a hundred reasons our incomes could go up or down and I think unless you're unable to take care of yourself or your family at all, it's not a wise thing to base the number of children you have on.

My answer would have been very different 10 years ago, but I have enough life experience now to know that if you need something you will make it happen.

I also think the debate about private school in this thread is ridiculous. Schooling is a decision based on many factors and if you're basing it on money alone you're going to raise children as stupid as you are no matter how much you shell out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeBabyNo2 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As an only child, I went to a private school & had all of the extras you could imagine. My Mum couldn't have anymore babies, but sometimes I wonder whether a sibling would've been more rewarding. I see some siblings who are best friends & wish I could've had that relationship with someone in my immediate family.

We are currently deciding whether to have #2 or not & unfortunately our family finances comes up very often when we're discussing it. We are on about $75k combined & seem to struggle every month! Its so scary to imagine how much another child would cost if we're close to the bone now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    100% for us!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not at all for me, although DP only wants one or two children because he doesn't want to struggle financially. He's very sensible. Too sensible at times.

I think most families make do with what they have. I know large families whose children are still loved, in warm beds every night, have toys, camping trips, pay the mortgage/rent on time and yet I know financially well off couples with one or two children with large debts who are behind on their mortgage/rent and supposedly 'can't afford' much.

I'll always admire families, especially stay at home parents, who can make a little stretch a long way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely a factor for us. We have 2, and I desperately want a 3rd now, but we can not afford 3 in daycare and I have to work to make ends meet, so we have to be sensible and wait until Hayden is at school before number 3 arrives.

I'd love to have more than 3, but 3 will be our limit. We could not afford more than 3 babies. Wish we could though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.j View Post
    My DH and I are on an average wage but for me finances would not decide if I wanted to have another child. The health of my babies does. We have a 1 in 4 chance that our babies will either not survive a pregnancy or will be born with a terminal condition. I would love, love, love to have another baby but my decision may already be made for me
    I'm so sorry, that really puts things into perspective xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

L.j  (15-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes it did for a while but we were done with the three we have and finances didn't take a part in stopping our family at three, we were just done. It would have been considered had we thought about a 4th, just like it was a consideration when we were going from 2-3.
    I don't think that if we really wanted another child it would stop us but we like living comfortably. We've struggled at times and we hate the stress. Not worrying about how to put food on the table is a nice thing to not have to worry about. My DH is one of nine, his dad has just about always struggled to provide for his kids and can't help them out if they get a bit stuck financially. When he can no longer work it will be up to the kids to pay for him to not be homeless and we'll also have to pay for his brother who has special needs but has never received the therapies he needed because they couldn't afford it....it's not really a great situation and one we don't want for our kids. That certainly doesn't make us materialistic nor does it make our kids spoilt brats.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - I've really enjoyed reading everyones views on this topic. DP and I are just starting or family and already we have been discussing the whole, "how many kids", "age gaps", and what is most important to us. DP and I are very divided on this topic - he wants no more than 2 (financially more stable/ school/ holidays etc.) and I very much have always wanted 4 (always dreampt of large family gatherings/christmas/house full of laughter etc). So it has been great to hear both sides of why people keep at or go beyond 2 kiddies.

At the end of the day i guess the only deciding factor is making sure that you and your other half are on the same page and work together to create a happy family (that is clothed, fed and educated with a roof over-head).

As for us, we'll see how we go with number 1 (i may never want to go back for seconds ).

Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a massive impact for us as we use IVF to conceive. We already invested in 15 cycles to give birth to our beautiful son and so far have fallen pg on our first o back ( thank goodness) but it means we are only able o afford to try maybe one or two more times after this baby. And that does not mean we will get more children